TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carol,

Yes, hopefully we'll be in our new home by Thanksgiving but in any event it will be before Christmas. Jus going to elaxx and enjoy the process, and I'm looking forward to being in the city where we can just pop out to the museum, a good restaurant, theater,etc. We are getting down to the nitty gritty here. I do go see my OS yesterday. He examined me thoroughly and said my ROM and exxtension are fine and that it just takes time. trailspud, he agreed about the muscle thing with the Levaquin delaying my recovery. I was very happy to hear he felt my leg strength was very good and that I just need to work on core strength. ChairYoga and Water therapy here we come. Not to mention the 3 story town home I'm going to be living in for a few months. Those stairs should be good PT.

Mutley and you are in our thoughts. I know how busy you must be getting the house thing straightened out.

Have a grea time,

Hugs and Bugs, D
 
Carol, no matter how hard I try to correct those typos I just can't seem to get it perfect. Oh well, who needs perfection anyhow. It;s all just part of a process with no beginning and no end. I mean that in a good way. Just trying to enjoy every moment as it comes along Today is a puts around the house day. My husand is in office working and I just keep going through doors and cabinets and tossing things. It's great fun. Hope Mutley is doimg okay and hanging in there.

What day is your birthday? Sounds like you're planning on enjoying it and I bet you do dance on your bithday. At least a few steps. I trieed dancing on one of my last nights out before TKR and it didn't work out so well. We have some Brit friends sho have a band. They're actually pretty good, especially with the old Beatles songs and they play at pubs throughout Houston. Next time I see them I will be able to dance.

Have a grea day.

Bugs, D
 
Hi Dorothy, keep up the good work both with your knee and with the house. Just out of curiosity what you do think of the medical provision in the USA. I've been chatting in Social Room (as it has nothing directly to do with TKRs) on this topic and just wondered what you thought. Carol
 
Glad you asked Carol, While we do have our problemd with our medicl system - it is for profit and we are at the mercy of big pharma, big insurance, all for profit. I've been on Medicare for 4 years, and it is the best coverage I've had. Had no problem getting TKR, etc. Other providers, who just don't want to do them because there's more money, make all these conditions, i.e. shots, physical therapy before they will possible consider surgery. I almost went on a rant yesterday reading what someone who shall remain unnamed, was going on about Obama Care yesterday. There is so much negative proproganda going on here, most of which is not true, and certainly not based on facts.

It'ss a regional thing as well. Texas has the largest percentage of insured in the country,yet if you have insurance, we have some of the best care in the world. Anyhow, it's a subject I could go on and on about but I best keep my rants private, as this is not a political forum, and it get'svery political when ever the Obamacare discussion is brought up. I'll have to take a look a the social room and see what information and misinformation is going on there.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, I think the last 5 months is starting to catch up with me. The enforced half life (where my knee demands that I can't do much after 7pm) is increasingly putting a strain on me. I know, I know I have to be patient, but as you know, it sure is hard. I chuckled at your reference to your ranting re Medical Care in the USA. I think sometimes its good to have a rant. Gets rid of some of the built up stress. By the way, I actually think Obama is very attractive (certainly up there with George Clooney in my opinion). That's got to be more important than what he stands for <wink>. Carol....................I am not loosing it. I am not loosing it. I am...................
 
I know what you mean about the half life. I am just now getting the energy to do something at night, but no I don't think you're losing it all. We were out last night, so I slept until 8:30 thiss morning. I am just now getting the energy to think I might possibly want to do something at night. Has a great evening though and everything we can do that feels normal is a step forward. Right now I just want to survive the next 12 days until we're out of here, I'm starting to panic a little bit now so will be glad when this part of the move is over. I tend to build things up in my mind, when relly they're not such a big deal. And no, you are definitely not loosing it.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, Good heavens, I hadn't realized you only had 12 days to go. Can quite understand your panic. I too have a tendency to think things are bigger than they really are. But nevertheless 12 days! Its a mixed bag isn't it. Pressure on the one hand and excitement on the other. I know I've said it before, but I really do think that contrary to what I would have thought, your move has come at such a good time. No time to dwell on knees. In 12 days you will be a carefree city girl with your daughter and her partner close at hand. You might like it so much you wont want to move. No I can't see that happening, your new place looks so good. x Bugs Carol
 
Yes, it's coming right upon us. We have a "goodby" gathering Saturday night, although we're only moving 50 miles away, but I'm looking forward to it. Eveything just seems to have fallen in place. Makes me really feel for Jaki, I hope they've been able to work things out this week and look forward to hearing good news from her. Gosh, I was reading some of what I've written, and I'm really not illiterate, I can still blame it on this I-Pad and the fact that I'm too lazy to go to the laptop. Taking a rest right now and this ice feels sooooo good after being out in the heat.

Hope you feel good enough to do something fun this evening or that you'realready doing just that as it must be eveing in the U.K. already.

Bugs, D.
 
Dorothy, so excited for your move to a new home built to your specs--and 50 miles is the perfect distance: far enough for change of scene, not too far to reconnect often with friends and neighbors. Having been a city kid all my life (except for childhood Catskill Mt. summers) in Brooklyn, Seattle and now Chicago, I can assure you that living in a city will make you feel more alive and connected than you ever felt possible. (Just make sure to get away to the countryside and "unplug" every now & then).

Carol, wish we in the US could combine single-payer healthcare with an option to use private providers and one's own insurance or self-pay when choice of provider and timely service is of the essence. All I know (as both a patient and the wife of a doc who does not just cardiology but primary care) is that the U.S. system is seriously broken; and the ACA ("Obamacare") is a sorely-needed first step that is (contrary to scaremongers) already showing positive results. But its too-narrow scope was necessitated by compromises demanded by those now trying to kill it. Those of you in other nations: did you know our Congress' approval rating is a staggering 18%? (I hear thumbscrews, waterboarding, rabid bats, rotting Limburger cheese and overflowing septic tanks are now more popular). It used to be everyone hated Congress but loved their own Senators & Representatives....but even that's no longer the case. (My Congresswoman is still a saint, however).

We Yanks have a saying: Our political system is the worst in the world......except for all other political systems ;) !
 
Dulcimer Diva Obamacare does seem to have polarized Americans. I don't know enough about it to have an opinion, and my attempts to find out more, rather overwhelmed me. I just hope for everyone's sake (Republicans and Democrats) that you get something that works.

But its too-narrow scope was necessitated by compromises demanded by those now trying to kill it.

That's Democracies for you. But we've yet to come up with something better.


We Yanks have a saying: Our political system is the worst in the world......except for all other political systems ;

Chuckle.
 
Hello my lovely Bonesmart ladies :)
I'm so sorry, not intending to ignore you BUT another mad, bad, mental week has flown by with hardly a moment to grab a cheeky Stella or two :sad:
1st, blood tests proved to all be normal EVEN my cholesterol level!!! However, my good idea of going back to see this locum Dr because I thought she was interested/concerned about me proved to be a bad mistake :sad: She hadn't read my notes or checked the results & I don't think she even recalled what a state I'd been in when I saw her last time. Basically said, " I really don't know what to say to you?" :shocked: Offered me some more physio to see if all this is down to a " Gait" issue but that was it. So no proper pain medication & still no answers to my intense bouts of pain. I told her not to bother & left the surgery not a very happy bunny. I've decided to just try & " get on with it" trying to ignore the aches & pains & keep telling myself there is NOTHING wrong with me......Bored with the whole saga after 8 months so therefore I'm not gonna talk about this duff leg any more.......
Next, the house move. I think I last said we had decided to look elsewhere due to the sellers being a pain in the backside. Well, spent 2 days house hunting, took our youngest daughter down to view a potential replacement...she hated it which then made me question if it was the right place for us. Slept on it & in the morning after much discussion we decided to put in an offer. No sooner had we come off the phone to that agent my mobile rang & it was the " house by the sea" agents. " Good news!" They said, Mr& Mrs B have now found a place, put in an offer & it's been accepted with vacant possession. We then had to have a quick "House" meeting & decide which property to go for. We rang the original sellers & basically said, we're not being rude BUT are you DEFINITELY moving out as you've mucked us about for 8 weeks now? They reckoned they would be, we're going to nag they're solicitors to push things through quickly & could pack up & move out in line with everyone else.....
So, we have gone with our heart & are still hopefully going to be the owners of the house by the sea. I REALLY hope they go through with it or I might end up in prison for GBH or even MURDER! Still waiting for they're solicitors to get draft contracts to our solicitors so REALLY hope they arrive by Monday...Watch this space :sigh:
Which brings me to you lovely ladies! How are YOU all doing? I hope all is well & just want to say that I'm always thinking of you all even if I can't get on here quite as much at the moment :friends: Jaki xx
 
Jaki, it's good to hear from you, I'm just so sorry you didn't have better results with the dr. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all will go smoothly with your transition to the seaside house. Dulcimer Diva, thanks for your good wishes about our move. We're really looking forward to it, even living with our daughter and her partner for awhile. I was delighted to learn yesterday that Houston's restaurant weeks just started yesterday, so will be able to explore some great restaurants at a fixe price. They probably do that in the Chicago area too. It's for a great cause, the Houston Food Bank, and you can get lunch for $20.00 and dinner for $35.00 at some of the finest restaurants in town. I appreciate what you said about our healthcare system. We really needed to start somewhere, and I've heard many good things about it from people who have been able to take advantage of what has already been in effect. We have been fortunate to have good medical car here but they do overdo it sometimes.

It sounds like you're doing really well in your recovery., and that you're really active. I loved your story of being hungry in the rain, and that fried chicken sounds really good. Every once in a whiie the native Iowan comes out in me and I crave fried chicken.

How are you doing Carol? Still celebrating that birthday. I hope so. Happy Birthday in case you never tell me what the exact date is.
It's been fairly busy around here, just getting ready for someone else to do the move. Since we're going into stoarage, we have to sort out all the liquids, etc. since they won't take those. We just moved into this house 4 years ago and it's amazing how much "stuff" you can accumulate. We have moved a lot so I can't even imagine what it's like to live in the sameplace for 30 years and then move.

Small update for me. Knee seems to be doing better . I've had an acive day today so now on ice with leg elevated. I had an appointment with my cardiologist this morning, and found out (I have a pacemaker and had just had it downloaded), that I have been goinng in out of atrial fibrillation. I've had 3 ablations so this was very disappointing to learn. Fortunately, I have no other heart problems, so I don't have to go on coumadin but can stay on the 325 coated aspirin. Another ablation is just out of the question. No one is touching this body or another procedure right now, The reason I'm telling you about this is that I think because of the TKR being such a harsh surgery, we tend to attribute all symptoms to that, when there can be something else going on with our bodies zapping our energy and impeding our healing. In my case it's been various problems the biggest of which are the asthma and atrial fibrillation, which are probably linked together.

I can't believe how much better I feel now, and I'm looking forward to the knee getting better along the way, but know that now that I feel like myself, I can get through and live with whatever comes my way. Just keep that chocolate coming.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Jaki, good to hear from you. I know exactly what you mean about just forgetting about the blessed knee. It tends to take over your whole life and peoples eyes get glazed over when you start saying anything about them. There is life after TKR but its hard to find sometimes.last time I moved I said never again. So frustrating and we have collected so much stuff i wouldnt know where to put everything. I really hope things go smoothly now for you. You really have had enough stress. So heres to your future. Good house move, no more hassles from your knee. By the way your GP is more useless than most. I cant believe she wasnt more sympathetic and at least talked about pain relief. Good to hear from you again. I miss your and Carols posts. They made my day. TTFN Mutley
 
Hi Jaki

I am suffering from BS withdrawal. My broadband has been down for 3 DAYS. I've had to watch TV. Its a poor substitute. How it works is that IT does the talking. You are expected to listen - you can't even get a few words in during the adverts. And get this - nobody talks about knees!!!! It will NEVER catch on.

Did the draft contracts arrive? Quite understand why you felt let down by the locum. Not even to remember you from the previous visit - awful. So you struggle on. Everything checks out OK, but you still have the pain. There comes a point (and you sound as if you are there) when you've asked all the questions you can, you've seen all the specialist there are to see, you've done the exercises and you've hit a big full stop. Only I am not totally convinced that you have. There is still that old thing called TIME. Look at it this way Jaki if it can take up to 12 -15 months to fully heal you still have a way to go. Chin up. Carol

ps:
Hello my lovely Bonesmart ladies

Hope this includes me.
 
turtle68
Hi Dorothy, 8 days to go. The excitement must be building.

I have been goinng in out of atrial fibrillation.
I don't know much about heart conditions to appreciate the significance of this. Is it as serious as it sounds?

I too am counting the days, but not for anything as nice as the first step to a new house move. Mine is to do with seeing the OS on the 16th. I just want the day to come. I don't care any more if it means an MUA or not an MUA. I just want to know if my knee is recovering normally or not. If its not, then I want to get on with whatever the OS thinks needs to be done. Hope I leave my meeting with him with some clarity. Bugs Carol
 
Hi Carol, the main problem with a-fib is that it increases your risk of stroke. The atria (upper chamber) pumps out of rhythmn and a boood clot can form there and then cause a stroke. I've been dealing with this for years, but fortunately I have no other heart problems so I don't have to take coumadin, just 325 aspirin a day. Is your knee feeling any better at all? These knees are strange - mine was really swollen in a new spot yesterday so I mostly rested and elevated yesterday. It's so hot here,it doesn't bother me at all to stay in. Just been doing bits and pieces of organization and getting rid of stuff. More furniture being picked up for donation tomorrow. And yes the excitement is building. I've been waking up at 3 a.m. and having a hard time going back to sleep. I think it's just now sinking in that we really ae moving.

I hear you about wanting to know if your knee is heeling normally. They did tell us up to a year, but I always thought I was going to beat those odds. I did go to the dr. last week and he seemed to think everything was coming along okay and to come back in 3 months and they will do x-rays. Do hope you get some clarity.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Carol, of COURSE it includes you :) Crikey, ( English phrase meaning, oh my gosh to explain to my American friends!) this is a hard enough journey on your own so friends along the way is a massive help & a MASSIVE BONUS, no matter what stage of recovery any of us are at! Still no news from our " new house" purchase solicitors so will ring them direct tomorrow & see what's what! Dorothy, so excited that things are moving along swiftly for you :) Carol, counting the days until the 16th. Everything crossed here & that he says all is well and as expected for this stage of your recovery! Xx
 
I love the Crikey phrase. Can't wait to try it out on some of my friends here from the U.K. Hope you hear from your new house solicitors soon. We feel like we're getting there on the move but of course it will be a mad rush at the end.

Dorothy
 
Good morning, we're getting down to the last few days here. Had our cat's foster parents ove for dinner last night and they seemed to hit it off. My 19 lb. cat loves any one who will feed him and cuddle him, so he should be fine. I'm going to miss him though, although I will have my daughter's cats for company. I hesitate to say it because it could change tomorrow but knee, along with my stamina, seems to be doing much better. I've been wearing a compression sleeve and it really seems to help, and I'm starting to feel alive until I crash about 10.

So there is hope, Carol. Maybe it's that six months turnaround they talk about. Hope to hear from Jaki soon that her contract for new house is signed, sealed, and delivered. Have a great evening.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, so pleased to hear you are making good progress. Staying awake until 10. Now that is impressive. I went shopping today and my knee wasn't too bad. But tonight is a different story. It feels like somebody has tied the rubber bands particularly tightly. Its as if my knee was wrapped like a parcel. If I could just cut the string it would be free and I could walk without any restrictions. Because it is better in the morning than at night would seem to suggest that its not scar tissue. I would think that scar tissue wouldn't change over the course of the day. Does that seem logical to you?

Feeling a bit down tonight. My sister isn't helping. She keeps going on about all the things we could be doing, but can't because of my knee. Today she said how she is a young looking 62yr old. I felt like an old looking 66 yr old. I think I am having what your side of the pond call a pity party. Poor old Carol with the dodgy knee. She can't dance and she looks like a giraffe when she tries to stand up.

That's enough of that. I will give myself a good talking to, sit up straight (because I still can) and tomorrow I will come out fighting - I'll beat the hell out of a jelly (because I still can). xx Bugs Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom