TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Freddy the Frenchman worked a miracle today. He lay me on my tummy and massaged and pummelled my leg. He had to stop a few times cos it hurt, he told me to warn him if it got really bad and he'd stop. He got my knee straight. When I rolled on to my back and sat up it wouldn't straighten on to the bed! Anyway he pummelled and massaged my leg and had to stop and use acupuncture on some of the very painful areas on the knee. He got it not quite straight that way but leant on it and said that it was good news that there was still "give in it". He has asked me to ask my husband to do gentle pressure how he does it every day. I have another appointment in June next x x x he wants me to text him next Tuesday how I get on with the consultant x
 
Thank you, ladies - we are certainly very happy. Interesting side note...my former husband was an orthopedic nurse!
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, thank you for asking, I'm fine today, how are you? I haven't checked anyone else's threads yet, I'll quickly reply here and then look up everyone else. I do hope that your chest infection is improving. I've only just got in from a busy morning and just thought I'd check in here before I start lots of other jobs. I was in the swimming pool very early this morning doing my hydro exercises, they definitely help and loosen the knees up for the rest of the day. I also used the spa, the jets in the jacuzzi are really wonderful,then sitting in the steam room and sauna are very relaxing. I then visited my Dad, quite difficult really as his memory is getting worse and he can't hear, but he won't see the doctor about his memory, he doesn't bother with his hearing aids, and then I did give him a good telling off as he has just started to have an NHS PT visit him at home and he isn't doing the exercises she has left for him. I told him how much I'm paying a PT, and there he is wasting time and money by not doing what she wants him to. He will be 91 in a couple of weeks so I should be more patient, but he will not do anything he is told to do and then complains when he doesn't improve!
I've contacted my PT this morning and she says she will try massage to try to increase the bend, so I will see her next week to see if it helps. Since my last session with her my left knee has been so much better, so maybe there was something trapped which she loosened, but, as it has improved, and I will have a guided injection in a couple of weeks, then.....the good news is.....as I am typing this my husband is on the phone booking our Euro tunnel ticket to France, we've decided to go after all :dancy:. We will be taking the caravan to Lincolnshire this coming Bank Holiday weekend, and then will start to pack it up to be our home for eight weeks. We will go to the south of France, so hopefully the warm clothing I think I will need this weekend will all come out, and summer clothing can go in.
Now I must go and check on everyone else's threads, chat soon, Lyn xx
 
Hi @Ellejay yes thank you my chest is improving slowly. My brother rang in his precious dinner break today to see how I am bless him!

That's fantastic news that you are going away I your lovely new caravan and to go to South of France that must be divine! I'm so pleased for you I pm really and honestly am. I bet you're really excited now!

Unfortunately some older gentlemen are notoriously cantankerous but you're right patience has to be key. He old, most likely very fed up, chances are that most of his siblings and friends have died by now and this alone can make them become very kind of insular. My father in law is nearly 87. He still drives himself to Wales etc but his eye sight is terrible as his concentration but he will not listen to any of us either. I totally understand your feelings regarding the PT. It would annoy me too while we have to pay like we do. Trouble is they give up way too easily and unless someone is with them 24/7 nagging them to exercise they just won't do it!

I'm staying home this weekend until I'm sure my chest is really ok. Like my knee my Asthma is not to be trusted at the moment. I don't want to end up in a Welsh hospital, lovely as they are, miles away from home. The little Cottage Hospital in Tywyn, Gwynnedd is superb. The care is like private. Nothing is too much trouble. However it is only for minor injuries/short stay.

Anyway, I'll catch you later. I'm a bit worried not to have heard from @dogwheels today. She's probably busy right now x x x

Love Ann x x x
 
Now you've given me something to think about - if my knee deteriorates I wonder if I'd be better off having a new one in France??? (Only joking) xx
 
I hope the massage does you right - I love France so I'm certain that you'll have a wonderful time and that your knees will behave...but just think how many Freddies there will be, if they don't ;)
 
Hi @Ellejay, @TexasTee, @robynhood, @chestnc and all! So, how did the appointment go? I hope you got some answers. I got BOTH (extravagance!) pairs of my Clark's shoes, and they're both great ans so comfortable. Will try walking a few miles in them tomorrow. Oh I don't think I've got to the last of the posts, came in half way through!
Right. Now I've caught up a bit! @nana Moon, now a chest infection? I hope you're on the mend. You must have been quite 'run down' (to use one of my Mum's phrases!) to have the abscess and now a chest infection. Take care of you.
@Ellejay, the South of France - how wonderful. I love France! We go often, living near Dover, but rarely get beyond Honfleur in Normandy. Most trips are day trips to Calais for booze runs, shopping and a nice meal over there. Why are you having to pay for PT? Surely it should be part of the recovery process under NHS after a TKR? The sun in SoF should be therapy in itself!
Hope everyone's well. I'm back and walking - hurray!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Judlepip - congrats on the shoes score, hope they are as comfortable for the long walks.

So jealous of you all being able so quickly travel to other countries...I can't even quickly travel out of Texas, it's a huge state!

Chloe had a bad night and is back at the vets today - nervous mama needs to stop pacing around or I won't be able to walk to pick her up! Hope they can figure out what is happening...poor thing has just lost a ton of weight, she was down 20lbs from about 5 weeks ago and I keep her light as she has bad knees, too, so she could not afford to lose that much.
 
@TexasTee. Wow, I've only just seen your stunning photograph! Congratulations! You look wonderful. We ARE at the golden stage! We've been married 50 years this summer! Golden celebrations are in the plans. Sorry about Chloe, let us know how she gets on.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
wow, 50 years is amazing!!! Congratulations!! I can only hope to manage that...wonder how many knee replacements that will entail?! :dubious:
 
@TexasTee - just a real quickie to say I hope that the vet manages to get to the root of the problem and that Chloe improves quickly. Do you think it has anything to do with her problem the other week?
So horrid when they cannot tell you where it hurts and what the trouble is.
Thinking of you both
XX
 
@TexasTee, I do hope Chloe is OK, hugs to you and her, xxx
@Judlepip, my consultant said that there was no funding for more PT, just the four group sessions I had just after the op. But, the good news is I saw my GP today who told me that he would refer me for some NHS PT, although there is a horrendous waiting list, but as I won't get back from France until the end of July that will be fine. He also prescribed Meloxicam for my night time pain, it's an NSAID, has anyone else here taken it?

My daughter has had a day out with my Dad today, she took him to the RAF museum, he loved it as he was a pilot in WW2, so could tell her all about the planes. She is such a good girl to give up her day. I'm very proud of her,she went for a new job within her company, there were 52 applicants, 7 were interviewed, and now 4 have been asked to do a presentation, and she is one of the 4! She doesn't think she stands a chance, but to have got this far is wonderful and has done her ego a power of good.
 
@Ellejay my OS prescribes meloxicam. It is a great NSAID if you can take them. I had to stop as I have GERD and it was wrecking havoc on my stomach.

Great going for your daughter! She sounds like one terrific young lady. She should be proud too to make the top four. I wish ER well!

Xoxo


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks @Ellejay and @dogwheels - dogs are so stoic that it's heartbreaking when they are in pain and trying to be a trooper. They have her sedated again and are trying to resolve things...best guess is that a rather large piece of bone was trapped farther up her intestine and has only now made it to the exit to get stuck again. Hope so, anything else if far worse.

Brilliant for your daughter and tell her that as HR, I categorically disagree that she has no shot - she would not have made the final cut if they did not believe that she was capable of the role...perhaps not this go 'round if there are others more senior or more ready but that they put her in the mix means they think she has a lot of potential, and THAT is priceless. And on top of that, she has a terrific Mom and a huge heart to spend her day with an ailing grandfather. She'll do well.
 
@Ellejay have a fantastic holiday and really enjoy yourself. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I try and see the funny side of everything at the moment. It does help me. Xoxoxox
 
Enjoy Ellejay - will miss you!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Good day all, Have a wonderful break, @Ellejay. Your daughter sounds a super person.
Re extra weight - something to make you laugh @Nana moon 27 -

'Research has shown that women who carry a little extra weight, live slightly longer than do the men who mention it!' Made me laugh out loud! In fact - LOL.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom