TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

P.S. I always get that when I try to put photos on here. It always says it is too big to go on. Never used to say that. I try to crop the photos a bit and sometimes that helps. Not always tho.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
£30 is a lot of money @robynhood, but I would like to do it just once, trouble is it's a long way from home, I will have to make another trip to that part of the world.
Hi @cafecortado, @dogwheels is really the person to ask about pool exercises, she gave me a whole list, but I'll make a start here and hope she will add to them when she sees this post.
I start off with walking up and down (in the learner pool) to warm up, sideways, then backwards, then mini lunges with each step. I stand at the side and do some squats and then rise up on to my toes, I use one of those long foam floats and lie on my back and kick up and down, I support myself in the corner of the pool and 'cycle',
I use the pool steps ( big wide ones, not the metal steps) to do some lunges, then the fun starts - I attempt to put arm bands on both ankles (take care here - it is easy to fall and nearly drown, believe me - I've done it!) then stand holding the bar let one foot bend upwards and hold for ten secs, then push down forcefully,repeat several times. Still with the bands on do some kicking, some walking,some leg swinging ( front to back, sideways)
I'm sure I've forgotten lots, but that should get you started. I don't know whether you have a spa in your pool, but the best bit is relaxing afterwards in the jacuzzi, letting the jets of water massage the knee. I use the sauna and steam rooms as well, the heat does help,to relax the muscles to help,with stretching.
Have fun xxx
 
I will have to investigate water therapy after my tkr. I know one of the PT facilities in my health plan has a therapy pool...
 
Thanks Ellejay, sounds fab, you're a star for going into so much detail! I'm going to scoot over to dogwheels now for her "bible" of exercises she also kindly offered. X


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Well I'm celebrating my 4 month aknneeversary today, and if it wasn't for the other one playing up I would be a happy bunny. My TKR knee is still painful at night, and is very stiff first thing in the morning, but throughout the day it is fine, getting stronger day by day and with a ROM of 110 now, life is so much better than before. Still can't quite pedal my bike, I'm so nearly there, it's lack of confidence stopping me now- I'm fine on my static
 
Hey @Ellejay, congratulations on your 4 months anniversary and a rom of 110! You're definitely getting there......maybe I'll see you cycling in Yorkshire in the Tour de France? ;) x


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Happy 4 month kneeversary. Things will improve so much from here with your TKR knee. Shame about the other one. You have my sympathy. :flwrysmile:
 
Happy kneeversary! Yes it does get better. Your ROM is great and i your other knee responded to the new medication!
 
Happy four month Akneeversary @Ellejay :flwrysmile: x x x x I hope you've had a good day x I was in such a bad mood with my knee last week I forgot it was mine. If it's behaving at five months I'll mention it! Xxx Well done :bicycle1:x x.
 
I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!! IVE JUST RIDDEN MY BIKE. :bicycle1::yes!:

I'm so thrilled, and extremely proud of myself, I had to tell you all on here, you've all been so supportive of me.
I went to the pool this morning and did lots of hydro exercising, and came back and got straight on the bike and it worked, I could ride it at long last. Talk about last minute, we're leaving for France on Sunday and I still wasn't sure that it would be worth taking the bike. When I found that I couldn't get training wheels as @TexasTee suggested I knew I just had to go for it. Hopefully if it doesn't rain too much later we'll be able to go out for a longer ride.
I'm going to pop into some of your threads now to share my good news, I will have to change my signature as well:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Ellejay, what wonderful news!!! I'm so very happy for you! Do be careful tooling around France on your bike though. No wine tasting while peddling. :heehee:
 
Congratulations - what a terrific An-kneeversary gift to yourself, you've reached your goal!! Kudos - watch out France!
 
❤️well done❤️ you will have more days like this. Celebrate them


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Ellejay! That's amazing news! Well done woo hoo! X


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
@Jozilla, @dogwheels, @robynhood, @DogLoverx3, @TexasTee, @cafecortado
Thank you so much for your messages, everyone on here is so kind and supportive.
We put my bike on the back of the car this afternoon and went out to a quiet country lane so I could practice my new found skill, and I was fine. As I thought it was mainly a confidence issue, it is still very painful for the first few revolutions, but after that it's ok.
Now I must start ironing and packing.....
 
.....We put my bike on the back of the car this afternoon and went out to a quiet country lane so I could practice my new found skill, and I was fine. As I thought it was mainly a confidence issue, it is still very painful for the first few revolutions, but after that it's ok.
Now I must start ironing and packing.....[/QUOTE]

BRILLIANT! There will be no stopping you now! Woo hoo! X


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Back
Top Bottom