Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carol, I have just been catching up with your thread.
I know it is a while since you posted this but I hope you don't mind me commenting.
I am doing very well with my TKR but I do still sometimes have clunking.
I still have swelling in my TKR knee, a small area below my knee and my whole knee is puffy and gets worse when I do too much.
My knee is sometimes tight and the way it works for me is that the more swollen my leg gets the tighter it gets. If I really overdo things I get tightness that goes down to the sole of my foot.
I have no idea what my ROM is now. Like you I am off all regular pain meds but do have paracetamol as needed.
I think the things you mention all sound normal to me for this stage of recovery. I think you are making steady progress and travelling along your own individual recovery road.
I love reading your thread, you have a wonderful way with words.
I hope life is treating you well today.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yes:
 
but I do still sometimes have clunking
4 years out, I can make my knee clunk on command!
My knee is sometimes tight and the way it works for me is that the more swollen my leg gets the tighter it gets
That's logical - remember this Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?


My extension is 0 and flexion 90 to 120
That does not sound like MUA territory to me. Give it another 6 months and you'll be steaming ahead!

the Queen , who apparently goes to bed early, wasn't to be disturbed if the baby was born during the night. She would get the news when she woke. Very sensible.
I totally agree - rather classic case of "been there, done that, bought the tee shirt", wouldn't you say? :rotfl:
 
Hi Dorothy,

My husband is amazing me. He's such a manager and just handling everything so efficiently.

It's surprising what people can do when they have to. My husband has learned how to switch the oven on and where the vacuum cleaner is kept.

Getting to know your knee is such an important part of the recovery process. From what you say you are definitely on top of it.

Bugs Carol
 
I know it is a while since you posted this but I hope you don't mind me commenting.

Mind! quite the opposite. I started to read your thread and got interrupted. From what I did read you had several issues that may have complicated things for you. Yet you report that you are doing quite well. That bodes well for your 2nd TKR. As I too will have to go down that path, I've been asking around to find out if its easier second time around. I should know better by now. No 2 knees are the same - even if they are attached to the same torso.

But I'm sure you know tons more now than you did on Saturday 2 March. Knowledge and experience will stand us both in good stead. And if all else fails we can talk ourselves to death on BS (only figuratively of course). Carol
 
Ladies my appologise for being absent. Various issues which has seen me trying to drive to Dorset but only managed to drive for an hour before the trapped nerve feeling in the back of my BETTER left leg kicked in :sad: It's very difficult trying to drive the car while rubbing the back of your leg & your buttock cheek! (Parents have just moved back down to Weymouth but my mum is suffering from a chronic anxiety problem which is impacting my dad hugely :sad: )
Also, we've just had to pull out of buying my lovely seaside house as it seems the sellers are total time wasters & having given them 7 weeks to find themselves a property, they still haven't done so & told a few fibs along the way. The chain up to us is waiting to exchange with our buyers wanting to be in by end of August...No stress for us then! We've been trying to find an alternative property & hoping to view 5 on Monday...with 4 being VACANT! I'm so cross because if these people hadn't mucked us about, we probably would have found another place & also be ready to exchange by now :sad:
I've had the blood tests done & I'm back to see the Doctor 1st thing Monday morning. Things aren't getting any worse with the leg but I can't say there is any improvement either.
So, it seems we are all just giving things more time, enjoying the better days & trying to cope with the not so good days.
Wishing you all a peaceful, pain free Sunday. We are off to do another car boot sale to try & make a few pennies & getting rid of lots of un-wanted stuff too :thumb:
 
Hi Dorothy, just a quick good morning before I scoot off to the park. BTW do you use exercise pedals? I'm trying to find out what people think is best ie, the pedals or the stationary bike to help improve bend and strengthen leg. The pedals don't take up much room in my kitchen, but I'll go to the trouble of getting a bike if its thought to be so much better. Carol
 
I got a bike but to be honest am never on it now...it makes a great clothes hanger!
I did use it at first but then I was referred to the local authority gym by the physio, because its a medical referral membership is half price, and there is a pool too
 
Carol, I haven't been able to use the stationery bike since 9 weeks out when I had the pulled groin, abductor muscles, or tendonitis orwhatever it is. Before that I loved the bike and warned up on it for 15 minutes every time I went to PT. I think the bike I bought was just a little bit too mch for me. Right now, after traveling with no knee problems, my knee has decided to let me know it's still there. It hurts to walk, so I've been resting, elevating, icing, and elevating in between doing small projects around here. As soon as we get settled in town, I'm going to see my OS and get some specific therapy for my knee, hopefully water therapy, but I am determined I will conquer this (as you will). My depression fog has finally limited, I think a lot of it was caused by untreated asthma (I was in denial - after years of treatment, I was fine, so I just stopped.)

As far as pedals or bike, I think whatever feels the best for you. I love the bike and have never used the pedals, but it sounds like they're working for you. Hope you had a good walk, my friend, and that you're having a nice relaxing Sunday. My big job right now is to look for a movie to rent to watch this evening. We watched "Side Effects" last night which was actually quite good. Do you have something like the RedBox movie rental kiosks we have here?

Hugs and not too many busgs, Dorothy
 
Jaki, I am mortified to hear about your mucked up real estate transaction. I hope you're able to find something here. I guess you should have put that condition on the sale of your house. I know that is happening here. It's recommended that you not sell, because the market is so hot right now, until you know where you're going. Of course, that's why we have to wait 5 months for our house to be built. We have our pre-construction meeting tomorrow to finalize details on wiring, etc.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your mother. Has she taken ATivan? That's what they put me on and it's really helped and doesn't give me any sleepy side effects. I'll be interested in hearing what the dr. has to say tomorrow. Hope you're having a peaaceful Sunday, and that you find a property tomorrow.

Hugs,
Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, thanks for your thoughts on the bike v pedals. Will stick with the latter.

There are various ways to rent films, but I don't bother. Instead I buy DVDs preferably big box sets which last a long time. I loved the Sopranos. Currently watching Battleship Galactica. I am into science fiction, but sadly stuff worth watching is hard to find.

Sorry to hear you are finding walking difficult again. But we know the score by now. It will feel better tomorrow. More and more I am of the opinion that all our knees need is time. We can knock ourselves out doing this that and the other thinking its what's needed. When in fact all that is needed at this stage is to get on with life. I am hoping to go back to dancing on Tuesday. Its a laugh because sometimes I can hardly walk, but I'm going to give it a try. Even if I only manage a few dances (even one dance) I will be over the moon. I'll let you know how it goes. Bugs C.
 
Carol, I have both the floor pedals and a semi-recumbant bike. Right now I use just the floor pedals, forwards and backwards. I had reached a point after my RTKR and before my LTKR where I used both. I like the bike better, but can't get on it right now because it has a big bar that I have to get my leg over and I can't. So I use the floor pedals. One nice thing about the floor pedals too is I have hubby set them on the table and exercise my arms and shoulders too.
Morgaine
 
Hi Morgaine, Gosh you were a gutsy lady - RTKR Jan and the Left in May! Respect. What excellent lateral thinking. I never thought to use my pedals to exercise my arms and shoulders. I think my brain has turned to jelly since my TKR. For ages I used to exercise on a bed about the same time each day. The sun used to shine through the window and disturb me (no curtains/blinds). Then one day the penny dropped. I thought why don't I just lie with my head at the bottom of the bed instead of the top then my face wont be in the sun. Worrying isn't it? Carol
 
Carol, gusty? Thanks, but more necessity than gutsy. I admire the people who have both knees done at the same time. And yes, our minds can seem at times to turn to jelly! I think it is because we have to just stop doing all the things we are used to rushing around to do, and rest, ice, elevate, and medicate!

Morgaine
 
Hi Carol,

Dancing sounds really good. You must be doing a lot better if you'e even thinking about that. Does i still hurt when you walk? I walked the whole supermarket this morning, pushing the cart, and now I'm home resting because my knee hurt the whole time I was walking and is throbbing right now. That's my little whine for the day. Don't know if I should see the dr. or just grin and bear it. On a more fun note, feeling great, and looking forward to our pre-construction meeting with the builder this afternoon.

But, as you said yesterday we know the score, it just takes time and a whole lot of patience. I will be thinking of you dancing away.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, Yes I am feeling better, but as I said I am going to give the dancing a go, but wont know until tomorrow whether its all wishful thinking. I seem to be at the stage now that so long as I don't ask the knee to do too much its OK. The trouble with that is that I am still living a sort of half life. There are so many no go areas - especially after 6pm. The knee feels as if its full of spanners, all moving and jostling around. Every now and then they touch a nerve. So I am forever rubbing my leg. Quick, quick, rub, rub, rub.

I have had a real easy day today. I did my walk in the park - just over a mile. But that was about it. The rest of the day I've just been pottering around. I really like supermarket shopping because it is so much easier being able to hold onto the trolley. Its a support, but nobody knows what you're up to. So you look like a normal person again. Oh those lovely bygone days when I was a normal person. Will they EVER come back!

Re. seeing your doctor. Obviously I can't feel what you are feeling. But I would say that unless you are feeling something different eg, additional pain, severe swelling etc. then I would be inclined not to bother. Don't think they can do much - its a waiting game.

What happens at your preconstruction meeting? Do you get to choose precisely what you want and where you want it? There's a tv programme here called Grand Designs. The presenter always makes the point that no matter who builds their own home, that there is always something they wished they had done differently, even if its a small thing. So think long and hard as to where you want everything. Keep having fun, that's what its all about. Bugs C.
 
Hi Carol,

Had a really busy day yesterday and slept really good except for taking a pain pill at 3 a.m. because my knee was throbbing. I am going to see my Surgeon today, just for reassurance. As uou said, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day yesterday. Our meeting was fairly brief. It was just to go over all the details of what we;ve selected, and where we want outlets for gas, caboe, and electrical. As you suggested, it's just to make sure we everything will be built according to what we've selected, etc. He gave us the earliest possible finish date of 6 November, which would be great. And, of course, we browsed through the model home just trying to get a feel for it.

One thing I'm encouraged by, I did a lot more than I usually do yesterday, and I am no worse for the wear. So will try to do even more today. Have yourself a wonderful day.

Bugs, D
 
Hi Dorothy, That means you will be in for Christmas. How lovely. I suspect you did a lot more yesterday because you were enjoying yourself. So you know what that means - more and more enjoyment is what Dr Carol orders.

Went to my dance class today. Couldn't manage it. A bit disappointed, but at the back of my mind I always knew it was over ambitious. Still its a goal - may be by christmas things will be different.

My 66th birthday is just around the corner. My body knows its 66, but my head doesn't. We are having a small party, but I wont be able to dance of course. May be I could get my husband to put me in a wheelchair and he could swing the chair to the beat of the music. Do you think it might work? I'll have to be careful though. If the music's too fast and the chair is spinning I could end up flying through the air <chuckle>.

Bugs Carol
 
patient 99. Is Mutley ok. She dosent seem to be responding to posts. I hope shes ok because I know shes been a bit down lately.sorry to hear your dancing didnt work out. Hopefully we will all turn a corner soon. My ROM will be 180 without effort, you will be dancing zumba and Dorothy and Jackie will be getting jiggy with it. :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance:
 
robynhood @ Mutley Her last message seemed to suggest she was very preoccupied with the house business. So I thought it best to give her space. She may have loads to do, and rabbiting away to us lot is not top of her list. If you are reading this Jaki you are in our thoughts. Very best wishes. Hope the results of the blood tests prove helpful. xx Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom