TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Six weeks? I have been alcohol free since New Year (apart from those cheeky slurps). I suppose a glass of wine wouldn't matter as I am only on paracetamol - but figure I am so tired all the time it would make me totally comatose.

Could you imagine - drunk in charge of crutches? It's hard enough to walk a straight line at the best of times.

Hope your PT goes well today and many jealous congrats on sleeping through. One day ........
 
@Ellejay I am over the moon for you. Thank goodness for that. There is nothing like a goodnights sleep to aid recovery especially before PT !! Good luck with that. Catch you later xxxxx
 
Lyn -
Josephine has a good Article in The Library called: "Post-Op Blues" that is really good. It lists many reasons why depression is so common after TKRs. Just having major surgery is one of the reasons - withdrawal to the heavy-duty drugs used in the hospital, is another reason. Etc. Sorry about breaking it down and making it so scientific, but that does help me break out of it. Plus I remind myself that I "can't afford the luxury of a negative thought" (actually the name of a good book).

well, having forced myself to go out earlier today, of course I really enjoyed my outing. I was feeling very sorry for myself, just wanted to be left alone, but thinking about it I was being really selfish. I have been incredibly lucky, I've had so many good friends want to visit, and to take me out, and there's me saying (luckily, to myself) "leave me alone"! I think we have bad days, when we just have to force ourselves to be more positive about life, and then we realise it was worth making the effort for, but I must admit it would be very easy not to make that effort and slide into depression. Mind you, when you are in pain, or ill, you are excused from making any effort at all.....

When I don't feel good, I just want to be left alone. I tend to withdraw into myself, which is okay for a time. But too much of it (depression) can be counterproductive. The social side of this website is very good in reminding us that we are not alone in this.

You are just about 3 weeks ahead of me Annie, how are you doing now? I share your personal goal, I too just want to ride my bike again, but at the moment I still can't do a full circuit on a static bike, just the pedal exerciser as long as I am laying right back!

I am feeling better and better every day. I have reached the point (which comes at different times for each of us) where I am so glad that I had my tkr. If I could just get rid of this stupid flu bug, I will really be soaring high. I still cant do a full rotation either, yet, on my stationary, but I am dreamin... It will come. I have been here before: having to learn how to walk again. I keep dreaming and telling myself that I can do this.

One of my favorite things to do is to load up our bikes on our truck and go bike riding with our kids at the nearby Cuyahoga Valley National Park (google it) - it is just so beautiful there. For me, bicycling is freedom - and I love it. (Not mentioning that it is easier on the old knees.) That has been my main motivation. So although I cant do a full rotation at the moment, I have plans. =)

I know it's only a little thing in the grand scheme of things, but, ........I slept through the night!!!!!!! I feel amazing, A WHOLE NIGHTS SLEEP, the first since the operation. My knee feels a bit sore as I didn't take any painkillers in the night, and it is very stiff as it hasn't moved all night, but I can live with that. The pile of pillows, ready to raise my knee when I wake has been undisturbed, the cool bag with lots of ice packs is unopened, and I feel ready to face anything. Hopefully that includes the PT session I have later today.

I completely understand your joy in getting a good night's sleep. That really make a big difference in one's ability in tackling the next day.

I have been watching The Olympics and our amazing athletes.

What is your avatar a picture of? It is beautiful.

Have a great day,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dogwheels, :) I loved the very thought of being drunk in charge of crutches, it really made me smile. What a difference a day makes, this time yesterday I certainly didn't feel like smiling.
@NuNe4Me, I will look up the article on depression, it sounds interesting. We also take our bikes out into the countryside, I hate cycling in towns, but country parks, disused railway paths and canal paths are all wonderful places to be. We plan to take them in the caravan to France in the spring, there is so much more space over there than in our tiny overcrowded island.
My avatar is probably my favourite place I have ever been to in the world - it is the tea plantations in the Nilgiri Hills in Southern India. We went last November, totally peaceful and absolutely beautiful.
Have a good day everyone, I'll report back later on today's PT session.
 
Hi Lynn ... How fantastic you were able to have a good night's sleep. And you know, I have the feeling that the emotional time you had beforehand may have helped in that respect. Emotions are so draining I think. Whatever was responsible you sound so much brighter for that sleep. :sleep: You will get back on your bike again Lynn and get to enjoy some beautiful pedal trips around the countryside - I am sure of that. If you can go around on the pedal exerciser (even if lying back) you will work up to full rotations on a static bike. Won't that be a day to celebrate?:cheers:

Take Care Lynn .. and enjoy the rest of your week ... Hugs .. Ellen
 
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Discussion in 'Post Surgery Information' started by Josephine, Aug 14, 2010.

  1. [Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
    Josephine Forum Administrator and Mother Hen Administrator
Post op blues is feeling depressed, weepy, nervy, shaky, fearful of the future, anxious, overwhelmed by what is happening to you, convinced it's never going to get any better and finally, uttering that most intense of all cries "I wish I never had this done!"

It arises out of a variety of things that have happened and are still happening to you including

~ the shock of learning you need major surgery and getting acclimatised to it
~ the anxiety in the lead up to pre-op and then the surgery itself
~ physical shock of the 'assault' of surgery (think of what it's like to be mugged!!)
~ intense attention in hospital, people all around you, able to call on anyone at a moment's notice, strong support structure
~ the pain, swelling and everything else that comes with it
~ loss of privacy and independence
~ medications which actually cause a lot of chemical, emotional and physiological changes in your body
~ on discharge from hospital, loss of the supportive infrastructure upon which you had subtly become dependent
~ the loss of your normal way of life, inability to fend for yourself, shop, clean, prepare meals, etc., etc.
~ loss of confidence in normal daily activities like walking around your own home, even going to the bathroom or taking a shower
~ feeling confined, even trapped because you can't go out or even get around the house as freely as you used to~ loss of interaction with your usual sphere of society
~ anxiety about how long all this will last

So if you find yourself suddenly bursting into tears for no real reason, feeling frustrated by the inactivity, having 'cabin-fever' or feeling like the sword of Damocles is hanging over your head - it's just part of the process and like everything else, it will pass. You have my word on it!
 
I did it! I a managed to use the static bike at the group PT session for the very first time. Admittedly the seat was set fairly high, but I've tried before and not managed at any height. This was the last session, I'm only given four sessions, but I came away with such a smile on my face. The PTs were very pleased with all my measurements and progress, of course, being too tough on myself I wasn't so happy - an extension of 0 (which is fine) but a ROM of 95, I was hoping for more, but they said I'd improved by 10 degrees in the four weeks, so they were pleased. I was just so pleased to make that first move towards getting back on my bike.
 
Well done @Ellejay I got my old man to get my mini exercise bike from the cobwebs - managed a few minutes on no tension which is a start !!! I'm walking about the house gingerly without aids but will take stick if I go out ! TC xxx
 
Hello to all of you wonderful people! I just started reading from this site a few days ago after my LTKR on February 13th and have been spending my sleepless nights reading various posts and came across this thread and I already feel like I know you all. Hope you don't mind if I join in! Heard there are a few grandmas out there and that is my favorite title in the world. My journey to this point has been long and now here I am on the other side! Blown ACL 19 years ago with a reconstruction 16 yrs with total removal of meniscus. After a life of running after 5 kids and all of their activities and then also caring for my mother for several years before she passed and then my father in my home for the last 9 of his life....it was time to finally take care of me! No complaints in all of those life choices but after dad passed on Oct of 2012 my knee had a steady decline....I actually have this feeling that my dad somehow knew of my upcoming challenges and unconsciously decided it was time to "go home" so to speak! Anyway.....I have a strong desire to really PLAY with my 2 grandsons, 4 & 1 and dance at my sons wedding in August. So here I am with my leg in the air wrapped in ice determined to have a good outcome with this. Looking forward to chatting with you all over these next few weeks. 10 inches of snow for tomorrow again. Snuggling on this couch sounds kind of nice!
 
Hi @Nana Mo, welcome, it's great that you've joined us on here. We do witter on at times, but it really does help, I know that I wouldn't have got to this point without all my good friends on here, there is always someone who understands, can offer advice, sympathy or just post something that makes us smile.
Isn't being a grandma just the best thing ever? I have one grandson, he was two just before Christmas and I am still totally besotted. I will do anything for him- including climb the stairs when he asked for me to change his nappy not long after my TKR, I wasn't using stairs for anything else!
You are very early in your recovery, you will have good days and bad days in the next few weeks, remember to rest, elevate and ice as much as possible. And keep coming back to this forum, there will always be someone here for you whenever you need us. It is truly a wonderful place to be.
Lyn xx
 
Hi @Nana Mo - 10 inches of snow!!! My goodness, how I would love to watch that coming down instead of the rain, rain and more rain we have been having here in UK.
Cant chat for long as I didn't get an afternoon nap today and am falling asleep as I type. Having to stay awake so I can make my evening call to my old Mum, before taking my last lot of tablets for the night.
Its nice to talk to a LTKR as most of those I chat to are 'Righties'. This forum is great - whether you want to just chat, let off steam, have a whinge or get some info - and the beauty of sleep-deprived Knee people is that there is always someone on line that will chat.
So glad @Ellejay that you did so well at PT and had cycling success - you must be really chuffed.
My daughter brought round the last remaining ratty 'Gilbert' this evening and we had a lovely cuddle. She has nominated him as my 'therapy rat'. Poor old boy cant use one of his back legs properly now ....... I know just how he feels!
Well night night to all - wishing us all good sleep and great days tomorrow.
Talk again soon
X
 
No, lightening doesn't strike twice and my good nights sleep the previous night was a one off, last night was definitely not good!
I have a fairly busy dat today, I'm going out with my husband and another couple for coffee this morning and then this afternoon a young ex colleague is visiting with her toddler and new baby - sounds quite tiring. I'll check in later if I'm awake enough. Hope everyone has a good day. Xx
 
Welcome nana mo , I'm nana sandra aka lol - it's a great site for chatting and moaning !! Were all in the same boat we all have pain good days and bloody awful days but we all support each other !! If you need to chat as were from all over the world there's always some one online xx
 
Hi @Ellejay I'm sorry you had a rubbish nights sleep I hope you get chance to rest after your busy day. Not so good day for me with pain today but hey oh that's the way it go! Lol xxxxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, I'm really sorry you are in pain today, I hope you are feeling better this evening. I've had a busy but tiring day, just having a quiet evening resting, icing and elevating now. Xx
 
Wow, this really is a yo yo adventure isn't it. Yesterday started out good and then went quickly downhill and the night was horrible. Went to therapy today and was crying when I got there. My PT laughed and said she usually has to touch someone first to get that reaction! She was wonderful and spent the first 15 min just massaging my knee/leg which felt wonderful and really calmed me down. I think I got a winner! I am one week post op today and my ROM is already 88. Everyone seemed pleased. Then I spent the next 3 hours fighting with my insurance co to get my prescriptions approved. They actually wanted my doctor to call them to tell them why he thought I needed what I was on. I think the got a very graffic description....fingers crossed as my hubby is of to the pharmacy to pick up my refills. Guess we just need to wait and see the yo yo rolls up or if it is down!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Nana Mo, I'm sorry you had such a bad night, I'm afraid that's the way it goes for a while. It sounds as if you have a good PT there, hang on to her, from reading some other posts some of them sound positively brutal. It's almost midnight here, so I'm going to try to get some sleep, I hope you have a good day xx
 
Hi Lynn ... how wonderful that you managed rotations on the static bike. It would have meant a great deal to you. Don't be despondent about your ROM - your extension is great and really you are not quite 6 weeks yet are you? So the ROM of 95 is faaaaantastic and you improved in 4 weeks. Another 4 weeks (maybe less now that you are on your way) and you will be over 100. I am so happy for you. I was going to use all these wonderful emoticons in your message today, but they won't come up. Must be having a day off. :-)
Sorry you did not follow up with another good night's sleep, but I think they will start to happen more frequently. I am with you and Nana Mo - my grandson (3 in March) is the light of my life. And if I had to, I would even climb stairs for him too!!!!!!
Take Care Lynn ... be kind to yourself .. and accept what is for the moment (I'm getting a bit sickening with my new mantra, aren't I?)
Hugs ... Ellen
 
Back
Top Bottom