Revision TKR Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery

@eelainea65 yes that’s the test. Panel 2. I have BCBS also, and I paid out of pocket, however I filed a claim myself, BCBS sent me a form, and they applied what I paid towards my total out of pocket expenses.
 
@jboles That was VERY helpful. Thank you!
Some quick questions:
Is your BCBS of NC?
How long did it take to receive your kit?
How long did it take to receive results?

My revision is coming up soon, 5/1/19!

Much appreciation again, Elaine
 
Yes it’s BCBS of NC. Are you in NC too? I paid for rush shipping because I was in a time crunch also. I don’t remember exactly how long, I don’t think it was more than 2 weeks total. I called them before I ordered and asked about time, they were very helpful and answered all my questions. I had it done in 2017 and my original OS cancelled my surgery and told me that he didn’t have any implant that he could use for me. So I had to start all over.
 
Yes, I too have BCBS-NC, but live in Oregon. Is there not a PM feature here at BoneSmart? :chinstroke:I thought there was, but couldn’t find it. I went to your profile and thought I might reach you directly. Would it be possible to chat w/ you?
I have FB and Messenger.
A million thanks!
Elaine
 
[Bonesmart.org] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery


Bye bye, $573!
Hope it is money well invested.
Should know by next week. *fingers crossed*
Tired of this wretched pain. =‘(
 
Hello,

With pending bilateral TKR I am reading your thread with a sense of sadness for what has happened to you.

Once my surgery was booked in 28/5 I started reading all I could and still do.... I note you are a courier, which know doubt means you are on your feet, in and out off your truck and generally not able to rest.... I wonder and I have no medical background at all if you gave your knees enough time to recover from such a big operation ?

Of course there will be much more to it in your case but recovery time seems to be long and not something we can or should cut... In a perfect world of course, we all have to pay bills and eat...

I hope it all turns around for you and you are able to finally get some relief. Take care and good luck.
 
@Atlas_aus. Thank you for your kind words. I would have liked the luxury of more recovery time, but I returned 10 wks after my second back-to-back TKR. I drive 265 miles daily. At least it’s an SUV and not a car. And, yes, being a single gal, I gotta keep a roof over my head and food in my cat’s bowl.
Bilateral? Wow, aren’t you the brave one! I hope you have a good support system. Doing it almost all alone was rough. Hopefully you don’t live on the 3rd floor like me. Stupid stairs. *growl* And maybe you’ll have an ice machine!
Okay, I’m writing in a zombie state, I’ll bid you adieu. Elaine
P.S. I shall follow your journey.
 
@eelainea65, be sure you send in a doctor's order for that blood test when you send your blood back to them. They won't process it without one. I made that mistake and could find no doctor to write me an order for the test, so I had to send it back. Thank God they refunded me.
 
eelainea65 said:
Would it be possible to update my thread title? Perhaps something along the lines of “Hoping for better results this time!” I don’t know.
If you're undecided about your thread title, why don't you just go for the bog standard one which I've applied for you.

I'd also ask you to NOT use quotes to answer someone else's post, specially when it's only the post before yours. It's unnecessary unless there specific short passages you wish to address. (like mine above!)
 
@eelainea65, be sure you send in a doctor's order for that blood test when you send your blood back to them.

@sistersinhim, actually, this is all that was required. I faxed the form [with my information filled in] to my doctor’s office and they completed this small section and faxed it on to Chicago. T’was pretty easy. =)

[Bonesmart.org] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery
 
Good, that's all you need. My doctors wouldn't order the test. I have no idea why. I had already paid for it and had it in hand.
 
@sistersinhim How annoying! What harm could come of being informed, especially when you’re willing to foot the cost?! While the four before him weren’t very receptive to the possibility, my current doctor at OHSU welcomes the report. *whew* As Sherlock Holmes would say, “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
 
The results are in! NO metal hypersensitivity/allergies. I was so certain this was the explanation. *face palm* I spent hours researching my symptoms with Dr Google. I feel so stupid. Now I’m back to square one. Surgery is next week and I’m no closer to understanding what’s wrong with me. Why am I getting these knees revised?! Meeting w/ surgeon’s PA for pre-op physical and testing Thursday. I’m tempted to call this all off. Feeling scared and depressed. No guarantee of success. The painful long recovery. Loneliness/isolation. Opiates. Debt. No vehicle (while away from work on disability). =‘(
[Bonesmart.org] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery
 
Last edited:
I’m glad that you aren’t allergic to metals, at least now you don’t have to worry about that anymore. Having an allergy to metal not only affects TKR but other medical procedures you may have. So that’s something you won’t have to worry about.
I hope and pray that your OS will discover what your problem is and that the revision will work and you’ll finally get the good outcome that we all want.
 
I spent hours researching my symptoms with Dr Google. I feel so stupid. Now I’m back to square one. Surgery is next week and I’m no closer to understanding what’s wrong with me. Why am I getting these knees revised?!
Don't feel stupid. You were exploring all possible reasons. Doing research isn't stupid. It's good.
You've excluded one cause and you no longer need to worry about it. That's a good thing.

Sometimes there just is no explanation and a revisions works, even when there doesn't seem to be a reason why the original didn't work.

Is your surgeon's PA someone you can talk to about this? He/she may be able to offer some explanation, or maybe not. Whichever it is, you will have let the surgical team know about your concerns.
 
@jboles Thank you, Jan. Logically I know you’re right. I was just so looking forward (after all these months of hurting) to having an “Ah ha. That’s it!” moment. I’m starving for an explanation of any kind. =|

@Celle “Sometimes there just is no explanation and a revision works, even when there doesn't seem to be a reason why the original didn't work.” Wow, did your reply ever speak to me! I sure hope this will be the case. ^_^

—————————————————-

The tingling, buzzing, numb, cold feet are maddening. Neuropathy or bad circulation?
Pre-op is Thursday. I’ll be ready w/ questions! There’s been so much conjecture and speculation amongst all four orthopedic doctors I’ve visited. Almost feel like my revision will be an exploratory surgery. O_o

I will have patella resurfaced this time. Verdict is out on whether it’s the source of pain (“soft tissue irritation from rubbing against metal”). He did say there was a slight overhang of my femoral component. Also mentioned he’d be opting for a smaller implant. Mentioned there’d be testing done at time of surgery. Can an infection hide and evade aspiration. The fact BOTH knees ache pretty much equally must offer some kind of clue, yes?

Elaine
 
Three more days (May 1) until my revision. =| No more job. No more vehicle. I’m told I’ll have a spinal block this time, instead of the general anesthesia I had with my first two TKRs. Sure hope I’ll be well sedated! No interest in hearing power tools. O_o No catheter. Yay! >_> The anxiety is mounting. My hands are rashy. Stress-induced eczema?! Still unsure if “the one I love” will be taking me to the hospital. They’ll call me Tuesday w/ time of surgery. I suppose I’ll schedule a ride w/ Uber or Lyft. *sigh*
Spent entire day tidying my place. I’m sore as all get out, but will obviously be in no condition to clean upon returning. Am told surgeon will take photos if I provide my iPhone. Not sure I’ll be able to handle seeing them, but they might come in handy should it be discovered my previous surgeon made an error, e.g. my “tibial component overhang.”
Sorry if there’s not much meat to this post.
Just feeling really anxious and overwhelmed.
I sympathize my fellow knee implant recipients. The whole ordeal is not for the faint of heart. I sure don’t want to go thru it again. =‘(
Elaine
 
Last edited:
Sending you strength and you will get through this! I to did 3 surgeries close together! Ask for deep sedation! Good luck and sending hugs..
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom