TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @Nana moon 27
Thanks for the supportive message Ann, I do hope your left knee holds up long enough for you to return to work for a while. I don't understand your OS saying the injection wouldn't work, my knee is bone on bone (thanks to my OS taking what was left of the cartilage in August during the Arthroscopy) he says the whole knee is riddled with osteo arthritis, including the knee cap, but the cortisone injection is the only thing keeping me going I really don't know what I'd do without it. This last one hasn't been as effective as previous ones, I'm still having to use a stick, and I'm limping terribly but at least I'm getting around.
Have a good weekend, don't overdo things xxx
 
Hi @TexasTee,
You will be fine I'm sure, with all the exercise you do your muscles will be strong and recover quickly, and your age is on your side as well. In a few weeks we will be telling each other how far we've managed to walk, or what yoga or Pilates poses we have managed. At the very least we can chat on here with our legs up the wall :heehee:. By Easter these will be us.........
:swim::treadmill::upright:
Have a great weekend xxxxx
 
@Ellejay thank you for that information. I can now go to him in January and insist on trying injections first then. I wonder why he said not? Well all will be revealed in January, you see I don't really want an arthroscopy for the very reason you said. I have to buy some time to get back to work again even if only for a few months xx I really don't know what to do for the best, he wanted to replace it but I told him I can't face another TKR so soon oh I'm confused x x x
 
Oh Happy Birthday to your son too @Ellejay x one minute it's toddler bikes the next thing they're 19 yrs old. I still cannot believe my first born grandchild is that age so fast x

That's a lovely present for your grandson, he'll be thrilled to bits with it x x x

Love Ann xxx
 
I am so happy you are getting the other replacement!!!! xoxox Just checking in on your thread....
 
Well, one week to go. Oh goodness, why am I doing this all over again? I know why really, but I am getting nervous now.
I'm nearly ready, I've bought all my Christmas presents and cards, I just have to write, wrap and address them now. The Christmas food is either ordered, or being stored in the caravan, that way I have a chance of it still being there for Christmas.
I am making ice daily now, and tipping it into a large plastic bag, ready for when I get home. I have my prescription painkillers ready for collection from the pharmacy. I am also going to take Arnica tablets for a few days before, I did last time and I don't think I bruised as badly as I could have done. The spare room is all set up, books, magazines and TV, lots of pillows to use for elevation, a folding seat in the shower, and a raised toilet seat is soon coming down from the loft. Meals are cooked and frozen for the first couple of weeks, I think I've thought of most things, I just hope I don't get my grandsons cold that he has been intent on sharing with me for the last three days he has been staying here for.
I had the ECG, blood pressure and MRSA tests last Monday, next Monday I go back for blood tests. One last big clean throughout the house and then, that's it, I'm ready.
 
@Ellejay your so well prepared and have lots to keep you busy for the next week,just think this time next week it will all be over and you'll have 2 super new knees.I'm getting so much pain now in my left knee and not sleeping at night,so looks as if it will be my turn soon.Take care lots of VitC and look after yourself.Love Terri
 
We'll all be thinking of you on the 6th Lyn. It's totally natural to be nervous, but you know it's for the great good and you'll be happy you did it in the end. Remember the mantras (and follow them). Sounds as if you're as prepared as can be, so hopefully that will make the 1st couple of weeks easier.

As for your grandson possibly sharing his cold with you, I'd start taking everything I could think of to combat getting it. Airborne, load up on Vitamin C, Zinc, Echinacea (or however you spell it) and all else.

I admire you for doing this again and this time next year you'll be back to doing all that you love! Pain free!
 
Hello Lyn! Just back from an amazing weekend in Mexico - sounds like you couldn't be more prepared - good for you! I look forward to comparing adapted yoga poses with you!
 
Hi @Ellejay

I sure you will be fine. The thing is you know what to expect this time around. You are so well prepared I'm in awe of you x

Love Ann x
 
@Ellejay thought I would visit your thread as you have been so supportive. I hadn't realised that you were having surgery very soon. I do wish you well. We can compare notes.
Reading your thread I also realised you are another ex teacher although I think once a teacher, always one. I retired 5 years ago earlier than planned but was so glad I did. I taught KS2 mainly years 3 And 6. I loved the teaching and the children but not the other stuff we were increasingly called on to do and targets finished me off. So here I am enjoying other things. I actually went at 59 , the age on my profile is 3 years out but I don't know how to change it. 60 does look better though! :rofsign:
Anyway, you sound so well prepared for your op - I am impressed. I didn't do half as much but my husband likes to cook and I think is quite happy for the time being. He's going out with his walking group on Tuesday for the day so I'll have to manage but my daughter will pop in and out and get lunch for me.

I hope you enjoy your days before surgery and get some rest too.
 
Well, I'm completely ready for Saturday....but I definitely have a cold. I've been in denial for the last two days, whilst taking multivitamins, eating oranges and using First Defence. Yesterday I thought I was winning, and felt ok, but I've woken up with a very sore throat, and I was coughing in the night. I will be devastated if I have to put this off. I will have absolutely nothing to do next week, I am ready for Christmas, I've even had Christmas lunch with friends as I wasn't supposed to be around next week.
This happened last year, my op was put off a week because I had a cold, that was the last cold I had, all year no cold- until now! It was better last year as it was just after Christmas, and I had an extra week to clear up, but to put it back a week now will be just horrid. I have the family coming to stay and I'd like to be with them rather than sleeping all the time, or in pain. I've also prepared myself for this op, I've exercised through pain, so the muscles are really in good condition.I so wanted it doing this week.
I will phone the hospital this morning to ask their advice, but I dread their answer, I'm so upset.
 
@Ellejay I do so feel for you. I'm not surprised you are upset. What rotten luck! It's everyone's worst nightmare. Fingers crossed that you'll be ok.
You will definitely find that all the exercise you did will be an enormous help. I did the same and some days had to force myself to go to the gym but it's paying off.

I'll keep hoping for things to go ahead.

Mary x
 
@Ellejay - there is a post somewhere by Josephine on drastic measures to blitz a cold pre surgery. If I remember right it involved taking a huge number of Vit C drinks. I know its on here somewhere .......

XXX
 
Thanks @dogwheels, I will search. I've just phoned the hospital and at least they didn't say no. It's up to the anaesthetist, he assesses me on Saturday. Hopefully as I want a spinal all will be well as it shouldn't affect my breathing.
 
Ellejay,
I just stopped by to wish you well, and find out you have a cold. Wishing for a mild cold and clear lungs for you to go ahead. Rest is best, sending prayers and thoughts your way.
If there is something about colds @Josephine can point you in the right direction.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Oh no! I hope you get this cleared up - all that work and planning only to wait would be awful. Sending you healing thoughts!
 
@SuperSnapper, @Pumpkln, @dogwheels, @TexasTee & @yiayia3
Thank you so much for your supportive and friendly messages, I've had yet another 'last lunch' out with friends and I'm feeling a lot more cheerful than I did this morning, I did feel poorly and I was so fed up then. I had convinced myself that my op would be cancelled, but hopefully I'm in with a chance. I've had so much bit C and zinc today, used more First Defence, I'm feeling a bit better now, so hopefully I should be ok. I've also started the arnica tablets, so I'm being positive about this.
 
Back
Top Bottom