Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery

10 1/2 months since revision...

Hello again. I would love to tell you I’ve made great strides, but my condition has grown progressively worse. The inflammation around my knees and neuropathy from my knees down is maddening. No one seems to have an answer.

I still take Tramadol, Ultracet, or acetaminophen almost daily. I’m sure my liver and kidneys are less than appreciative. But I struggle to make it thru my work day as the pain increases with extended exertion.

It was suggested I take a turmeric/ginger/piperine supplement. Started taking it morning and night a few days ago. Honestly, I’m desperate and ready to try anything [aside from more surgery].

CBD alone hasn’t been helpful. And any amount of THC, while legal in OR, would be a big no-no as a medical courier.

Is there no way whatsoever to determine why the inflammation is so persistent?! I find it odd that both knees are nearly equal in discomfort. Still unable to do stairs properly. My revised knee (5/1/19) has little strength and inadequate flexion for the task.

Knee replacements have been positive and life-changing for so many. Sure wish I were one of the success stories. I sure miss my old life...hiking...swing dancing...pain-free shenanigans.

Prayers and suggestions welcomed.
Thanks, Elaine



12916F47-59BC-4B41-8BAF-57DE25D1EDD2.jpeg
 
I always wonder if a major surgery like these knee projects might set off reactions that take on a life of their own.

Have you addressed the inflammation with anyone besides your orthopedist? Could the inflammation be a response to other issues that were exacerbated by the surgery, itself? Is there a pain clinic nearby that might address the issue differently from a joint doctor?

There are so many rabbit holes you could get lost in by asking these questions, but sometimes it’s worthwhile.

I hope you find relief.
 
I saw you'd posted and hoped it was going to be better news. Sorry to hear things have deteriorated. Turmeric helps my inflamed tendon in my hip. It was a life changer for me. I hope it does the same for you.

I believe there's a lot of research going on into inflammatory conditions, cause and effect and possible links to other conditions. It's a minefield really. Hope things start to improve for you.
 
@Helizabug Yes, I believe you are right. I have addressed the inflammation with more than one non-orthopedic physician. My visit to a pain clinic was beyond my comprehension. He proposed a spinal implant that would disable my nerves. The battery would be outside of my body temporarily to evaluate effectiveness. Wires would hang out. I would be unable to bend over during this time. The next surgery would permanently install the battery. I would need to “charge” myself weekly. He likened himself to Dr. Frankenstein and me as... I kid you not! O_o
As I was only six months out from my revision, I told him I needed more recovery time before considering further surgery. Suffice it to say, I did not return.
I have an appointment with my family doctor again at the end of this month. I will ask for full blood work. My gut tells me something else is going on in my body to cause the inflammation and my vulnerable knee implants are taking the brunt of it. Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

@Lindylee I am happy the turmeric worked favorably for you. It’s clearly been a Godsend for many. I just finished my 90 capsule bottle manufactured by Zhou. It is highly rated on Amazon and contains ginger and piperine to increase bioavailability. I took three capsules day and night. Didn’t really notice a difference, but would have been satisfied with a placebo effect. *sigh*
Inflammation...minefield indeed!
Much appreciation for the well wishes. ^_^

[Bonesmart.org] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery
 
Last edited:
I thought I would say :wave: to you as I am on this slow train with you and can empathise.

I had my knee replaced first following a slip which subluxed my knee and a fall because of it days later which pushed my hip stem through my femur. As I could not exercise my new knee till a year later after my hip revision I have had a strenuous journey. My hip is wonderful but my knee gives me grief. I cannot walk without assistance. I have great ROM and full straightening and no swelling just a tight stiff knee when walking.

I am seeing my surgeon on the 23rd and hoping he can point me in the right direction.

My visit to a pain clinic was beyond my comprehension. He proposed a spinal implant that would disable my nerves. The battery would be outside of my body temporarily to evaluate effectiveness. Wires would hang out. I would be unable to bend over during this time. The next surgery would permanently install the battery. I would need to “charge” myself weekly. He likened himself to Dr. Frankenstein and me as... I kid you not!

:yikes::shocked::bolt:I have no words for this ... :flabber:

No supplements or oils, lotions or potions work for me either. I do eat Greek yogurt every day and take probiotic capsules to keep inflammation at bay.

Sending you best wishes for a solution soon.
[Bonesmart.org] Elaine’s slow-as-a-snail revision recovery Izzy xx
 
My visit to a pain clinic was beyond my comprehension. He proposed a spinal implant that would disable my nerves. The battery would be outside of my body temporarily to evaluate effectiveness. Wires would hang out. I would be unable to bend over during this time. The next surgery would permanently install the battery. I would need to “charge” myself weekly. He likened himself to Dr. Frankenstein and me as... I kid you not!
:yikes::shocked::bolt:I have no words for this ... :flabber:
Oh my, I agree with Izabel, that sounds awful, I would have run, also!
 
Sorry to hear the turmeric did nothing for you. It's never done anything for my knees, just the hip. That spinal implant you mentioned sounds like something a friend of mine had. Hers was implanted because she had terminal cancer that had spread to her spine and was topped up monthly as I recall. There's a world of difference between her situation and yours. I think you're wise to look at other options. I hope you find some answers and relief soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom