Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Woo hoo @Ellejay for your bike! I hope you have a wonderful time, but TAKE IT EASY! @Nana moon 27 I like your comment 'gods own country as they call it here'. There are so many areas where this applies! Yorkshire's one, Kent another, Scotland!, etc., etc! Are we all deluded or just patriotic! (Countyotic?! ).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well, I'm just back from my physio appointment, she did some massage and then worked on my muscles, then more massage, and when she measured me my ROM is now 115!!! I have really worked hard on hydro and on the bike this week but I put this tremendous improvement down to the massage treatments. I do feel let down by the NHS, yes I had my knee 'for free' but then with only four group exercise sessions they left the job half finished. Just think where I'd be if I'd had a weekly massage session from the beginning, or at least when my scar allowed it. My knee feels so good afterwards as well, everybody deserves this, not depending on where you live or whether you can pay. I've paid for these recent sessions, but I'm on the waiting list for some NHS PT, by the time I get back from France I might be half way up the list :sad:.
 
That massage really seemed to help your ROM. I wonder if it is because our muscles are more tense when they are in pain. Whatever it is you are getting great results and sounding much much better! Perfect timing for France!
 
Terrific news about your ROM! You certainly shouldn't have to pay it yourself but it's clearly worth the investment, glad you were able to make it possible.
 
Hi @Ellejay - congrats on your ROM !! So many positives before you scoot off to France. You must be feeling really good. :spin:
Glad the massage is helping - I do think that you get to a certain point and then it really comes into its own, especially if the PT can trust you to put in the hard graft with the exercises at home. You can do the exercises yourself but its nigh on impossible to massage certain bits - although I have been tempted to have a roll around on a tennis ball!! Perhaps you could try that? It would make a change from your dance with the arm band on your leg!

I am not going to be drawn on the state of the NHS (I can feel a soap box moment coming on and I am fighting the urge)! Trouble is it's a free service with not enough resources and too many people using it. I was aghast to be asked by my insurer if I wanted to be paid a sizeable amount and have my TKR in an NHS hospital - why??
Firstly I am paying for private care so surely that's what I want, and more importantly, as if the NHS isn't stretched enough already!!

When I consider the amount I have paid in physio and hydro in the last 8 weeks to get my ROM back - it is scary. Well into 4 figures, as I had already used up all my insurance allowance on the first 6 weeks recovery. I am extremely fortunate to be able to pay for intensive treatment - but where would I be now if I couldn't?? With an operated knee that would hardly bend?? It really doesn't bear thinking about. As we say so often on here, every persons recovery is different - I would add that everybody who goes through this, deserves and should be entitled to the level of aftercare that they need until they reach a reasonable level of recovery. I just wish that could be the case.

Apologies for sounding off - but I find the whole system and the 'what if's' so terribly inadequate and scary.

Now having had a major toot on poor Ellejay's thread - I'm off to bed.

XX
 
Hi @Ellejay what a marvellous rom result. 115! You must be ecstatic. What a wonderful week what with your bike, packing for France, yours dads upcoming birthday, your visit off your dil with your grandchild. Wonderful! I do feel for you though with all the pressure of trying to pack and everything so early. My heart goes out to you on that one it really does.

I may be wrong but I don't think NHS PT are very keen at getting hands on with their patient for massage etc. Like I said I may be wrong. I judging by the experience I went through with them compared to what I go through with Freddy. He totally blames my situation with my knee down to improper physio in the first place. He totally blames them! There is no doubt that massage based physio is far more effective than a group of people doing a one size fits all gym physio. I honestly think that the money we spend on the private physios is worth it just to be listened to, extras like acupuncture when the massage gets uncomfortable.

I'm so pleased everything is coming together for your holiday Lyn it's absolutely great.

Oh by the way I totally showed the surgeon I was a teacher today. He was writing down the admission form for the op. As usual subconsciously I'm checking what he is writing. Before my brain engaged with my mouth I'm telling him that he's made a mistake and put my left knee down for surgery when Its my right! He apologised and I saw my husband roll his eyes as if to say oh for goodness sake woman! The surgeon corrected his mistake! I said that I was sorry for correcting him but it's in my nature because of my job and he did laugh over it.

Anyway, I hope everything is going to plan. Catch you soon
love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, I would have done just the same - imagine the confusion further down the line if someone else was reading your notes, especially once you have the other knee done.
@dogwheels, you rant and toot as much as you like, I think our NHS is wonderful, but it only goes so far. When I think back to the big hospital in North London that I went to for my group physio, the people there could not have afforded extra private sessions, so presumably some of them may not have moved on as far as I have. It isn't a fair system, but it's all we've got.
Just off to hydro, it's 7.15 & the learner pool is all mine until 9 am.
Chat later xxxx
 
Ooh @Ellejay I love the sound of exclusive rights on the pool for a while. My kind of heaven that!

The NHS does it's best but I also think a lot of how they vary is according to area. I totally agree it's a wonderful system that is as fair as it can possibly be but there has to be a limit. I think the future is going to have to be private medical insurance.

Our main hospital struggles with the sheer volume of patients. As I said in an earlier post it was never designed to stretch the way it has. The NHS is in desperate need of an overhaul. There were several cases of elderly people (including my late aunt) who were neglected. My aunt was unable to feed or drink unaided. She would be brought a cup of tea and it would be put on the side. Her dinner was out on the trolley in front of her. She'd had a stroke. In the end my mom complained, her family complained and for a few days things did improve. Unfortunately things started to slide again and again mom had to complain. Unfortunately my aunt passed away in hospital very suddenly. Me and mom had gone to visit her in the afternoon and there was a beaker of soup on her table from lunch. Obviously it was untouched. Mom helped her to drink it and she indicated with her eyes and grunts she was happy. Relieved to be honest. Mom gave her some water too. We left her at 4.30. We were due to go back up at 6.30 , when mom received a phone call to say my aunt had passed away. We just looked at each other In disbelief.

In fairness to the nurses they didn't stop. It was a very busy ward and they were working flat out. There just was not enough time for them to give the individual care some of these elderly people, like my aunt, the attention that they needed.

I hope that the hydro went well. Have you managed to do all your packing yet?

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Nana moon 27, have I done my packing yet???:rotfl: I'm getting there....:heehee:
I like to take the first couple of meals with me so I don't start off the holiday with any cooking and I always travel with a fruit cake - it's a family joke but I always feel a fruit cake will help to cope with any emergency, a shop bought one just doesn't cut the mustard - how's that for a phrase to use @hopefaith? It means it just won't do the job properly. So I'm off now to bake a cake, make a quiche and a lamb tagine.
I know what you mean about hospital care of elderly people, my poor mum was blind, she fell and broke her arm and had to have it pinned in an operation, so it was in a sling, the nurses would put her meals on a table, where she couldn't reach it, couldn't even see it, and then take it away untouched. When we realised was happening the family made up a rota to be there at every meal time, the hospital didn't like it but tough, at least we knew she was being fed.
I looked after gorgeous grandson unexpectedly yesterday, he only has a cold, but is feeling rough and was happier with grandma than with the minder. He's sleeping here tonight so we are all together for lunch tomorrow, so I'm certainly getting my 'grandson fix' before I go away and won't see him for eight weeks.
'See you' later xxx
 
Mmmm @Ellejay lamb tagine and a fruitcake, I'll be down in a couple of hours lol xxx seriously though, you're right, cake always seems to be the right thing doesn't it. I'm the same x x

I had my grandchildren fix yesterday evening once I woke up from that deep sleep.

It is so horrid how our relatives are sometimes left In an unacceptable situation, where you think they're safe and basic needs should be met!

I bet you feel like wonder woman with all this multitasking! Lol x

Catch you later love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Ellejay - I'm with Nana Moon - lamb tagine and fruit cake - my idea of heaven! Nice you have your grandson fix before your trip - but I don't envy you the swift preparation to get away. When we had our caravan our first night meal was always Beef tacos with all the bits and bobs. My daughter still calls it 'Caravan Supper'.

I hope that your plans for your Dads birthday go really well tomorrow, and most importantly that he really enjoys the day.

All this talk of the NHS - my elderly batchelor Uncle was in a hospital in Brighton. The man in the next bed called a nurse and said: 'the bloke in the next bed is very quiet and has been for a couple of hours, he's also gone a funny colour'. He'd been dead for hours and nobody knew or had checked him.

I think you are right NM27, something has to be done and private medicine is likely. Its such a shame when we were renowned for our wonderful, free NHS. At times it really cannot be faulted, but it falls so short on many occasions now. My own view is that private medicine should be just that - private. That means all private facilities: GP; test labs; hospitals ....... the lot. Even if it costs a bit more. The current system of NHS GP, Private Consultant, NHS Hospital etc is a joke and drains the NHS further. The two should be kept separate. My daughter went to private school but she didn't have some lessons there and some at the state comprehensive. Sorry - all this sitting around is making me a bit bolshie!!!!

XXX
 
Mmmmm....Wonder Woman @Nana moon 27, not quite I'm afraid, I've just had to sit down, both knees are screaming for rest. They can rest tomorrow, I need to do too much today, but don't worry - I won't be silly, I will listen to my knees.
 
@Ellejay I actually use the saying "cut the mustard." I don't know if I have heard others say that. My Mother was from Maine and she said SO many fun/funny sayings that I find myself saying and people look at me and say "and what does THAT mean" She was from a very small town in the northeastern U.S. and it was truly a different world.
 
I've took two paracetamol and come to bed. Both knees are very swollen and painful. The new lawn mower isn't even as heavy as the vacuum and is effortless x x x I've only pulled weeds with a little hand fork and trowel and swept. No digging or forking over x so no matter what I do I pay for it. I cannot keep living like this. Pre op I used to do some digging but I was careful and towards the end I couldn't do it at all. X x x
 
@Nana moon 27
Oh Anne, I was shocked to hear that you were mowing the lawn, when you said you were in the garden, I thought you meant relaxing, legs raised, enjoying the sun. Remember the mantra -
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it-
I still think this applies to you, your poor knees need to rest, not garden.Sorry for the lecture, but I can feel for you, I know that screaming pain, and I don't want you to suffer any more than you are already. It's the pain that brings the tears so close to the surface, and then things escalate, your husband doesn't understand and upsets you more....
Oh I do so wish we were closer, wouldn't it be lovely to chat over a cup of tea, completely understanding how we each feel.
I so hope that you can nap this afternoon and wake refreshed, I will check in later to see now you are. xxx
 
Congrats on your terrific ROM!! I'm so happy for you! Wanted to pop in and wish you luck tomorrow for your injection (with my early onset senility and all, who knows if I'll actually remember tomorrow). I'm certain all will go well and your knees (yes, both) will be great for your trip! xoxox
 
@Ellejay - I also thought that NM27 was getting a sneaky suntan in the garden - not pulling weeds and mowing lawns!
I am now going to virtually wag my finger and tell you Nana Moon, that although I know how much you love that garden of yours, it isn't doing your knee any favours. Could you not get one or two of your grandchildren to help a little bit if it really has to be done? I wish we still had 'Bob a Job'!
Second wag coming up to tell @Ellejay not to overdo and be careful on that bike. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Take care all of you and take it ............................ slowly and gently!!

XX
 
Aww, thank you for remembering @Karringtyn & @DogLoverx3, you are both such busy ladies, both of you at work, it is really thoughtful of you to take time out to think of me.
@dogwheels, virtual wag received and acknowledged, I will be careful, but I think we both need to virtually wag our fingers at dear @Nana moon 27, what was she thinking of, gardening!
Well, the house is now ready for visitors, baking is done, most of the packing is done, just the fridge items to be delivered by 'Avocado' :loll:on Saturday, Dads present card and cake are ready so I'm off for a bath and a rest.
xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom