Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Entering and exiting a tub?

Wow, you really did fall hard to break the internal stitches loose. But it sounds like your surgeon is on top of things and I'm happy for that. You're on the good side of all this trauma now. Let the healing begin! Hang in there....we'll be here for you.
 
Greetings Steve: I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I've been away from the blog for some time - a bit down in coping with the C-19 as it has occurred here in SE Michigan/ Detroit area. I fall so easy and can relate - I nearly feel using the toilet second day at home.

The TKR hardware's pretty hearty - please be encouraged. We remain here for you even when some of us are away a while. I'm hoping for your recovery is swift and complete - as Jamie said you're on the good side of things now... ))hugs(( to you and your wife.
 
Steve,
Happy to hear you saw your surgeon and were re assured your implant is fine. That must have been some fall to open up your incision.
Sending you healing thoughts as your knee heals on its new schedule.
 
I went to the doc Friday and had the stitches out.. the knee is feeling so good and looking great. He said I could lose the brace and just be carful bending slowly. Sunday it started bleeding again and my lower leg, ankle, foot started swelling up.. I got it up and iced last night and the swelling came down a bit but the ace was blood soaked again this morning. Called the doc and texted them photos this morning as it’s opened again about an inch in the center. They had me re-wrap it and put the brace back on. They have me coming back in first thing tomorrow. I suspect they will stitch it back up. I’m so over this! The bright side is the knee feels great. I’m sure if I can ever get it to closeup it will be great! @Jamie I’ll send another picture.
 
Got the updated photo, Steve. It looks good even with the drainage. It sounds like it's just going to be a bit slow to completely close. That happens sometimes, especially with such a deep wound. There is a lot of healing that must take place. If you haven't read our section on wound healing, I suggest you do so you can understand what your body is busy doing. Click on the Wound Care tab at the top of the page. Hang in there! I know it seems like this is all taking forever, but one day it will all be just a really interesting story to tell. You'll make it!!
 
What a time you've had! I hope you can get this closed, so you can heal. You need a break from all of this.
 
Wonderful to hear that your knee feels good. Maybe you did a bit more bending they you realized and the stress pulled it apart a little bit. You will need to give it more time, it seems. We'll be here with you!
 
Hola Steve: So happy to hear you knee is feeling good despite the slight opening. I know this delay has been a drag. Perhaps start some new reading or movie series to help pass the time. We're here for you.
And you stay off those roller-skates this time or time-out for you! :happydance:
 
Thanks all for the encouragement..
Visited with the doc again, this is really gross! I have to soak a bandage in some kind of iodine (will pickup at pharmacy today) and let it lay and soak into the wound. Then I have to take a little sterile stick and poke a medicated bandage into it twice a day! I don't know how I'm going to be able to do this? It has to heal from the bottom up or an air bubble will form and it will get infected. I had to watch them do it today so I could start doing it. Then I go back again next week. this will happen twice a day for a week and he’ll look at it again. Ugg!
 
That does sound a bit gross and it's a big ask for you to have to do that, but it is a proven way of healing a deep wound, Steve. It should work well, if you can manage it, although it will take some time.
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

By the way, I like your new avatar.
 
Good morning sore kneed friends! I’m sorry I dropped off the site for a bit but thought it would be a good time to give an update. The hole (not the one in my head) had started filling up with pus so (with advice from @Jamie) I called my surgeon and got right in to see a wound infection specialist. They found a tunnel going up my leg horizontal about 4 1/2 inches. Fortunately its not going down towards the new joint. They took a culture to test for infections. I’m continuing to pack the wound and now tucking into the tunnel too. I’m the kind of guy that can’t watch someone getting a shot and here I am tucking gauze into a gaping hole in my leg! Go figure! They say 2-4 months for it to close (really bummed me out) but that’s life. I'm so ready to go swimming and bike riding with this beautiful weather we’re having in Seattle area. The good side of all this is my new knee feels great (besides the burning and stinging from the hole). I tend to get depressed and down lately as I sure was hoping for a quick event free recovery this time. If you've followed my journey, you’ll remember my first knee replacement 2 1/2 yeas ago at 8 weeks the kneecap dislocated and it’s been until just lately I was able to get this second one done. Got in right before the COVID shutdown. But all in all God is good and I’m so thankful for all of you and especially the moderators and staff here for all the clear advice. I’ll try to keep up better with my postings. Stay healthy!
 
I tend to get depressed and down lately as I sure was hoping for a quick event free recovery this time. If you‘ve followed my journey, you’ll remember my first knee replacement 2 1/2 yeas ago at 8 weeks the kneecap dislocated and it’s been until just lately I was able to get this second one done. Got in right before the COVID shutdown. But all in all God is good

Prayers for peace of mind and perfect healing.:prayer:

Love your avatar! One of the cutest I’ve seen here.
Wishing you comfort and a relaxing weekend. :)
 
You know, it's a blessing that you fell and split your knee. That tunnel could have been there for years before it was discovered and things could have been much worse. God is in control. Lean on Him and on us, too!
 
@steverup So sorry you are dealing with all this. But well done for dealing with the wound on a regular basis. A challenge for many of us!

Hang in there - an end is near. Stay safe!
 
Steverup - so glad your knee feels OK anyways & I’m glad that tunnel was caught so it can be treated! Praying that all goes well for you from here on
 
You are amazingly strong in dealing with this challenge. That great attitude and your sense of humor will help make time go a bit faster and the process easier. It's pretty normal to feel some "why me???" thoughts when something like this happens. They key when you feel yourself thinking this type of thing is to immediately derail your brain by doing something else. Get outside and enjoy the great weather in whatever ways you can. Sitting outside is good. Take a short walk if you're able. Or maybe a drive to get a sinful ice cream treat (drive-through, of course). You'll find what works for you.

This will pass and you'll be fine. I'm thrilled to hear that your knee feels pretty good most of the time. That's a wonderful sign that says you're going to be doing those things you are looking forward to. Patience is the most difficult part of any joint replacement recovery. You're just getting a little extra lesson in that. I appreciate that you're documenting your story, though. It's important for others to learn from your experiences.
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom