Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Entering and exiting a tub?

17 surgeries??? Holy Cow my friend! You have had some serious challenges to say the least! I am thrilled that you are doing so well now, if anyone deserves it you certainly do!
I too have had arthritis issues for years. Also like you, it was about two years ago when it started really interfering w quality of life! I also have a similar game plan as you, 1st get the right knee, wait a few months then decide what should be done next. I'm thinking left knee because both of my knees sound like popcorn popping! But I 1st need to get that one solid joint before I can decide what is referred pain & what is "real" pain.
I was thinking about seeing a pain management Dr. Glad to hear you found a good one! There are not many around here surprisingly.
I'm not crazy about medication either but the pain WILL wear you down. I have 50mg Tramadol. I never take anything but over the counter stuff so I have low resistance to anything stronger. I cut the pill in half & take 25mg. Believe it or not, that's enough to take the edge off for a few hours. That's all I need. Just a little break!
I love your fathers saying. It's one I will keep in my head. I've been pretty down lately and I'm normally someone who is always very upbeat and positive.
Too bad I was not able to keep my original surgery date 3/4. Would have really been fun talking rehab together. That was your date correct?
 
Yes it was.. just over 3 weeks. That’s great you can get relief with that small amount of med..that’s truly a blessing! I’m hoping this whole mess will clear up soon so we all can get back to life. Stay in touch!
 
Hello friends.
we’ll all was going great until yesterday I fell and landed directly on my new knee. The wound busted wide open from end to end. I was able to close it and wrap a piece of sheet and a belt to hold it closed until the paramedics arrived. ER really didn’t know what to do but try and clean it out. They called my surgeon for instructions. They put a few stitches and wrapped it tight and put me in a immobilizer. I will see the surgeon hopefully today. I’m so disappointed and discouraged at this point I can’t see forward. I feel so lost. I assume this happens and wonder if anyone can tell me how it turned out for them?
 
Oh no, I am so sorry to read about your huge set back. You did the right thing by getting to the hospital as soon as possible. I will be praying for you and for your quick recovery.

You have been such an inspiration to so many on here. Please know that we are all concerned about you and will be anxiously waiting to read your updates.
 
@steverup I hope you can push to see your surgeon today - even if it just to ease your mind. Please keep us updated.
 
I'm sorry to read this happened to you. :console2:
Do let us know how you get on.
 
thank you all so much.. you are like another family to me. Here’s an update we sent out to ‘other’ family this morning.. I did get to see PA with my surgeon on the phone.. ill see him Friday morning.

Ambulance and ER was a nightmare. I feel a little better this morning just seeing my surgeons assistant instead of the ER personal. Surgeon was texting pictures and instructions back and forth with the PA while she cleaned it up and bandaged it correctly. They want me on antibiotics for three days and I’ll see the surgeon first thing Friday morning for the next step. For now just stay off it and kept it in the cast. Pray for Caren that she can continue to put up with me! She’s really the one going through it! Pray that I don’t get the virus from visiting the ambulance, ER, hospital or surgeon’s office in the last 12 hours. Pray that I don’t stay discouraged and can practice what I preach by trusting in Him and not being depressed. Thank you all we love you!
Steve & Caren
 
Question, what did you fall on, what did your knee come in n contact with?
 
Steve, I can only imagine how you must feel with all this on your shoulders in the midst of a pandemic. You were very quick to do the right thing with the sheet and belt to stop bleeding and protect the open incision.

Emergency Room personnel can be somewhat unprepared to deal with something like this, so I'm not surprised you got the reaction you did from them. It was good that they called your surgeon and that means you had his involvement immediately....a very good thing.

Things are so different now with the virus and you are in a "hot spot" so it's probably a good thing that you weren't admitted to the hospital or had any extended time there. I suspect that was your surgeon's desire to keep you as safe as possible from contracting COVID-19. The fact that you were able to see the PA fairly quickly and get their "eyes on" your wound is huge. Please know there are many layers of stitched tissue and it is likely that you only broke open the outer later. You might want to read about how incisions are closed in our Wound Care section (tab at the top of the page). While it's still a serious situation, your incision is not open completely although it must feel like that's the case.

When your surgeon sees you on Friday, he'll have a plan of action and things will get back on track for you. Please let us know what he says. And try not to worry. The antibiotics are excellent for a precaution and you should be all right. This may slow your healing a bit, but as long as there was no damage to your implant (it's strong and there shouldn't be), you should be just fine going forward. However....please know you'll be sore from the fall, so expect that. Take something for any pain you're having so you can relax as much as possible until Friday.

We'll be here if you have questions or concerns.
 
Thank yo
Steve, I can only imagine how you must feel with all this on your shoulders in the midst of a pandemic. You were very quick to do the right thing with the sheet and belt to stop bleeding and protect the open incision.

Emergency Room personnel can be somewhat unprepared to deal with something like this, so I'm not surprised you got the reaction you did from them. It was good that they called your surgeon and that means you had his involvement immediately....a very good thing.

Things are so different now with the virus and you are in a "hot spot" so it's probably a good thing that you weren't admitted to the hospital or had any extended time there. I suspect that was your surgeon's desire to keep you as safe as possible from contracting COVID-19. The fact that you were able to see the PA fairly quickly and get their "eyes on" your wound is huge. Please know there are many layers of stitched tissue and it is likely that you only broke open the outer later. You might want to read about how incisions are closed in our Wound Care section (tab at the top of the page). While it's still a serious situation, your incision is not open completely although it must feel like that's the case.

When your surgeon sees you on Friday, he'll have a plan of action and things will get back on track for you. Please let us know what he says. And try not to worry. The antibiotics are excellent for a precaution and you should be all right. This may slow your healing a bit, but as long as there was no damage to your implant (it's strong and there shouldn't be), you should be just fine going forward. However....please know you'll be sore from the fall, so expect that. Take something for any pain you're having so you can relax as much as possible until Friday.

We'll be here if you have questions or concerns.
Tthank you! When ER doc was cleaning we could see the stitches sticking out on both sides (torn in the middle) way down deep. He thought it was foreign objects embedded into the sides of the wound. I just fell on a carpeted floor and immediately sat up and saw what happened and clasped it together. Nothing had time to get in there. That’s when I told him that I recalled my surgeon telling me that he stitched the inside and glued the top layer. So I think it was pretty messed up. That’s why the ER doctor wouldn’t do anything until he talked to the surgeon. fortunately he knew my surgeon and was able to get him on the phone. I have a picture but it’s too gruesome to post here. I feel like I’m starting all over and just trying not to get depressed and discourage. I’ll keep y’all updated.. and thank you again!
 
Steve, perhaps you could email me your photo. I think it would be helpful for the staff to see it. This isn't something that happens very often, but it would be helpful to see what can happen with a fall. My email address is jamie@bonesmart.org.
 
Thanks for the images, Steve. Hope you're doing okay.
 
Sad to see you had this set back but try to be positive you did so well last time, so after you see your surgeon tomorrow you can put this behind you and start again, you can do it - Stay safe and healthy xx
 
Back
Top Bottom