Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi @Josephine, I have just done my peak flows they are now up to 350. I will check first thing before i take any inhalers to check the real reading. I will let you know how I get on with my GP tomorrow with my pain meds. I cannot suffer another night of excessive vivid nightmares that paralyse me. The only way I wake up is my husband hearing me making a certain funny noise I apparently make and he nudges me. It's totally terrifying x x x x x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I hope that you've had a good day. Mines been reasonable. Plenty of phone calls. Two extremely delighted daughter who joined Slimming World last week, weighed in this week, one lost two pounds the other six!!! I had a low moment and cried earlier no specific reason but I'm ok again now. My knee is stiff and swollen so I'm in bed with ice ice baby.....xoxoxox
 
Hi @Josephine, just to put your mind at rest. I know that if my peak flows drop to 250 to go to A & E.. As it has gone up a bit tonight that is a good sign. I love that you care thank you xxxx
 
Hi,
Hope I can jump in for some conversation. I just read through your entire thread and I see so.many similarities to my own situation. Yesterday was 3 weeks from surgery and I am not sleeping at all. Dragged into pt yesterday and thankfully they are wonderful and only put the zapping machine on me because they are concerned about the amount of swelling and pain.
I'm faithful with my meds and ice but am going to try elevating more as I haven't been doing that much because it hurt.
My ROM is about 95 and if the darn thing wasn't so stiff I think things would be so much better lol.
Being only 43 seems to make people think I should be able to do this like snapping my fingers. Every time I turn around its a new person questioning why I have a new knee at my age. Gets annoying. ...hmmm cuz i thought I'd spend my winter unemployed relaxing???
Sorry to be venting away but like I said this whole thread really spoke to me.
The jokes also made me giggle. So I'll leave you with one:
What did the ocean say to the beach?

Nothing it just waved.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Love the joke. And I totally agree with you about the age thing. I'm 53 and people look at me like why did I need a new knee at my age! It drives me crazy x my rom is around 95 but like you say because do stiffness and swelling etc it could be more. I am beginning to think the younger you are the harder the recovery but this May nit necessarily be the case. It's just that while I was in hospital for 9 days people twenty years older than myself came in and three days later left walking in crutches brilliantly!!! I watched this a couple of times over the days and it was soooooo frustrating.

I have to say the PT group I'm in are great and no big headed over achievers in there thank goodness. I have it again this Friday and I am looking forward to it because everyone was so nice x x please feel free to join in the chat anytime you want. It is a godsend this site honestly. I don't think I could have got through this the way I have with out like you say venting it!

Do you ever feel like saying to people when they make the comment ooh a new knee at your age? Say no I got bored with the old one!!!! Sorry but it does get to you sooooo much. Lovely to chat with you @glazed151 stay in touch it's what we are here for !!!!!!
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - so sorry, meant to thank you for the compression stocking link. I got very excited at all the lovely colours ...... but being the cheapskate that I am, when I went to hydrotherapy I was told that I could get some FREE from the ward, so I don't need to go beg .. However, the ones on the website were SO nice, I may just have to have a couple of pairs to liven things up in the next 5 weeks (groan). I was so jealous when I went to Hydro that a lady who had her TKR the same day as me, had beautiful buttercup yellow crutches. CRUTCH ENVY! Mine look so boring alongside them. I am contemplating getting the glue gun out and doing a bit of bling accessorising on my grotty grey things.
So sorry to hear that you have been poorly with your breathing - yesterdays Hydro left me pooped. It started with them all oohing and aahing at the awful black bruising at the back of my leg, then a huge debate on the best way to get my swelling down (I think I will have to hang like a bat for a few days!), then a session of the evil hydro that feels so good but half kills you. I particularly enjoyed a ballet-like leg swinging exercise, and told them all I was the next Darcey Bussell! But afterwards I had aches in parts of my leg I really didn't think would be affected and felt like someone had put my leg through a mangle. I have another session tomorrow :groan:
'Yellow crutches' is much older than me. Her elegant scar has had barely any bruising since the op, and no swelling - consequently she can bend her knee with ease. Grrrrrr.... However, I reluctantly accept that we are all different and this isn't a competition.(I say this through gritted teeth). As my bend is the pits, hers is great - but she has real problems with the 'lifting' and straightening. As we all know, yours truly is only popping paracetamol but she is concerned that she is still taking much stronger meds. The PT said the fact that 'yellow crutches' could bend with ease before the op and I had next to no bend beforehand is a contributing factor.

Well Nana, hope today is a bit better for you. I would leave you a joke ....... but I cant think of any that would be deemed suitable for this forum :heehee:

Take care
ChrisX
 
Hi @Josephine and @ DogLoverx3 and any one else who likes reading this post ( you are most welcome!). Okay where to start... Right I went to see my GP is morning about My asthma. my peak flow was down to 300 again. He gave me steroids ( prednisolone). We then discussed the fact that I want to come off the morphine but he has insisted I remain on it on a slightly reduced dose but flexible according to need!!! Nd to keep taking paracetamol four times a day. He wants to see me in two weeks time and I have to say he was back to his usual nice self again!!! He discussed about codeine based pain killers but said that he would be happier if I would remain on morphine for a while longer.

Then my big mistake, I asked my husband to take me to the local shopping centre. I was on my feet for near on an hour and the pain in my knee was screaming at me. I'm home now doingthe mantra and praying at the same time for the pain killers to work pleeeeeaaaassssseee x xx. Xx

@DogLoverx3 I hope that you are ok? Not heard from you Ina while. I know it's still early over there and I hope to goodness you got some sleep my friend xoxoxoxoxoxox
 
Hi @dogwheels, I'm glad that link was useful. I'm resting now after overdoing it. I got physio tomorrow and isn't want them moaning at me. So here I am lying down elevated icing and doing the Bonesmart mantra like a good girly!!! My bend was rubbish Pre op and I think that is why I am struggling with extension and flex ion although it's not too bad it could be better x x x x our time will come and will do the same and more we will honestly. G only have to read some of these posts and now different people are after like 6-8 weeks. I'm just waiting here with bated breath for that time to come. You made me laugh about the stick envy that was hilarious!!!! Especially what y called it because with our Birmingham accent it has a different meaning! I have insisted that my crutches are called sticks because I got a bit fed up of the it'll be nice when you can go crutch less jokes!!!!!!!!
 
Hahaha @Nana moon 27 - I get your drift entirely about the ............ sticks! Its fine here because my London/Surrey accent makes the distinction quite clear. Bit worrying though, as your comment reminded me of a dream last night that I had gone out 'commando' ..... ooops!
You're right - our time will come when it is ready, but it doesn't make waiting any easier does it?
I have had a lazy morning catching up on lots of paperwork in my pseudo bat position - legs in air. I had to make quite a few calls and I was grateful there was no video phone as no one would take me seriously in my vile white stockings, laying with my legs propped up in the air, furiously doing ankle pumps!
Yesterday's hydro left me with a really tender spot on the front outside of my calf - never hurt there before. I've checked its not hot or anything, and it isn't, just really sore. Yet another muscle kicking in no doubt.
Well having had a productive but very lazy morning, I am now going to do the 'ceremony of the changing of the TEDs' and have a bit of a wander and do some more exercises aaaarrrghhh.... Was going to summon the strength to wash my hair, but as I have horrid hydro again tomorrow I will stick with the 'Eau de Chlorine' that is faintly lingering and spray something nice over it until I have had tomorrows session.
Hope you get a good and restful day.
Take care XX
 
That as so funny. Yes that is the beauty of your accent you don't get the awful jokes associated with the sticks we have. I'm glad you've had a productive morning and doing what you should be doing. Our nhs up here is so over stretched all we have is normal physio, no hydro unless we go private. I think hydro is a fantastic way if exercising but I know where you are coming from with the eau de chlorine!!!! Xoxoxo
 
Hi all Nanna Moon sorry to hear your not so well I was on pred for 2 years for polymylagia not a nice drug but works well.I have also been out today went in a few shops but now having to rest with the ice oh dear!! Dogwheels love the sound of the yellow crutches maybe paint some sparkly nail varnish on the grey ones a nice look,my calf hurt a bit the other day think your right about the muscle and and working with physio have a good day speak soon Terri
 
Hello Terri. Lovely to hear from you. Polymyalgia is an awful thing to have. I know someone who has it. I thought the whole stick thing with dog wheels was hilarious. I don't know if you read my cheeky post to her but it is true. I think these sticks should be in a range of colours. My mom decorated mine with tinsel at Christmas it looked much better x x x x x
 
Does anyone else's bones still hurt on their operated leg still? My shin bone does and my ankle not awful but is tender x x
 
@Josephine, this is for you. I don't know why but since I took my prednisolone this afternoon as the day has gone on my head has felt a bit fuzzy and and my eyes hurt a bit.. It feels like a headache trying to start. I feel pretty yukky. I'm going to try And sleep now for a little bit. I've took prednisolone before but I've not had this! Maybe it's the concoction I'm taking!!!!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 and all this is confession time. I M not feeling well. I'm tearful, my chest is bad and I think I can thank my grown up kids for bringing a virus or something into the house. I feel awful. I've tried everything to raise my spirits but it's not working I've tried putting on cheesy videos and music even that has not worked. I played up on the limericks on the games site here and still no good. The doc has prescribed steroids on top if the morphine and every thing else I have to take. I am going off for a bit, have a darn good cry, pull self together and be back later. If I'm not don't panic it just means I've gone into withdrawal mode. Catch you later x x x x
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom