TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Good morning - and this morning I mean it. The sun is shining outside, I didn't sleep all night, but had three lots of two hours, so feel fairly bright. I'm up earlier than ever since my operation, hair washed and dressed, so progress is being made. I've just had a session on my upright exercise bike... And I can do it! It's set on very high at the moment but it's a start, I just want to get back to my 'real' bike. I've done lots of home PT so I'm just doing my usual ' legs up the wall' recovery position in preparation for a pub lunch with some ex colleagues. I have retired but it's lovely that they still want to get together occasionally.
Thank you for your encouragement @NetballKnees, it is so lovely of you to be so kind to me when you are coping with so much yourself. I can only imagine how much packing you are doing ready for your move, please don't overdo things, look after your knee and yourself, lots of hugs xxx
@Nana moon 27, good luck with your PT today, remember not to be competitive this time, just do what you can and enjoy it.
Chat later xx
 
Just got back from a four hour lunch with ex colleagues. We only had a sandwich and a coffee, but so much chat and laughter, it was the best medicine ever. Hopefully I will have a nap now.
 
Well, I didn't get a nap during the afternoon, but maybe it was for the best as I had another really good nights sleep. It is just such a different feeling waking up after a good nights sleep, I feel ready to face anything.
Six weeks today, amazing! The time has really dragged and yet now I'm wondering where six weeks have gone.
It looks like a beautiful day outside, it's probably chilly but it is so lovely to see a blue sky. My daughter is off riding all morning, I declined the offer to join her, maybe one day. Hopefully we'll go out somewhere to enjoy the weather. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend xx
 
@Ellejay don't be a wimp get on that horse ha ha,it is indeed a lovely morning I slept quite well, we went for a curry last night and I had some wine no meds.I have asked about taking nytol have taken it a few times in the past and it did help me sleep.Hope you do something nice today make the most of the sun,had my hair done yesterday it was great to get it done but a long time sitting so need to pace myself a bit today.Everyone out there have a great day Terri
 
Hi Lyn ... what a lovely lunch you must have had and how great you got another good night's sleep. The way you are going you will be heading out with your daughter in no time at all, though it will probably seem ages to you. It is great that you can ride the exercise bike. As you get a bit stronger in the knee, is there an option to raise the saddle on your real bike for a while to at least get a start on riding outside?

I am pleased it is such a lovely day where you are and you sounded as sunny as the day.

Take Care ... Ellen
 
Hi @Ellejay glad you slept. You're doing soooo well. You sound so relaxed and happy. You'll be joining your daughter before you know where you are!!!!

@yiayia3 I'm glad you got your hair done. I hope my hairdresser gets her car fixed so she can do mine xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27, @NetballKnees, @yiayia3
Hi all of you, I feel so blessed, opening up and finding you've all taken the time to leave me a message, I just thank my lucky stars I found this site, I really don't know what I would have done without it. I can only suppose that in a few months this will all be behind us, we will all be going our separate ways again, and we won't be in contact (unless we all have our second knees done together), but for now I really appreciate these chats.
My husband and I decided to go for a walk, somewhere we hadn't been before. It was so warm and sunny and it felt wonderful to be out in the fresh air. The paths were very muddy and it was a bit tricky in places, especially when those same inconsiderate dog owners that spoil things for you Anne let their dogs bound up to me, I was frightened of being knocked over. But, the good news...my operated knee behaved perfectly, no pain at all for the whole walk, unfortunately the same can't be said for my left knee. I'm fairly sure I have a torn (shredded?) meniscus, hopefully there will be time at my six week check on Monday to discuss this. We came home and one of us fell asleep - and it wasn't me! I'm trying to stay awake so I get a good nights sleep again. I did need to ice and elevate, but I was so thrilled to walk without pain in that knee, the first time in years.
Terri, I bet you felt good after having your hair done, it's always a nice treat.
Ellen, I do so hope that your back feels better, you have so much to do, if you were next door I'd pop over and help, but you are just too far away for that, please take care and don't do too much.
I hope that everyone is having a good weekend. Lyn xx
 
Hi all - just a quickie. You all seem to have been very busy and done lots of great things. Not me - as per usual, yesterday's Hydro left me totally wiped, swollen and achy. So yet again I have had a lazy day, eaten bacon sandwiches and watched back to back 6 nations rugby .... love it!
Not satisfied with that, I have just had a major online retail therapy session - and boy do I feel good. Credit card has taken a hit though - whoops!
My fabric arrived this morning, and so I am going to start cutting this evening, ready to do the design I have been waiting 16 years to do. Ta da!
Hoping to go walkies tomorrow and have a good day, ready for Physio on Monday that will put me back to swollen achiness again. One step forward ..... 2 steps back!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and talk soon
X
 
Hello @Ellejay and @dogwheels I hope that you are ok. it was lovely to read your posts. I'm glad you managed to get out Ellejay I always feel so much better when I've walked. I didn't get a walk today we ended up at the shops through necessity. My appointment with my consultant on Monday is 9.20 what time is yours?

Dogwheels, I'm glad your fabric has come but you haven't said what your making!!! Like you I shall attempt a walk in the morning but depends on the weather obviously.

Terri I hope you've had a good day too x x x x x x
 
Hi @dogwheels, retail therapy sounds a good distraction to knee pain, so I don't blame you at all. I'm glad your fabric has arrived, that will give you something else to take your mind off your knee. Did you watch 'Sewing Bee'? The contestants are so clever. I sit here most evenings doing my patchwork, or, just recently, I've started knitting, only triangles for some bunting for a charity event, that's about my level.
I keep thinking I'm going to get to the pool one day, but reading about how you are after a session I'm not so sure anymore.:) I hope your aches & swelling are better tomorrow. Lyn x
 
Lesson to be learnt - just because it's a nice day, and your knee feels good, don't overdo it- it's still only 6 weeks!
Very painful knee during the night, so I paid for my lovely walk yesterday. There is a special church service we have to attend this morning, but after that it's rest and elevate all day for me.
 
You are so right. I am paying for not elevating yesterday. Had a really painful night feel rotten this morning. So an easy day is on the agenda today. My second eldest grandson is coming over this afternoon so that will be nice. I think you are very wise to do what you are going to do today. You will feel better spiritually, you will get exercise and then rest when you get in. Sounds like a plan to me! Catch you later xxxx
 
It seems we are all in the same boat,reading my list I know I over did it ,my husband has been great but thought I could cope with lots of things but today he can see the result! He is the best chief and I have wonderful dinners just like Master Chief anyway now back to doing very little love to all Terri
 
Hi everyone - looks like we are all in the ODIC! Lazy Sundays recuperating for us all.
Late getting to sleep as it was painful behind my knee and top of my calf ........ the bit the wretched Cryocuff doesn't reach. Think I will be resorting to Captain Birds Eye at the back of my knee today. Still, dropped off eventually and had 2 decent chunks of zzzz's, until I woke frantically scratching my scar. Ooops - thankfully no damage done ....... I blame the TEDs! I was very black and swollen behind my knee so am thinking that as this reduces I am losing the 'cushioning' of swelling. Therefore I am working it more and hence its a bit more uncomfortable? Does this logic make sense?
Goodness it will be 4 weeks for me on Tuesday and I still have more bruising emerging - now all over my ankle. Even the physio mentioned the delicious yellow and purple patches that remain on my leg. I heal super quick, in fact sometimes too quick - but bruising, that's a different matter.
NM27 - my needlework project is to make some quilt blocks in Hawaiian patchwork. You cut something like a paper doiley pattern from one colour, applique it to another colour and then hand quilt concentric lines around and on the pattern. Not a very good explanation I am afraid. I was enchanted with these quilts when I went to Hawaii and its only taken me 16 years to start the pattern! My excuse is it is all hand sewn - and latterly, I have only done machine quilting. However, this project is perfect for while I am sitting, elevating and icing! I have promised to post in the Sewing section on here when I have completed the first one.
Take it easy everyone -
Talk soon
X
 
I had my six week check this afternoon, x rayed first, all ok. It's a very small private hospital, so I always see the same consultant, he actually did my second arthroscopy in 2012, so I feel very comfortable with him, he is lovely. He is very happy with my right knee, I'm "ahead of the game" in his words, and I'm now free to do whatever I like, within reason. Unfortunately it wasn't a farewell to him though as my left knee is really playing up. I am having a (guided under ultrasound) cortisone injection on Thursday of this week, he has put me down for a menisectomy for May, unless the injection manages to calm everything down and I feel I can put it off until later in the year.
All in all a very good result for the right knee, it's a shame the left one has deteriorated so quickly, but at least I know it is being monitored and is 'in the system'. Hopefully I will be walking pain free before too long - the first time in many years.
 
I had my six week check this afternoon, x rayed first, all ok. It's a very small private hospital, so I always see the same consultant, he actually did my second arthroscopy in 2012, so I feel very comfortable with him, he is lovely. He is very happy with my right knee, I'm "ahead of the game" in his words, and I'm now free to do whatever I like, within reason. Unfortunately it wasn't a farewell to him though as my left knee is really playing up. I am having a (guided under ultrasound) cortisone injection on Thursday of this week, he has put me down for a menisectomy for May, unless the injection manages to calm everything down and I feel I can put it off until later in the year.
All in all a very good result for the right knee, it's a shame the left one has deteriorated so quickly, but at least I know it is being monitored and is 'in the system'. Hopefully I will be walking pain free before too long - the first time in many years.[/quote]
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, I'm glad your 6 week check went well, we sound very similar with the problems with our 'other' knees, we'll obviously be chatting on here for some time to come .
I had quite a long walk this morning, I went to a friends house to help her to learn to use her computer, and then refused her offer of a drive home, and walked home...big mistake! I elevated and iced until it was time for my hospital appointment, but both knees just got stiffer and stiffer, and after a very quick trip round a supermarket to get five items I'd forgotten on last weeks online order I was actually in pain. This hasn't happened to me so far, I've obviously been too good, (or just too lazy?I got home and took some painkillers and am now resting, icing & elevating for the rest of the evening.
@dogwheels, bad luck with all that bruising, that seems a long time after the operation for it still to be coming out. Have you started cutting your gorgeous fabric yet? I was doing so well with my patchwork, and then a plea went out around the village for knitters for making bunting for the church festival in the summer, so I now find myself knitting triangles in fluorescent green and yellow! Oh well, I will get my quilt finished one day.
Take care everyone, let's hope we can all sleep tonight.
 
Hi Lyn ... what a great result on your TKR. You have obviously been doing exactly what is required.

Not so good with the left leg though. I hope the cortisone injection really helps. And you need to have another op in May. :sad: Hopefully you will bounce back very quickly from that. I have the same problems with my non-surgical leg, but for me there is only one option - TKR. I hope the pain from your big walk is lessening with icing and elevating (and medicating).

I feel so ashamed to be whinging so much in my thread when you are having such problems with your non-surgical knee.

Let us know how your guided cortisone injection goes. I really hope it provides you with some relief and that you can, indeed, walk pain free for the first time in many years.

Take Care ... Hugs ... Ellen
 
Back
Top Bottom