Guest viewing is limited

PKR Eileen's knee journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined the ODIC again today :( . Decided to do early voting since election day will be busy and wanted to minimize my waiting in line time. Awesome thing was they have curbside voting here for anyone with a handicap tag, so didn't have to get out of the car. But than since we were already out and needed some stuff we went to BJ'S warehouse and walmart.... bjs had an electric cart so was easier but walmarts were all dead :(. 6 hours out of the house and now all I want to do is elevate and ice. Not going to go anywhere for a few days i think. My mom is coming on Sunday so that will be a big help. This past week I haven't had any help and had to get the kids ready for school and to the bus than pick them up from busstop... looking forward to not having to do that for a little while.
I think the worst part is the fact that now my left knee is starting to get worse. Has locked up and been popping all day. Really hoping that the MRI in 2 weeks shows that it does not need a replacement but can go with the TTT for right now. But if it needs a replacement I am going to push for it because I just want it over with. This morning definitely proved to me how much pain is ties to depression. I over slept and woke up in severe pain. I felt like I was drowning in depression didn't want to move or do anything. My hubby brought me my pain meds and when they finally kicked in it was amazing how fast that feeling of complete depression and lack of desire to do anything disappeared.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
So have a question for everyone..
I have noticed over the past week since my staples were removed that if I have something laying on top of my knee or standing and leaning against something like a counter, I cannot "feel" it. I have that complete number sensation. I know something is touching it so I can "feel" it bc my brain is registering it but it's number like when the nerve block was working in could "feel" my leg but not feel it. (Hoping this makes sense.) Has anyone else had this happen? Is this something I should talk to my OS about?

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I have large areas of numbness due to two surgeries. It feels so weird when shaving! I often miss those areas while shaving due to the numbness. It will improve in time.
 
Talk to your doc about pain meds. They gave me Oxy and Percocet immediately post op and nothing touched my pain. Finally tried Dilaudid (that was a trip, but only for 2 weeks) and it made a world of difference. Then on to Percocet for a month. I felt like a different person. I would still be sitting in my chair if I hadn't gotten my pain under control from the start. I still take a low dose of Trammadol for the pain I have in my new bad knee because I cannot take NSAIDS. My goal is to stop taking that, but fear it may not happen until I have my right knee done.

LTKR 4/12/16
 
I believe that there will be some area of numbness anyway. I still have a small patch on my knee - exactly as you describe your sensations.
 
Started crying happy tears at pt today. I was able to make a full rotation on the standing bike for the first time! Extension is 3 ND rom is 86. They aren't happy with rom but I am and won't let them force it

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Congratulations on the full rotation on the bike. :yes!: :yay:

Try not to worry about the numbers. There's plenty of time for your ROM to improve.
 
Actually to get a full rotation on the bike means that you are going in the right direction! You are getting there! The ROM will come.
 
Started crying happy tears at pt today. I was able to make a full rotation on the standing bike for the first time! Extension is 3 ND rom is 86. They aren't happy with rom but I am and won't let them force it
Congratulations!!! That is awesome!! You are making progress---these little victories all add up to a full recovery.

I am sorry that they are not happy; they haven't figured out that the schedule set up for recovery is not theirs but your knee's! You are moving forward!!
 
Congrats! I found riding a stationary bike very helpful in loosening up my knee. Hope you have many more go rounds!
 
Now that things are going much better for you, would you like to change your thread title?
If you would, just tell us what you'd like and we'll change it for you.
You can leave it as it is now if you prefer to do that.
 
@Celle, actually was thinking about that the other day :) if it can be changed yes please :).
Eileen's knee journey.
Thank you all for your support! I don't know that I would have gotten thru the first 3 weeks with my sanity without this forum lol.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I've changed your thread title for you. :friends:
 
Thank you @Celle

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
So PT today was not fun. Had a new PT and she read my file wrong. I kept saying no that is too much, no that hurts, no, no, no. She started to get mad at me and told me i should be so much further at 3 months postop..... I looked at her and simply said, I'm 4 WEEKS post op tomorrow... needless to say she stopped giving me any exercises and I left early. She still said I should have better ROM than 86 (on Monday didn't measure today) but I told her my OS was happy with it and his is the opinion that matters most to me.
I get that PT'S are busy and sometimes have two patients at a time but read my file before you start my appointment.
On a good note ingot 7 minutes of full rotation on the bike today :) and I got to.go to my kids school for their Veterans Day parade :)

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
@suppersnapper, I see a new one each visit. Monday is my last treatment and Tuesday is reevaluation. Since I'm being seen on post I am going to ask for a referral to off post pt. There is one here that is known for listening to the patients and not pushing them past their limits and they have water pt which has always been better for me. I am going to make sure that at my evaluation I say something about what happened today bc she is only a PTA and she needs to be taught some more.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I found it very difficult to have a different PT or PTA every visit. If you are going to continue with therapy it would be better to have 1 or 2 people so that they can really get to know you and your knee.
 
Are you able to make appointments by requesting a PT? I think it's important for them to know you and your knee. My group made appointments by therapist.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom