TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Yes, flexion is the thing, I can bend to about 80, but no ones interested in that, they want me knee to be straight. I've done some exercises, I've had a walk, but I'm not tackling stairs until tomorrow, so no early discharge this time.
My emotions are all over the place, I've been crying my eyes out for no real reason, it's like the baby blues with no baby (thank goodness). They are really quiet, so I'm getting more than my fair share of attention, the trouble with that is the physio is coming back later for a another session.
 
Sorry about the noise - bet a good sleep would do wonders for your emotions...do you have noise cancelling headphones? Thanks for sharing the real time stuff though, helps to know what might come about! Hope you get your extra quilt back! Can your husband bring in a pillow from home?
 
Glad to hear you're doing well Lyn. Sorry about the quilt snatcher :-( Hopefully next shift you were able to reclaim it so you can elevate a bit. I'm sorry you've got the blues right now. They will pass, but they sure are cruddy while you have them. Keep your eye on the prize Lyn and know that all will get better! xoxoxo
 
Hi @Ellejay

I'm sending you a (((((big hug))))) and a clean hanky. I'm so sorry you got the blues x You can get hold of me even it's night. Xxxx

Love Ann xx
 
Thanks Ann, I was in a real mess this morning- has anyone else suffered post op blues? I did the same last time, but then I took it out on a rather rude physio - he deserved it! I'm feeling better now, as I've been sitting all day I have rested and iced, but the elevation is still an ongoing argument, as are the frequency of pain killers. I cant wait to get home so I'm in control.
 
Hi Lyn @Ellejay I am so sorry about the ridiculous situation. I wasn't allowed to elevate either while I was in hospital. It was the pits. No ice no nothing. Apparently the ice machines were scrapped due to cutbacks...what???? Yes seriously. I didn't elevate in hospital (a different one) when I had the revision done in September xxx I think this must be standard practice on the NHS x

With those blues oh yes, very like post natal, I think it's a body's reaction to the invasion and shock of this surgery. I remember me and doglover exchanging the blues. One minute we would be ok the next in tears. We seemed to almost take it in turns but we supported and helped each other. That's what this is all about xx

You will definitely be better once you're home and in control of everything.

The thing is this site and our own experience has made us very knowledgeable about good practice and bad xx

Anyway I'm thinking of you lovely Lyn and I'm sure you'll be home by day 3 (now that would be good) xxx

All my love and big hugs to you
Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Ellejay I didn't elevate in hospital and never told to do it at home,not an issue for me but I know it's great for swelling.Sorry you've got the blues as Nanamoon said your feel lots better when your home.Your doing great Lyn and your my inspiration to get my other knee done.Take care x
 
@Ellejay good morning! Hope you slept a bit better and you get to go home soon. But stay warm. Very chilly in Yorkshire today. Brrrrr!
Hope you have banished the Blues! Hospitals are such weird places when you feel ill, all the right equipment, pills, some lovely staff but you never feel quite right or normal in there. Better to get home where you have your own system instead of fitting into someone else's .
I'm experiencing weird ice issues at the mo. When I first came out of hospital my knee felt as if it was on fire and the ice was great. Now the knee is much cooler but when I use the ice ( a lot!) I have to wrap everything else up in blankets as I sit and shiver all the time. Last night I sat on the sofa with a hoody on, a fleece, two blankets and gel pack clamped to my knee and I still felt cold. My husband laughs at me but I hate being cold! I don't look great either!

Have a cosy day

Mary x
 
Good morning/ afternoon/night? My very good friends
I can't tell you how good it is to wake up and read your supportive messages, it's like having a roomful of visitors and friendly faces in this rather impersonal place. Don't get me wrong, the staff are all wonderful and friendly, but it's not the same as friends- which I count all of you as.
I had a really good nights sleep last night, even with the loud pssst every 30seconds and feel much brighter this morning. The OS didn't come in after all yesterday but the anaesthetist did and reported back to him. I will see the OS today, once I've had x rays. Another couple of physio sessions, and once they are happy I should be free to go home tomorrow.
My right leg is coping so well, it's just as supportive as the left one was when I had the first TKR, so for me,the timing has been perfect.
Have a good day everyone, xxx
 
Today has been soooo much better than yesterday, I have only taken paracetamol and Ibubrofen and can honestly say I haven't been in pain. I've had two physio sessions, managed the stairs, so I'm all set for home tomorrow. The consultant came to see me and said that the knee was in a terrible state, he needed to replace the knee cap, as he had on the first side. He had prepared the same size prosthesis as he used for my right knee, but was rather surprised to find that this joint was slightly larger, so had to get a different size, although apparently my knees are particularly small - it's good to know that something in my body is :heehee:. That means they are surrounded by a lot of fat :sad:.
Have a restful time everyone xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay

Oh how fantastic about your pain levels. I'm so pleased for you not looks like you are going to make a remarkable recovery again. I am so over the moon I could skip..(not such a good idea yet) xxxx

Oh I do so hope that you come home tomorrow so that you have control on your meds and ice, elevation etc

Prayers and crossed fingers
Love Ann x x x x
 
@TexasTee - the exercise is definitely worth all the time and effort, along with commenting on my small knees and how bad the arthritis in them was, the OS also commented on how strong and healthy all the soft tissues surrounding the knee were, which made his job easier and he thinks will make for a good recovery - fingers crossed.
@Nana moon 27 I experienced the morphine nightmares last night. Although I'd had relatively low pain levels during the day I gratefully accepted the morphine, thinking that I would sleep well again - no! Really horrid, realistic nightmares, I woke up screaming at one point.
I am hoping to get home today, it's not 7am yet, I've been woken for all my obs, my blood pressure is still quite low and I haven't 'been' since I've been in here, despite all the laxatives they have given me, and they are saying that I can't go home until I have 'been'. So I'm off to the bathroom folks....hopefully I will next be in touch from home......watch this space.......xxxxx Lyn
 
Oh @Ellejay

I'm sending you the biggest hugs to make you feel better. Those dreams are the most scariest ever. It's when you wake up and the things still there with you in your room and your real life. I'm grateful now I don't have that.

I do hope you get home Lyn. Then your healing can begin.

All my love
Ann xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom