TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Ellejay - many congrats on your 6 week check-up - must be a huge relief to be told that you are doing so well. Must also be good for your husband to know that all his care and attention has paid off. Shame about the other knee, but as you say, they will now monitor it and take whatever action is necessary.
Physio was very 'mechanical' today - but I was told that I am doing well and making good progress each week, which is high praise from the iron lady. I came home, had lunch and then slept for 3 hours! This evening I have basted the first block of my patchwork and will test my appliqueing skills tomorrow.
Hope you get a good night.
X
 
Ooh @dogwheels, well done on making a start, I can't wait to see a picture. Lucky you to have pretty feet again, I'm not sure I could get my daughter to do that for me. You deserve to be pampered.
I was so pleased with everything yesterday, but once again obviously overdid it, I think the combination of the woodland walk on Saturday, I was standing a lot on Sunday at a social gathering in the village after a special church service, and then a bike session yesterday followed by a fairly lengthy walk to and from a friend was all too much - I was in such pain last night! thank goodness I had x rays yesterday at my 6 week check, otherwise I would have been seriously worried I had damaged my new knee. I've been virtually pain free for the last week I've only needed paracetamol first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but last night even the Tramadol didn't help. I will be resting ALL day today.
I'm going to have a cortisone injection into my left knee on Thursday, and so I have to rest for two days, so hopefully I'll be back on course for the weekend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@NetballKnees,
Oh Ellen, you don't whinge at all, my problems are nothing compared to yours! I so admire you for coping with everything as you do, and as you say your only option is a TKR, I can at least try the injection/ arthroscopy which might help for a while.
How is your back now? Have you managed to do much packing? I do hope you've got help with your forthcoming move.
Lots of hugs xxx Lyn
 
Well, I did rest, elevate and ice virtually all day yesterday,my knee is still sore and swollen, but I've lost the horrid pain that was shooting down my shin. I didn't do any exercise, so it doesn't want to bend this morning- I think I've gone backwards by two weeks!!! I will have another day of rest today, and then tomorrow I'm having the cortisone injection into the other knee, so I have to rest that one for two days. I think I'll start living again next week.
I've been thinking about this forthcoming arthroscopy on my LEFT knee and my memory has completely failed me about the previous two I had. I need help on this, maybe even @Josephine could help to jog my memory?
The OS has said he will do it on May 10th, I said I was off to France for eight weeks soon after that, was that OK?& he said it would be fine, I could do my own PT there, but when I got home I wondered if would I need stitches removed / a follow up visit? Does anyone remember? I want to book our crossing tickets soon. I suppose I might have to phone his secretary to ask.
 
Hi @Ellejay - sorry your knee is protesting and being a bit of a pain. Treat it nicely, take things easy and it will respond and behave again. Honestly, these knees are like petulant children!

I reckon you will be fine with your arthroscopy and holiday. I had my meniscus done and flew back to UAE 5 days later. I had an exercise sheet and hoped to find a physio, but wasn't sure if that would be possible. I did the exercises myself for a couple of weeks and then found a physio whom I had 2 sessions with. No stitches, just steri strips and no follow up visit. For the second one, I was back in UK. Had a couple of physio sessions but knew what to expect and got on with it myself - again, no stitches or follow up visit. A lot of the exercises will be similar to those post TKR - and you should be an expert on those by now!

Hope you have a nice restful day with your knitting. Did lots of sewing yesterday and am bug-eyed today!
 
Thanks @dogwheels, that was a quick reply, I was on your thread whilst you were on mine . I was admiring Gilbert, very handsome.
Thanks for the arthroscopy info, I think I should be OK to go, and the sunshine in the south of France will be really good for recovery.
 
Yes - I really wouldn't worry. Not painful as such, just a bit stiff for a short while, and the sunshine will do it good. I did a few very basic exercises in the pool - nothing clever, just walking and a bit of bending - that may help if you get the opportunity. I only took Co-dydramol a couple of times for the first few days and for the flight - my knee wasn't painful, and as codeine is not allowed into UAE without a whole host of paperwork, I didn't bother and made do with OTC meds. Just make sure that you have your pain killer of choice with you to be on the safe side, and enjoy your lovely holiday. Something really nice to look forward to!
 
Reading @Foxmyster1967's post about his lovely bubble baths has really got me thinking about a bath. Getting in and out might be a bit difficult but I'm willing to try it, it sounds a great idea. I'm off to try it now, if you don't hear from me for a while you know I'm stuck in the bath:heehee:.
 
Just take it easy good leg in bath first, then bring the poor one up and over. When you get in just keep your incision out of water and relax eeeemmmmm it's heaven I'm on it every day now.x
 
Rather you than me - I HATE baths, bubbly or otherwise. Good luck Lyn - don't get stuck and enjoy!
 
Hey Lyn ... Did you get in the bath, and more importantly - did you get out??????

I hope your knee has started to settle down again. I'm starting to get inspired listening to you and dogwheels talk about your knitting and sewing. I don't have a crafty bone in my body, but I can knit and crochet, so maybe that's what I should try. It's just so darn hot here that having wool anywhere around me is not an interesting thought. Might be a good idea for when the next knee is done (who said that???:what:).

The sunshine in France will be a real tonic for you and you will feel so good with the sun on you. What a lovely thing to look forward to after your arthroscopy.

Take Care Lyn and I will be hoping you knee soon settles for you.

Hugs ... Ellen
 
It's OK, I'm out of the bath! It was FANTASTIC, I loved it. I'd stayed in bed all morning, iced and elevated,then sat in the bath and both knees loved their morning, so much so that I've managed to have a short time on my bike, with a slightly lowered saddle. When I woke up, very stiff and sore I didn't think I'd be able to do that. Mind you I did have a slightly scary moment when I thought I couldn't get out of the bath, I thought is have to call my husband for help, but I'm heavier than him,and he has a bad back,so I didn't want to do that. Luckily we keep a small plastic stool in the bathroom, so I lifted that into the bath, sat on it and then I could stand up. I don't want to go down the route of handles all over the bathroom, not yet anyway.
 
YES!!!! Bath time will get Easy now you have had your first? It's a great feeling just laying there in red hot water and up to your eyes in bubbles.... Well done Ellejay it sounds mad congratulating some one for having a bath but ha ho it's just one more obstacle out the way and something to look forward to I'm glad you did it. Foxy.
Dogwheels how can you hate baths??? Just laying there relaxing ?.. XxX:angel:.
 
:sad: I'm quite certain that I would get stuck in a bath. Boo. I think one would feel wonderful but as there's no way that my dogs would be of any help should I not be able to get back up, I think I'm going to have to hold off on trying it for a bit longer. Good for you Ellejay & Foxy for being able to manuever them so early on! Guess I'm just a big chicken. :whistle:
 
Oh @DogLoverx3, get yourself a small plastic stool that will fit in your bath to help you get out - it's really worth it. I just loved the relaxation and the warmth, and being six weeks plus now, I didn't feel I had to keep my scar out of the water, so I could truly relax. It seems the latest home 'improvement' amongst my age group is to replace your bath with a walk in shower, but I love my bath and would hate to lose it.
Hope you are keeping well xx
 
@Ellejay Just to say hope all goes well tomorrow make sure you rest after, I have had 3 athroscopies and was fine after, the last one I was dancing at my son,s wedding, got rid of the teds today a day early but oh how great it feels
 
Hi @yiayia3, thanks for your good wishes, but it's only the guided cortisone injection tomorrow, the arthroscopy will probably be in May, although I am wondering if I can put it off until after my summer trip to France, if the injection is successful.
 
Back from the hospital (2nd visit of the week). Had a massive amount of liquid drained from my left knee and then cortisone injections into the back and front. I had a Bakers cyst which is why I couldn't bend it very well, and lots of fluid in the front compartments as well. I'll just have to rest it for two days and then wait to see if the procedure has been successful, then maybe I will be able to walk with out any pain at long last. In the meantime I'm back in the recliner resting BOTH knees, this is getting boring. Things should improve tomorrow though, as we have guests for the weekend, luckily the kind that will just muck in and help out. We will have take aways in the evenings, they will be out during the day so we've only for to provide them with B&B. I must be improving as just last week I wasn't looking forward to weekend guests at all (& was quite pleased when they cried off), but now I'm really pleased that they are coming.
 
Hi Lyn - hope that your injection was OK today and not too painful. Also hope that your operated leg isn't acting up like a big spoilt kid, thinking that it has lost all the attention!
I really hope that the injection will give you some relief and buy you a bit more pain free time. I have to admit to the opinion that meniscus repair/trim is the first step on the slippery slope to TKR, particularly if the surgeon is a bit scissor happy. Hopefully this shot will give you the relief that you need and a pain free plateau for a good long time until further treatment is needed.
X
 
OUCH! Poor old you. I see that we are doing telepathic posting again!
Hopefully you will gain a lot of relief now the fluid has been drained and the shots start to take effect.
Enjoy your weekend and start planning for your trip to France.
Talk later
X
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom