TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Good news! Glad you are being well cared for. The ankle pump things dove me nuts but they are doing a job keeping the circulation going well. Take care .
Hope you get some sleep tonight

Mary x
 
Fantastic! I think the air compression gizmos keep the swelling down so not elevating right now might not be too bad. Glad you are off to a good start.
 
I spoke to soon, luckily I asked for my pain meds in advance - I had to wait nearly an hour for them, much longer and I would have been climbing the walls. They have given me morphine and the pain has gone completely- bliss.
I have a catheter so I don't need to get up, although the physio said this morning to get them to remove it once I got to my room, I'm cheating a bit and haven't asked. The staff don't seem very keen to do so anyway.
I'm managing to elevate by using my quilt - they gave me another to cover me, and the ice is freely available, so I'm managing quite well.
I'm going to try to get some sleep, I hope everyone has a peaceful and pain free night / day xxx
 
Yaay @Ellejay, welcome to the other side. What fantastic news that your ok. Well done and congratulations Lyn, no midnight raves tonight please:heehee: Just kidding xxx sending you a big hug Lyn ((((((big hug))))) xxx

Take care with love
From Ann xox
 
Hi Lyn @Ellejay - well done you! I have been thinking of you all day today. I am so pleased that the 'carpentry' bit is over and the getting better can now start in earnest.
Hope that by the time you read this you will have had a reasonable night's sleep and they will have kept your pain under control.
Don't blame you with the catheter, I was horrified and disgusted about it beforehand, but oh so very grateful for it afterwards! Don't think the nursing staff were so pleased though, as I drink an awful lot of water. Heh heh!

Just concentrate now on you. Keep comfortable and get better. Talk soon.

Much love
XXX
 
Hi @Ellejay, hope you are doing well and getting your medication as you need it which is on time. A welcome to you to the other side.

[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second


[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Thanks again for all your messages, it really means so much to me.
I can't believe that I had such a pain free night on day zero. I had so many tablets to take last night, but they worked. The trouble is though I still didn't get much sleep- I hate sleeping on my back, my room is right by the nurses station (noisy) and the constant pssst of the air compression whatevers on both legs seemed really noisy. I don't remember them being a problem last time, but every 30 seconds a loud psst made me jump.
I walk with the physio today and tackle the stairs, and the OS is coming in, even on a Sunday. I need to ask him if he replaced the patella this time.
Have a good day everyone, thanks again for your support. Xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay

I'm so proud of you. I love your positive can do attitude. It's inspirational xxx good luck today. Wow, they're doing the stairs a bit early aren't they. Mind you if you can do it the sooner you get out x x

Well done Lyn, you do yourself and all around you proud. You're a strong and lovely person xxx

Sending you a (((((((((big hug))))))))

All my live Ann xx
 
You re up very early Ann. Thanks for your message, I'm sure the blues will set in at some point and it will be good to read all the supportive and friendly posts again.
 
We will all be here for you my lovely. No problem at all xx by the what did you have GA or spinal xxx

I'm lying awake wanting a bacon sandwich. I'm in too much pain with hip and non TKR.

Have a good day Lyn. I will keep popping into your thread to see how you are doing xxx

Love Ann x
 
Hi again Lyn, @Ellejay

I expect you already know most of this, but I'm going to give you the BoneSmart mantras and post-op reading list again, as a refresher. They'll be here for reference, if you need them.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Well done Lyn a true inspiration for a wimp like me,those compression socks are a pain but it's not for long,
I'm up very early boys are here for a sleepover and woke us with a Christmas toy dog singing carols!
Hope you have a peaceful painful day.x
 
@Ellejay hospitals are not the place to sleep. I spent 12 weeks in hospital before my first son was born and they woke me up most nights to give me a pill to make me sleep! Still you are cracking on with the physio so you'll escape soon. The compression sound give a psst that after a while drives you slightly potty at night but I found them better in the daytime.most disconcerting for visitors though!
You do sound cheery. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I'd made myself lovely and comfortable, I'd scrounged a second quilt and had that under my whole leg, and a pillow to go under foot and shin, I was fine, but a care worker has just helped me to wash and insisted on taking my quilt away, saying I mustn't have anything at all under my calf. I tried telling her that my notes said I had to elevate my leg, but she wouldn't have it, so now I'm lying here with a straight leg, elevated to about 15 degrees by the bed being raised at the foot end.....and it hurts now!. Hopefully when the PT arrives he will be on my side, and I can get my quilt back. I want to go home!!!
 
Oh @Ellejay what a stupid woman. The HCA should know better than that. Keep your eyes peeked for a nurse and tell her what's happened. Don't sit there in silence please get what you need. It's your right as a patient. You've only accepted this because you're not recovered from the anaesthetic xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Good morning Lyn @Ellejay - really pleased that you got a decent night, in spite of the hissing compression booties. So glad I was spared those. After all you have been up to of late with Xmas preparations and worrying about your cold, I am not surprised you had a well earned zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Hope today goes well with the physio. I am sure everything will go just fine, but don't worry if aspects of your recovery are slower or different to #1 knee. You know the well-used Bonesmart saying: 'Every knee is different', and I am sure you will find that each has its own traits, personalities and foibles!!
Well snooze and rest as much as you can Lyn - ha ha that goes for hubby too, as he will be on duty once you are home. Hope this recovery goes as well as your first, and remember we are all cheering you on.

Don't worry too much about the elevation if the foot of your bed is raised. All I had was a trough thing a bit like a babys changing mat under my leg for the first night which they then took away, and no raised bed end at all. I think it may have something to do with extension, my OS was obsessed with it - he said get that right first and the flexion will come later. However if you want to elevate for pain reasons, then shout, loudly! Soon you will be home and can get your legs up the wall again!

Much love and take care

XXXXXX
 
Back
Top Bottom