Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Entering and exiting a tub?

@steverup, it sounds like you are off to a fantastic start. Reading about how it's going with you is making it less scary. Thank you for that. I was wondering if you can give me any advice on what I can do before my surgery to make recovery better. I'm scheduled for April 3.
 
Good morning @Nelly, I’ll share everything I can think of to make it better for you. Getting pre-prepared is the best idea ever! I’ve listed a few of these in other threads but I’ll list everything I can think of here again... I went to pre-hap this time (originally thought it was stupid but glad I did) as I started doing all the leg exercises in advance. The stronger your muscles are the faster you will recover. Be sure to check with your doctor before anything that may contradict what you’ve been told. This is just what I do/did.

1. Get a roll of green painters tape and tape a caution lines across your floor at door jams. (Over the trip protruding transition strip). This helps remind you when you’re stumbling around on your walker on pain meds in the middle of the night. Do it the day before surgery so you don’t get used to them. Remove throw rugs or anything in your path. YOU DON’T WANT TO FALL!
2. Get an ice machine (well worth the $150) and a $6.00 For a 24 hr electric timer to plug it into.. I do 2 hrs on and 30 minutes off to let the knee get back to room temp ALL NIGHT in bed and for several hours during the day. ice is the best!
3. Put up night lights everywhere you may need to go at night.. create a runway light path to the potty because you will have fuzzy brains especially at night finding it.
4. Journal... I got an app called day one that I like to recap the day and it sure comes in handy when you talk to you doc. You can post pictures, record yourself etc... Funny how all the meds make stuff (you’re certain you’ll never forget) go away, poof. I’m also able to look day-by-day at my previous TKR to help remember and know what to expect.
5. i know we’ve all heard it... rest elevate ice. rest elevate ice. rest elevate ice. Then start over!
6. Get a hooped stretchy thingy (pic) below. (Yoga strap) It’s great to help reposition your leg in bed or in the recliner. Also great to gently pull up every now and then to help get it straight. It will help with your exercises at home too.
7. I got another app called ‘soultime’ and have found it to be very relaxing. Soft sounds, story’s, readings, maybe it’s the oxy but it sure helps me relax!
8. my daughter-in-law introduced me to oil defuser. Fills the room with a nice smell of whatever oil you want to drop into it.. I love the citrus.
9. Pillows pillows pillows all kinds of shapes and size. I prop myself and my leg into positions that don’t hurt and pad it with pillows. Boy do I have a collections.
10. Shoulder bag. Something small that you can keep with you at all times. My phone, ace, remote, cough drops, you need your hands for the walker so if God forbid you fall you want that phone attached to you.
11. stay ahead of the pain especially the first week I take the full amount of pain meds every 4 hours even set alarm at night. I’ve found that it’s much easier to get through the initial recovery while being medicated. fortunately my wonderful wife of 40 yrs manages all the meds (thank god) and so much more! btw I took maylox two days prior to surgery and for 4 days after because pain meds make you constipated.
12. first week you don’t get around much so setup nesting areas. I have my bedroom and my recliner for change of scenery.

I’m on day 9 today and have happily ditched the walker yesterday for two canes. That sure felt like improvement. Get ready for some depression and the blues. It will come and go. Just try to get through it using whatever works for you. I crank up the oil diffuser and listen to music or books on tape. Anything to redirect yourself.

I’ll add a few pictures of some of the items I’m commenting about at the end.

stay in touch and reach out if you need anything! I’m here and a lot of others too. We’ll stick together and get through this!

Blessings,
Steve
 
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Just wondering how others are thinking about continuing PT with all the warnings for catching the virus?

I had some concerns at my PT location. I never once saw any of the staff wipe down the equipment. Sometimes I would be sharing the parallel bars with another patient. I was glad when my doctor agreed that I could stop PT. I felt like I could do a better job at home, and I didn't want to unnecessarily expose myself to germs.
 
Sometimes I would be sharing the parallel bars with another patient. I was glad when my doctor agreed that I could stop PT. I felt like I could do a better job at home
Yep. Me too. I’ve had double pneumonia twice and I’m over 60.. I’ve not discussed it with my doctor as I feel this is 100% my call. I told my PT that yesterday was my last visit and she was super nice and agreed. She gave me a printout if all the future exercises as I progress. So I’m doing it myself at home too.
 
@steverup thank you for the advice. I have ordered a wedge pillow, bathtub seat, and toilet seat riser. Kaiser said they would give me the ice machine and walker. I'm also going to download the journal app. I think that would really help. With everything that is going on I'm wondering if I'm even going to have the surgery.
 
You’re welcome! I know! I’m in Washington state and had I not had mine when we did they wouldn’t do it now. No elective surgeries. We are on lockdown here so it kinda worked out perfect for me. Well let’s keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully everything will progress as expected and you’ll be on the other side rolling on in recovery!
 
Thanks @Nelly, I’m actually doing great! Getting around better than I recall from last time. Haven’t been logging much as I ween off of the pain meds I can comprehend more and have started reading and watching some tv (instead of just Staring).. I went to the store yesterday with my wife and walked a few isles with two canes.. I was pretty wiped out in the evenin but it was sure nice to see outside!
Is your surgery still on? Feeling positive?
 
That's so good to hear. Your words keep making this procedure less scary. As far as I know it's still on. I received. A text message yesterday confirming my Pre-op appointment for Tuesday. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
 
I’ll be 2 weeks post-op wed and I’m doing great! I started walking (just around the house) without the walker or canes.. feels great.. we went to my sons for dinner last night and it was so nice to get out! I was really tired when we got home but not extra sore so anything like that.
Does anyone know of an easy way to measure your ROM without that tool?
 
Yeah I'd like to know how to do that to Stever! I'm no longer in PT and while I am certain you can get that tool (eBay or Amazon) I don't think it is a do-it-yourself read.
 
Stever love your collection of goodies. You really now how to be prepared! Can you please tell me the brand of your oil/ infuser? I have one but it shuts off every half hour or so even when filled. I want one that works UNTIL the water is gone.

Also, yes I am happy my PT is over with this COVID going around -- I NEVER saw them wipe down, EVER. At least at the gym I was going to you could wipe down your own with the spray and paper towels provided. I feel for the PTs who have to work there. I'd would bring my own stuff to wipe down if I worked in the field. Especially now.
 
@steverup I got the call this morning that my pre-op was cancelled and all appointments for the next two weeks. They will call me about my surgery. I figure if I can't do the pre-op, I can't have the surgery.
 
@steverup I got the call this morning that my pre-op was cancelled and all appointments for the next two weeks. They will call me about my surgery. I figure if I can't do the pre-op, I can't have the surgery.
Oh dang! I’m sorry! I suspected that.. it’s probably best though because you certainly don’t want to try and rehab with that virus. I’m pretty sure this will all pass and you’ll be back on schedule soon..
 
Stever love your collection of goodies. You really now how to be prepared! Can you please tell me the brand of your oil/ infuser? I have one but it shuts off every half hour or so even when filled. I want one that works UNTIL the water is gone.
I got a fancy one on amazon that holds a lot of water and connects via WiFi (Alex).. I named it “smelly machine” so everyone (including myself) gets a chuckle when I tell Alexa to turn on the smelly machine!

ASAKUKI Smart Wi-Fi Essential Oil Diffuser, App Control Compatible with Alexa

[Bonesmart.org] Entering and exiting a tub?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Btw; I took off my bandage today (it’s SO FREEING) and the scar looks amazing compared to my one last time around. I did a side by side photo from an old picture but won’t post it here Incase others are weak stomach. I think there is a thread for pics so folks know what they are getting into. I love that my leg is straight again too! I can walk around without the cane now but I get tired very fast.. now I think it’s just a matter of stamina. Looking forward to getting outside for a stroll in the park!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom