Revision TKR Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery

I had sedation with spinal and never heard or knew a thing about it all. I told the anaesthetist I didn't want to be awake and he reassured me most patients couldn't tell that they hadn't had a GA other than a better recovery. It was so nice waking up without the grogginess (is that a word?) and nausea of a GA. I'd have the photo taken. You don't need to look at it, but it might provide you with ammunition if you need it.
Good luck next week. I hope it all goes smoothly and you get some relief. Maybe a smaller implant will take pressure off a nerve? Don't know if that's how it might work, but will keep fingers crossed for you. We're here for support when you need it. No-one understands quite what it's like until they've shared the experience.:console2:
 
:console2: I know you don’t want to go through this again. But next week it will be behind you and you’ll be on your way to recovery. I wish I’d been given the option of pictures!! I know, I’m weird... It sounds like you’ve taken care of everything, done all you could do to make sure that you have the best outcome possible. I’ll be thinking of you.
 
@Lindylee That is very reassuring. Thanks a bunch for the feedback on spinal block and the encouragement. And, yes, no one can possibly appreciate the trauma of this surgery until they’ve experienced it firsthand. Even then, it varies for each of us.
@jboles I can always count on you for a kind word of support. Much appreciation!!! =‘)

Day 2 without a vehicle and I’m already going bonkers. Was tempted to use Uber today to get a haircut, grab a $10 maxi dress at Old Navy, and grab some Tylenol PM at Target. Going to try out a new app soon called Freebird which’ll cut my travel costs. PM me if you’ve tried it and/or want my link to save $10 on your next couple of trips. ^_- I sure wish Walmart offered delivery to my humble abode. Fred Meyer’s does via Instacart, but their delivery charges are spendy! =| This living alone (on 3rd floor no less) is sure making life complicated. O_o

In other news, my to do list is slowing getting shorter. If I color my hair and trim kitty’s nails by day’s end, I’ll be satisfied. LOL

I probably won’t visit here as much in the early days of recovery (or maybe I will 100x as much?! =‘D) . I find it tricky to navigate the BoneSmart site (including the app!) via iPhone.

Elaine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to use your phone is to use its browser to access the forum web site, and not to use the app.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/

It's normal for people to not post for several days after their surgery.
 
I agree with Celle that it's normal for people to not post for a time after their surgeries. (of course we all know I'm abnormal, so posted a few hours after.....lol) You'll be trying to get yourself situated, likely in pain so will need meds adjusted, and so on, so will probably not feel up to it. But that's okay-we'll look forward to hearing from you when you're ready. Take care and best wishes on an excellent outcome!
 
@eelainea65 we must be kindred spirits, coloring your hair and trimming kitty’s nails, exactly what I did, you know, the important stuff, lol. Just make sure you have all the essentials so once you get up those 3 flights of stairs you won’t need to come back down for a few days :yikes:
 
@eelainea65 , wishing you all the very best for a successful surgery! I was doing things on my list right up until the night before surgery. It was exhausting :yawn: The spinal will be fine. It provides pain relief for a period of time after. Bonus!
 
It must be a real pain without transport. Wishing you a very successful recovery this time.:console2:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery


@Irish471 Thank you! ☺️ Spinal block wasn’t horrific. Numbing is ouchy, but fairly quick. Spinal itself wasn’t felt much. Just pressure/a sensation of movement. Nerve block at knee/thigh was barely noticeable.

@Lindylee Yep, miss my wheels, but not feeling up to much travel anyways. TY!

@jboles Hi, Jan. I’m home now. Medicated and quite content to stay in my power recliner. Thanks for the well wishes!

Two nights in OHSU Hospital. Too weary to share w/ many words just yet, but will soon. Rounded up some pictures until then that kinda sum up my experience.
Clockwise: Freshly bandaged after revision, PT’s cute mock car to practice method of getting in/out with a new knee, the honest reality of late night/early morning pain (aka 5 mg of oxycodone wasn’t enough for me), going home (getting in/out of this low car was still EXTREMELY painful despite tips).

Video: Fun triumphant trip to room after surgery. Alas, it’s 1:26 and “file is too large.” Darn.

Laters, Elaine
 
Glad it's over and you're back home. I remember well the pain of getting in the car leaving hospital! Take,care and be kind to yourself, especially in these early days.:console2: Expect to be on that seesaw from time to time though :good-bad:
 
I’m glad the surgery is over and you’re home!

Here’s a refresher course of the Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Glad you’re home and resting. Lots of useful information from Jockette. Rest, elevate and ice, and ice some more!
 
One week later... Wow, seems like yesterday AND seems like a month ago. Did a quick scan of fellow late Apr/early May TKR-ers and am relieved to see our stories pretty much line up.

Thinking that others might benefit from my experience and I might gain insight as well, here are some of my talking points/curiousities. Forgive the redundancy if I’ve already made any of these points before. Brain/drug fog!

1) This was my first time w/ spinal and femoral nerve blocks. As others have said, discomfort stemmed from the preliminary numbing injection. And even that was brief and manageable. Not fun, mind you, but tolerable. What was a bit disconcerting for me was the medical assistant who stood in front of me gently holding my shoulders....as if I were about to bolt/fly off the table. O_o Didn’t even feel femoral block actually. Spinal block itself was more about them feeling around to find right spot, my mimicking an arched cat back, and a slight pressure sensation. Final take: much ado about nothing. BTW, anti-anxiety stuff (“happy juice”) in IV *does* help. ^_-
I did get a chance to look around OR before I was sedated. Kinda cool. But glad I didn’t see the power tools. Felt a bit concerned when they were moving me from gurney to table. Was thinking (and might have even said aloud), “Okay, fellas. I’m no Barbie. Please don’t drop me!” =‘D Not sure exactly when sedation occurred. I was awake, then I wasn’t! Then I opened my eyes “a few seconds” later.

2). Like a couple others said, I was content to be in hospital. Felt safe and looked after. Knew I wasn’t alone and in good care. The staff at OHSU were nothing short of angels. Had only one pain meltdown in hospital. Wasn’t treated like a nuisance. Had two at home. Calls to friends helped me through. Doing MUCH better a week later. Still hurts like the dickens to get in/out of bed/chair/toilet...and first few steps of walking upon rising, but I feel in control.

3) Hoping to avoid physical dependence on the oxycodone this rodeo. It was a real challenge on previous two TKRs. Have only used 10 mg a handful of occasions this time around. Have stretched my 5 mg Oxy from four, to five, and now six hrs. Still doing 1000 of Tylenol every 8 hrs. 81 mg of baby aspirin 2x a day.

4) A friend spotted (stood near) me as I entered shower (step in tub/shower combo w/ sliding doors) the first time. Was nervous about getting out. Getting in, not as bad. Glad I waited instead of going it alone. Oh, and what a glorious feeling to bathe after nearly a week! =P

5) Had my very first run-in w/ diabetes at hosptal. An 6.7% A1C (collected at preop) led to regular pre-meal finger sticks, two insulin injections, and meals limited to 40 carbs. Apparently high blood sugar invites infection. =| Was instructed to use glucometer each morning at home and follow up with PCP. Readings have been 142, 117, 99, and 100. I really think my body freaked at hospital. The anxiety and the meds, etc. Hopefully I can stay on top of this before it rears its ugly head again. No more bingeing on tasty grape juice. Who knew?

6) The tightness and inflammation are alarming. Feels like incredible pressure tugging at sutures/dissolvable strips. I know it’s normal though. No signs of fever, fresh blood, redness, or hotness.

7) Potty matters. The big “C” has NOT been an issue this time. I think not having GA and limiting the oxycodone helped a whole lot! Was given powdered laxative and stool softeners at hospital. Did business once or twice there. Haven’t taken anything at home. All seems to be functioning well enough. Coffee, of course, helps! =P

Speaking of the potty...

TTYL, Elaine ^_^
 
What a good recovery you are having! I much prefer the spinal/sedation over the GA anyday. I always end up throwing up for a few days after a GA. Great news that the poop fairy has been coming around :catdance::chuckmarch:. So many of us suffered with the opposite after this surgery. You are blessed.
 
Good to hear you are doing well. I’m glad the spinal with sedation went well. I’ve had that with both my TKR’s and also this time with the revision. I was at a different hospital this time, it’s a teaching hospital and I had a resident anesthesiologist. He had to stick me 3 times in my back and twice for the femoral block. He still didn’t get the femoral block in correctly, it was leaking out down my leg. Glad he eventually got the spinal one in...

Doesn’t it feel great to get a shower? But wears you out too!!
 
I had a spinal/ nerve block, on both TKR. They woke me up 1/2 through my first, it was cool sounds like you are recovering well. My second is 13 days post, and this one hurt like hell. Staying on meds and icing. Treat yourself good
 
@jboles Mine was also a teaching hospital, but I think I’d have been freaking out if my anesthesiologist experience had been like yours. Heck, I got queasy just reading what you wrote! Yes, shower = wonderful and shower = hard work.
@winemama Thank you. And you the same!

Well, it’s been a week now. Here’s what I’m thinking...

1) I think I have slept for MOST of the past week. I would ask if that’s normal, but I think I know the answer already.
2) I am amazed at the progress of my healing in such a very short time. I’m not using my walker at home much anymore and have been able to lift/swing my leg up onto my rather high bed without using a makeshift pulley system, aka my bathrobe belt. Eight hours will pass before it occurs to me I’ve not taken any oxycodone. My followup is next Wed and I’ll be pleased if I don’t bother asking for a refill! *knock on wood*
3) I have not yet subjected myself to formal PT. I’m sure a scolding will ensue before long. I simply feel that between the painful inflammation and my going through the daily motions of living on my own, it is adequately challenged. Not motivated to push myself to the point of needing to rely more heavily on medication.
4) On a more personal note (if that is possible), I am realizing who my true friends are. It’s both sad and eye opening. It’s hard to ask for help. Very humbling. While essentially ignored by some I thought would be there during these difficult early days, I have also been blessed to have been showered w/ kindness from unexpected acquaintances. It does remind me of the dire importance of reaching out to any I know who are struggling. A simple “How are you feeling?” or “May I drop off a few groceries, load your dishwasher, run your vacuum, or take out your trash?” are seriously like kisses of life when one lives alone!

*steps off soapbox*

Until next time,
Elaine
 
Elaine Ignore the people who are clueless and embrace those that get it. You are recovering from a surgery that most don't understand. Most people don't understand how traumatic this surgery is.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom