Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Entering and exiting a tub?

Sounds like you are in very good hands @steverup ! Just a bump in the recovery road. You'll be back on track very soon.
 
Day two and (6 weeks post op). I think I’m understanding PTSD in a whole new light! Every time I close my eyes I see that moment when I looked down after the fall and I see the gaping wound... I can’t seem to get it out of my head! It’s like a reoccurring nightmare! If this is what our dear soldiers go through, I have a new appreciation for them. I think being in the brace is helping to keep the wound together but extremely uncomfortable. Fortunately it didn’t bleed through last night like it did the night before and not having to stare at a bloody bandage first thing waking up is a little better to deal with mentally. I’m having very sharp stabbing pains as if someone was stabbing a knife directly down into my knee from the top. This is the worst part (today) and last night. Sleeping or not it sits me straight up screaming! I’m getting more pain meds today as extra strength Tylenol is just not cutting it! If I don’t move the stabbing pains might be anywhere from 5 minutes to and hour apart. I’m sure looking forward to seeing my surgeon in the morning (in real life). God I pray I’ve not damaged it too badly. Thank you all again for your prayers, thoughts, comments and suggestions!
 
Best wishes for the appointment with your surgeon, Steve. I hope he is able to reassure you that you haven't done any serious damage - those knee replacement parts are really strong - and that he will be able to .close up your incision real soon.

Yes, you will need stronger pain medication for a while, but hopefully you'll soon be back on the road to recovery again.
 
What time is your appointment tomorrow? Please let us know what happens.
 
Jeez Steve I'm just seeing this. You were doing fabulous! I'm so sorry this happened. Your an incredibly tough guy with a positive attitude, you will work through this and get right back on track!
Please let us know how you make out with your surgeon tomorrow.
I am thinking of you! ❤
 
Doctor says it looks good!! He seems to think the joint is ok. It will take longer to heal this time because the internal stitches broke. Have to stay off it for another 3 days and stay in the brace. Monday start bending just a little each day to try and not to lose too much motion but not enough to bust the outer stitches either. It’s kind of a fine line. I’ll see him again next week and see how it’s healing. Pray for no infection and that I don’t lose too much motion. It will be 6 weeks before I can start really working out the joint again. Thank you all, he sure made me feel a lot better!!
 
Great update @steverup ! Wow, you must have really whacked that knee to break internal stitches as well.

Please don't be in a hurry to get the knee moving again. It's important to get this all healed nicely.

Please keep us updated!
 
Good news for the implant, but another difficult recovery. I hope you are able to get your pain under control quickly.
 
We’ve had members who were in an immobilizing brace for weeks and their bend came along just fine when it came off, so don’t worry about that. Healing is the most important thing right now. Gentle is the name of the game with this new injury.
 
We’ve had members who were in an immobilizing brace for weeks and their bend came along just fine when it came off, so don’t worry about that. Healing is the most important thing right now. Gentle is the name of the game with this new injury.
Yes, @Jockette my first knee two years ago, the tendon snapped 6 weeks after the TKR so I had a second surgery and was immobilized tor 6 weeks. It took a long time but with gentle slow work i have full ROM today, the only problem I have with it is that the knee cap doesn't track well and I get sharp pains now and then. But nothing I can’t live with! This one was only two days difference from the last. so I guess fate wants my knees to work alike?? lol I was able to get back on the OxyContin and am feeling Sooo much better today. thank you all for your prayers and sweet kind words. I love this place!
 
Great update @steverup ! Wow, you must have really whacked that knee to break internal stitches as well.

Please don't be in a hurry to get the knee moving again. It's important to get this all healed nicely.

Please keep us updated!
I think it was because of my weight. I’m 6’ almost 300lbs. Doc said he sees this mostly if someone was in a car accident after TKR. I’m going to be SO carful going forward. He said usually after the 6 week period it would hold. But of course we are all different. My biggest concern is not to get infection now!
 
Really great news Steve! Now listen big man...watch where your walking! Slow down!
Lousy to have a setback but you got so far so fast your bound to do it again. Slow & easy friend. Let it heal!
 
I have been in an immobilizer twice for 6 weeks each. My knees' bends came back fine. It wasn't right off the bat, but after a few weeks I was doing well.
 
Back
Top Bottom