TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pumpkln Chris is there any one place on the BS site devoted to `happy endings' from people who have taken longer than usual to recover. carol
That's an interesting idea!!! We're going to see what might be done. Right now there is only the thread for Amazing Recovery Stories. But we do have folks who get through a challenging recovery and find success with some time and those stories could mean a lot for folks who are also having difficulty.
 
My message was lost in the forum change over. @patient 99 we didn't go as I was too tired but may be able to go another day. I'd like to see the poppies at the Tower too.
 
@new knee in June Hi Diana, we had the tail end of Hurricane Bertha. We had a lightening strike and it blew my hub, so have had no internet access for 3 days. Did you think I had snuk into the Promised Land by the side door and was having too much of a good time to message? No. I was sitting in my office trying to make my machine work with the power of thought. Don't know why I keep trying that. It never works.

Had a bad day yesterday. My knee was stiff and quite uncomfortable. But there do now seem to be more good days than bad. I saw the PT today. He felt my leg just about the knee. He was looking for a muscle - but there wasn't one. I am going to have to do better with my weight training.

Remember you said a while ago that you thought the way to get rid of excessive scar tissue was more surgery. The PT today was saying it could be coaxed into lying better (not get in the way) with exercise. Be interesting to hear what others think about this. Sometimes I think PTs think that exercise is the answer to everything including ingrowing toe nails (@Pumpkln sorry Chris, just joking).

Hope things are good with you.xx Carol
 
@patient 99
Hi Carol :wave:
I just returned from Camping. Had a great time :happydance:When you said the lightning blew
Out your Hubs, I thought you meant "hubby" Is Mike O.K ? :shocked:
If your P.T couldn't find your thigh muscle, that is not good. It supports your knee & needs
To be strong.:upright:I'm sorry Stormy is acting up, I'm sure the weather had something to
Do with it :console2: There is still a place for you in "PROMISED LAND" ( the key is under the mat ):heehee:
VEGETABLE JOKE of the day :happydance::yay::egypdance::dancy::yahoo:
2 tomatoes in the garden decided to go on a 1st date. What did the male tomato say to his date ?
Answer..... Your place or vine ? ( mine) :rotfl::rofsign::loll::rotfl::rofsign:
Have a wonderful Day,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Carol, I haven't posted for awhile but I wanted to let you know how thrilled I am to hear of your progress. Our journeys have been so similar and I seem to be right in there with the tape helping so much. We're in Wisconsin again and enjoying beautiful, cool weather. We drove up again (1200 miles) and I encountered much less stiffness. Are you able to go down stairs normally? I'm finally able to do that and able to ride the recumbent bike without pain.

@new knee in June I've been enjoying reading your adventures to the PL and glad you're doing so well. @pumpkin I'm so sorry your recovery has been painful and slow and I do hope you get some resolution soon I went through a long, slow recovery and like Carol, I was still in a lot of pain until about a year. Still hurts sometimes. I've started sleeping on my side again and waking up in pain on the medial side of my knee.

Also, I still have the bruising like yours on the back of your knee but it's on the front. Could be some misalignment there but at this point I will just live with it.

Carol, I didn't mean to steal your thread but I haven't been on it for so long, I doubt if I could find it.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Diana,

When you said the lightning blew
Out your Hubs, I thought you meant "hubby" Is Mike O.K ?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:


I just returned from Camping. Had a great time
I heard on the news that Obama is holidaying on an island in your neck of the woods. You didn't bump into him by any chance? He has probably forgotten all about the troubles in the middle east and is right now telling the White House Staff a few vegetable jokes............................. how do you tell a president from a stick of celery? I've know idea. You do the punch lines:rotfl:


If your P.T couldn't find your thigh muscle, that is not good.[/quWITote]

Guess so. But I'm peddling, lifting weights front and back, walking, gardening etc etc. Don't know what else to do. One thing I've noticed. I can now stand up from most any seat height WITHOUT using my hands. Impressed?

I've missed you. C
 
Hi Dorothy, good to hear from you.


Are you able to go down stairs normally? I'm finally able to do that and able to ride the recumbent bike without pain.

Yes I can go up and down sort of normally. I try not to use the handrail. Your knee in many ways seems to be improving. From your reports you can certainly do a lot more than say 6 months ago. I wonder why you get medial pain during the night. No doubt you've done all the usual things ie, put a pillow under your knee. At this stage I think like me you have probably tried everything.

Looking on the bright side, its not stopping you from travelling and getting out and about. I guess we have to be thankful for small mercies. xx Carol

Please don't bother about using my thread. As I've said to Sue I'm more than happy for it to be used as a drop in centre. I understand the idea of separate recovery threads, but it doesn't lend itself to having a chat. You take good care of yourself. Let me know of any more knee improvements - it gives hope.
 
Carol, yes I am thankful for "small" and many large mercies. I have been especially stunned by Robin Williams, and remembering where I was mentally a year ago fills me with gratitude. There is no greater pain, even a knee replacement, than major depression. He was my all time favorite comedian and actor, and at least the attention mental illness is getting may help so many who suffer so much. Is there a great stigma to mental illness in the U.K. like there is here? Just curious.

We just got back from a beautiful park where our grandkids and Jim kayaked. Beautiful 70 degree weather. We have been with them all week. and Jim says babysitters don't make nearly enough money. They're great kids but just not used to keeping up with a 7 and a 12 year old. We are staying in a nearby hotel so we get a break and then taking them to the Dells on Monday.

Have enjoyed all the veggie jokes, especially since I'm really into vegetables now. Jim and I have been going to WW and he's lost 20 lbs. and I've lost 8-1/2 - don't know how many stones that would be. Love chatting with you and it's good to be able to get on BS easily.

Hugs, Dorothy:flwrysmile:
 
@patient 99
Hello Cuteness :wave:
I am sure you are doing everything possible for your Knee :friends:Probably a bit of O.D.I.C :sad:
Rest up, you'll feel better :) I fear President Obama is not having the vacation he was hoping for.
Between the Iraq War & the riots in Missouri ( shooting of an unarmed Black youth, by a white police
Officer) he has had news conferences Multiple times a day.
What is common between the President & Celery ?:shrug:
Answer.... They both give you Gas......:rotfl: :rofsign::loll::rotfl::rofsign:
Off to work,
Talk Soon
Diana:loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
They both give you Gas....

Hip, hip hurray. I just knew you were up to the challenge. It was just too too easy for you setting up the joke and delivering the punch line. You know what the PTs say you have to keep upping the anti. Now where do I take this??????????? Will need time to consider. Get plenty rest, eat the green stuff and watch this space<chuckle>.
 
Thought I would stop by to see how things are in the promised land, and to read some jokes too!
 
There is no greater pain, even a knee replacement, than major depression.

Hi Dorothy, Sounds about right to me. It is the hopelessness of the condition. I have read many BS messages where, if you read between the lines, its clear they are in a black place. My heart goes out to them. Not everybody has a caring family, not everybody can be away from work for as long as it takes. Some are in pain for weeks/months. Some are struggling financially and with health insurance. Then there are those like me who worry - doesn't matter that its foolish, you can't control it. Then there is the boredom of recovery, the sleeplessness and the thinking life as we knew it is over. It surprises me that more TKR people don't end up seriously depressed.

From the news it seems Robin Williams had his demons for a long time. Perhaps being diagnosed with parkinson's disease was the last straw. Comedians seem particularly susceptible to depression - Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, Tony Hancock, Peter Cook............... the tears of a clown.

Sounds as if you are enjoying life with the grandkids etc. You've been through a lot. So you make the best of every opportunity. 8.5lbs weight loss is a lot. When I last saw a photo of you on BS I wouldn't have thought you needed to lose weight. Be careful. Don't overdo it.

The next major mile stone for me is to get rid of the elastic support/PT tape. I try to leave it off indoors, but after a while I find its too uncomfortable and on it goes. Still I guess in the scheme of things its no big deal. Best wishes. Carol
 
Thought I would stop by
Always welcome Chris. I haven't really much to report re my knee. Every day seems much like the one before. Its moderately OK - I'll just keep working at it. Next thing I'd like to do is lose the elastic sleeve/pt tape. That would be a big mile stone. Of course the only way to do it is to increase the time I don't wear it. But I haven't actually set myself a daily target. Me thinks I should give that a go starting tomorrow.

I've read several of your posts on various threads. Some sound like you are doing OK others not so good. I guess its how you are at any one time. The one that caught my attention was where you said that you had gone to the revision surgery ill prepared, and as a result your leg was misaligned. Did I read this correctly? Surely its the job of the surgeon to get the full background notes??? Perhaps I got it wrong. Carol
 
The one that caught my attention was where you said that you had gone to the revision surgery ill prepared, and as a result your leg was misaligned. Did I read this correctly? Surely its the job of the surgeon to get the full background notes???
That is it in a nutshell, they canceled my pre op appointments, and did pre op the day of surgery. Not a good idea, angry at myself for doing this. I think my outcome would have been different out of the pressure cooker of pre op.
Working on this with my counsellor, so I can move forward.
I agree is it the job of the surgeon to get it right ahead of time, and he did have all of this in his notes.
Nothing I can do to change this except move forward, and rehab this knee as best I can.
Posts depend on how I am feeling at any one time, cannot handle being in the dumps all the time, there are times when I feel better, thank goodness.
The ups and downs allows me to slowly process everything that has happened, all at once would be overwhelming.

Take your time weaning off the knee sleeve, there may be some days you will need it, and others when you don't.
 
angry at myself for doing this.

Oh I know exactly how you feel. They used my neck as the donor sight for my head skin cancer. I was so angry at myself for allowing this. But I must have been so wound up in the op room that I didn't question it. We are at our most vulnerable at times like these.


Posts depend on how I am feeling at any one time,

And how are you feeling right now?
 
Feeling OK today, thanks for asking, the more my knee hurts the worse I feel. Pain levels of 2-3 are good, anything over a 5 sends me over the line. My knee has settled down somewhat. Last week both the PT and my massage therapist were able to release a tight area on my foot that was pulling it the wrong way, and I am can finally get my whole foot on the ground.
They used my neck as the donor sight for my head skin cancer.
When my Mom had her skin cancer removed from her temple area, they took the graft from the opposite thigh. It has healed very well. You can hardly see it, even when she wears shorts.

We are at our most vulnerable at times like these.
Are we ever, we just want to get it over with.
 
@patient 99
Good Morning All,
I haven't been on in a while, please forgive me:beg:I had a Doctors appointment on
Wednesday, seems I picked up a bug in his office. Sore throat, sinus headache, cough :tantrum:
& I paid for it $ 20.00 :rotfl:
Dear Carol, Is your knee any better after your Vacation ? I hope you are feeling better:friends:
@Pumpkln Please visit "PROMISED LAND" whenever you can, you are always Welcome:)@turtle68
Great job on the weight loss :happydance:Well Ladies it's a shower & off to work....
Enjoy your Sunday :SUNsmile: You thought I would forget..didn't you ?
VEGETABLE JOKE of the Day :spin::happydance::yay::egypdance::yahoo:
What is the Strongest Vegetable ??????
Answer.... a Muscle Sprout ( Brussel sprout):rotfl::rofsign::loll::rotfl::rofsign:
I crack myself up :rotfl:
Queen Diana :bow: :martini:
 
seems I picked up a bug in his office

Hi Diana, its all those vegetables you surround yourself with. The bugs think you're lunch.

Nothing much occurring. Mike's watching a cowboy film. I'm bored and I've got the hump. I've responded to three BS posts - gave each my best. No reply. No like/agree/funny tick. Not a dicky bird. Think I'll go into the garden and pick a fight with a squirrel - hey squirrel get off that tree its mine. Don't ignore me or I'll climb that oak and eat your nuts ...........something like that.

Have a nice day D. xx C
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom