TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @carol I think it wonderful that they are making a thread for recoveries that did not go as easy as others. Happy that you can share your story with others too. I understand how frustrating it is to have to deal with these issues as I to have had a challenging recovery. You have done the best you can and as my surgeon said not all knee work out as easy as others. You have had other issues to handle to The cancer you had on your head as well and with all of this you seem to have kept your sense of humor. I had things to my Dad died 2 weeks before surgery my diabetes flared up and then still no bend even with all I have done I am stuck at 90 degrees and still managing the best I can. I can do most of what I need and could not do this before surgery on this knee. I really believe that people need to hear the other side of the story. Maybe they are struggling to and with this new thread rather then discouraging them with the surgery it may make them feel like things can be alright . Not alone in being the only one that is not climbing to the range that most may achieve and not like they are just doing it all wrong.

Bone smart is the place that told me that I was not alone when nothing seemed to be working right pain was unbearable and no relief from pills. So many come through this surgery thank goodness wtih no complications their flex climbs steady and they have a handle on the pain not all recoveries go this quick and smooth I wondered what was wrong with me sometimes felt like I had failed.

Your story will help it is actually a story of success as you have managed so many hurdles and I am so happy that it will be shared. Hoping you do not go away for good. You have a nice thread visited not often posted sometimes not sure when things are frustrating what to say but have stopped in often to see how you are doing. I hope you do keep updating as this may be the way of helping to share when things are going good or bad and may be the way that others reading your posts will manage along their way as well. An inspiration for sure.

I will keep reading your progress and hope that all the best is yours along your journey. Remembering how many caring people when I first came here and so many caring people here still that help me still and are there when I need someone to talk to. They have always been there. I also have to give credit to my husband he watched when I cried and said things would be find he was always telling me how proud of me he was and kept pointing out the things he saw me improving on kept never told me I needed to do better. He stood by me all the way and still does. Could not have got where I have without his always saying I was doing great that is so very important. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Carol, I read your condensed thread and it brought back so many memories, particularly how you helped so many who were struggling along with you. This has been a long journey for both of us and I don't think I'd be where I am today without all your wonderful words of encouragement and kindness.

You mentioned the calf support helping you with the tight band issue. Is that something different than the tape? I've become very dependent on the K tape, tried going without it yesterday, and when I went to exercise my tendonitis on the inside of my knee was very painful so I have no qualms about continuing to use it. Still a work in progress here too.

@Dabber I was delighted to hear you got to go to Paris and Hope your knee and stamina continue to improve.@pumpkin Glad to hear you're seeing some improvement and hope it continues.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
I read your condensed thread and it brought back so many memories
Hi Dorothy, I bet it did. You were there helping me through most of it. I promised Jamie that I would update my thread from time to time so that the condensed version in the library will have an actual end. Somebody (Jamie I think) must have put in a lot of work to get this condensed version. As more stories/journeys of challenging recoveries are added I feel sure it will be of benefit to all the people who will come after us.

Re. the K tape and my elastic calf support. They work in different ways, but both seem to act like a comfort blanket. If it helps, stick with it.

Do be sure to let me know how you are from time to time. I will do the same. Take care Dorothy. x
 
I keep plodding on trying to exercise by walking.

Hi Sue, you were a very brave woman to do the Paris trip. It can't have been easy. ` Plodding along' sounds negative, but its that continued determination that has stood you in good stead. I wont ask you any questions, because I know your cancer forums are where your attention is.

Be sure to keep us updated. xx Carol

ps: they used my neck as the donor sight for my head because it seemed to them as good a place as any!
 
I put the "challenging recovery" thread in the Knee Library post op forum. You can find it under Concerns After Knee Surgery. In the index it's under the "TKR" section. But I think I'll also put a listing under Challenting TKR Recoveries.
 
I will read the condensed version of your thread Carol, I'm not sure whether I've read the whole thread because I didn't find BS before my TKR and 3 1/2 months after surgery I had cancer. You can ask me questions dear, you'll always be my friend.:friends:

Mentally I'm strong but physically rather weak right now, tire very easily and my legs just seize up and are agony but I think that may be the maintenance therapy.

@ new knee in June I've been looking at Maine and New Hampshire and wishing I could go there, it looks lovely. I've never had a strawberry diaquris and only twice lobster, but I have a plan there to go to Whitby for lobster. There was a lovely restaurant in Paris doing blue lobster but I wasn't sure what it was cooked/served with.

@ patient 99 do you live in a forest with 35 trees?

I'm starting my OU course soon on heart disease and cancer, they don't do one on arthritis or I could go for the hat trick :heehee:

Dabs
 
@patient 99
Hi Carol,

I have not been on for a while. It took me a bit to get back into the swing of things after the disaster that kept the site so slow. Everything seems to be better so I wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Hope your pains go away and you do not have to wear the calf support for very long.

I see that @new knee in June may have been a bit short on the veggie jokes. Have you heard this one that I just posted on my thread?

Q: What does an annoying pepper do?
A: Get jalapeno business
:rotfl::heehee::rotfl::heehee:....

Have a great night!
 
Hi Carol,
Just saying a quick hello.
I hope you are well.
Miss your fun posts.
xox
:flwrysmile:
 
@patient 99
Hello my Dearest Carol,
Are you back from Vacation Yet ? I will wait to hear from you so we can compare
Notes :) I am thrilled the Summer is over, my favorite time of year is here :happydance:Cool,
Crisp fall weather, I must get some Pumpkin spice candles & Vanilla ones too. I will finally
Start cooking ( yes, I am quite the cook ) I will be planting Fall Mum's & decorating the yard
With corn stalks & Pumpkins :yahoo:I feel soooooooo much better & have soooooooo much more
Energy in the Fall & Winter.
Will wait for your reply :friends:
All my Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
Hi Carol, :wave:
Was just thinking about you, and wondering how things were going? Is it just the same old same old, as a friend of my Mom's used to say when you asked her how she was.
It is still hot here, and we have smoke from a big fire south of here. Stuck in the house, until Thursday when it is supposed to blow somewhere else.
 
Are you back from Vacation Yet ?

Hi Diana, Yes I've been back a few days. There were good bits and not so good bits about my holiday. Good bits first. Nice weather, lovely beach, pretty little town. Not so good. Nothing much to do in the evenings and the portions of food in the hotel were tiny.

On the second night we were having pre dinner drinks in the lounge when the waiter came to take the food order. I explained that the food the previous night had been tasty but that there wasn't enough of it. I went on to say that I would like MORE food at this meal. He looked confused. So I asked if there was any bit of what I had said that he didn't understand. No reply. Later we made our way into the restaurant, and guess what? the amount of food was just the same - tiny. I honestly couldn't be bothered to kick up a fuss - particularly as M gets embarrassed. The upshot of it all was that I lost 2 lbs on my holiday:heehee:. On the subject of food. You said you were `quite a cook'. What is your speciality dish? Tell it to me in english please. I'm still trying to work out what Fall Mum's are. You say that you plant them. Hmmmmm apples fall and mum's bake apples. Are you planting apple trees??

xx Carol
 
@patient 99 Good to see you and your humor back!
[Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
 
Was just thinking about you, and wondering how things were going?

Hi Chris, I've just been over to your thread to check up on you. I was pleased to see that things are getting a little better for you. Things continue to improve for me too. So it just goes to show that even at 19 months post op healing continues. One of these days I will message you saying `Chris I no longer need my elastic calf sleeve'. One of these days. And what might you message me?? may be `Carol I am pain free'. One of these days. xx Carol
 
@patient 99 LOL Fall mum's are a plant that mainly blooms in the fall. [Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Hubby is doing pretty good. ROM is 130/3 on the knee #2 and 125/3 on knee #1. He has a tendon behind his knee that is giving him some issues, but OS said it will be okay. I am fine. Allergies are finally calming down with the cooler weather.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom