PKR Eileen's knee journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You shouldn't take any of the NSAIDS while you're taking blood thinners. That's because NSAIDS can also increase your tendency to bleed.

100.4 isn't too bad. If it gets any higher, you should probably call someone. Aren't soldiers allowed to get sick except during office hours? I hope there is some sort of emergency cover for weekends.
 
@hacker0721 wow wow wow!!! I am headed to surgery on 11/1 and this is so so so scary!!! I am so sorry you are having such issues. I will be monitoring your progress as much as possible. And praying for you tomorrow at my church!!!
 
@tiptonits,
Good luck with your surgery. Yes it is scary, but this group of amazing people helps to ease the fears. I'll admit I am pretty concerned about my fever but it has not risen any and having others who have been thru this before is very helpful. Just remember the bonesmart mantras, they have been very helpful and there are never wrong questions. This forum has become my main resource when the post op blues and anxiety becomes overwhelming. Read through some of the other recovery threads and remember the reasons for the surgery. Good luck and I will be praying for you as well. I will look for your recovery thread after the 1st.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
@Celle, thank you! I was pretty sure nsaids were a no go but figured I would ask. There is a on call nurse line that military can call but they can't give any advise except go to er, go to urgent care, or call your primary on Monday morning.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
You are 4 years younger than my twin daughters. There must have been a lot of conversations before you found a doctor that would give you a new knee. I also want to ask if you feel (or any of the moderators feel) that maybe some of your pain is due to the fact that you were not on either enough pain meds OR maybe the wrong pain meds? I have never had a knee replaced, but I have had my femur cut in half and a HUGE wedge of bone removed, with a steel plate and 8 screws installed. I had very little discomfort - ever. The ice machine was INVALUABLE. I have it right by me right now ready for my return home. (I will not be using the compression wraps any more than I have to - I hate that thing!!! But I will do it as much as they require me to. I do not want any blood clots.) But I also had great pain meds. And if I needed them changed - they would have been changed. I plan on asking for some strong ones for the first 2 weeks - until I go to my first post op appt. After hearing about what you are enduring - I am planning ahead. I am asking for prayer for you this morning - and trust me - when a bunch of gray hairs pray for you - you get results!!! We are a praying church and we LOVE GOD!!! I will check in on you when I get home. You take care of yourself.
 
You are 4 years younger than my twin daughters. There must have been a lot of conversations before you found a doctor that would give you a new knee

@tiptonits, many years and many doctors. I orignially injured my knee when I was 10 in a skiing accident. When I was 17 they had to do a bone graph. When i was 20 I had a doctor tell me I would definately need a replacement at some point but because of my age I would find it hard to find a doctor. Over the past 5 years I have been to many orthos and had more scans than i can count. Every doctor agreed that I needed this surgery but not one of them would contemplate doing it. I was told to just grin and bear it. I tried PT, Synvisc 1 shots, and cortisone shots. Synvisc worked for a little bit but after a while it stopped wotking. I got extremly lucky find my OS who looked at my knee and not my age. I thanked him again at my postop last week and he said it is his job to fix knees, not decide if someone is to young to have that problem.
As far as meds, one of my problems at the begining was that I had to take bendryl with the percs because they make me itch like crazy. The benedryl would knock me out and i would sleep thru my next dose and was playing catch up with my pain. Once he swtiched me to the norco the pain became more tolerable, but I agree, having the right meds is a very important aspect to recovery. Your other surgery sounds alot like what my OS is going to do on my other knee to try and put off any replacements in that knee for a few years.
I am asking for prayer for you this morning - and trust me - when a bunch of gray hairs pray for you - you get results!!! We are a praying church and we LOVE GOD!!! I will check in on you when I get home.
I really appreciate the prayers! I know that they are helping me get thru the post op blues and the cabin fever of not being able to go anywhere.
 
We prayed for you @hacker0721 !!!! And you will go on our prayer list this week for our bulletins. I hope that this week is a turning point for you and the pain is going to diminish and you are going to be walking all over and able to get out of the house even if it is up and down the driveway!!! This is not a journey for the faint of heart - so kiss them blues good bye and find something you like doing that doesn't take much energy and go do it!!! You got this kid!!!
 
Had 3rd pt today. Therapist was very good about stopping when I said to stop. Not in any excess pain from PT:). I did call my OS with concerns of fever popping up to 101 yesterday and a small amount of drainage and bleeding from incision. He wants to see me on Thursday just to make sure it's not something to worry about. Was so happy today because I was able to get in and out of the shower by myself and lift my leg without help, only a few inches but it's improvement! Extension without forcing it is at 5 and ROM is at 80! Feeling much better finally seeing some progress, just have to keep reminding myself that slow and steady wins the race and not to over do it now that I am starting to recover.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
When you start to feel a bit better, go back to the activity progression chart to remind yourself what you can expect to be able to do. I'm happy you're seeing progress! That's a great feeling!


For TKRs.

Activities of Daily Living are assessed in hospital as a means of assessing your fitness to be discharged home. Your domestic circumstances will be taken into account as in if you are living alone, etc.

ADLs include:
~ Personal hygiene and grooming
~ Dressing and undressing
~ Functional transfers, e.g. Getting out of bed
~ Voluntarily controlling bladder and bowel elimination
~ Ambulation (Walking or using a wheelchair)
~ Housework
~ Meal Preparation
~ Care of pets
~ Meal preparation and cleanup

Walking and other activity
Walking is about the best exercise you can do but again, you need to moderate your time and distance.
Always use your walker, crutches or canes as appropriate, only moving from one to the other as you gain confidence.
Don't be despondent if you have to go back once in a while in the early days.

Week 1
Minimal PT, just gentle heel slides and a 2-3 leg lifts before you get out of bed in the morning Heel slides and how to do them
Walking around the house - trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Be up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it
A 5-6 minute walk every 3-4 hours is plenty

Week 2 -
add to previous
Start on a plan of walks around the house 3-4 times a day for about 5 minutes but don't
a) get obsessive about it
b) get into too much pain and
c) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.


Week 3 -
add to previous
Lengthen the walks to about 5-10 minutes as before
Activity: prepare yourself a small meal or a snack


Weeks 4 and 5 - add to previous
Increase walks to out in the garden or street; to 20mins or longer if you feel up to it.

Additionally activity:
Gather a little bit of laundry, or put it in the machine OR take it out but not all of it
Now you can do a little dusting and tidying; do a little meal prep (for yourself not the entire family!)

Weeks 6 and onward
- add to previous
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: a very little ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after. Wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, NOT you!!

Week 10 add to previous
Bed making and changing sheets, cleaning bedrooms etc., can wait now by which time, all things being well, you should pretty much start getting back to normal but don't rush it. If you do and you start getting pain and stiffness in your knee, that's a sign your knee doesn't appreciate what you're doing, that you're rushing ahead too fast. Slow down, right down, and start again. This stage might last until week 14 or even 16 but if it takes a even longer, don''t worry about it.
 
Seeing my OS tomorrow afternoon for my concerns off drainage from my incision. I have been keeping a bandaid on it past few days to keep anything from getting into it. Not happy with how it looks though. Was hoping for some advice from anyone who has had an infection or has seen one.
[Bonesmart.org] Eileen's knee journey.


I am also going to be talking to him about a different pain medication for nighttime. The Norco is working perfectly during the day but I have finally been sleeping thru the night and therefore sleeping thru alarms for pain medication. The mornings have been extremely painful. I had a oxycotin left and took it before bed and woke up pain free this morning. I really don't want to go back on oxycotin bc I really hate how it makes me feel but if it's just for nighttime I believe it will be worth it.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
That looks sore. I think you are right to see your OS. I hope you have good news tomorrow.
 
@SupperSnapper, very sore :( and I have to change the bandaid every few hours because of oozing and sometimes blood. Mostly after bending the knee.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
It can't hurt to see the OS, IMO. While I did have an infection, my incision was perfectly closed, it seeped through a closed incision.
 
Saw my OS today. He said he thinks the spot on my knee is possibly a reaction to the disolvable sutures but is not infected. This makes sense to me because when I had my tarsal tunnel release my body rejected the disolvable sutures and I was constantly finding them falling out of my ankle....that was a fun sight. He was glad I called and can in though bc he believes communication is needed to gain the best recovery. He wants me to watch it and if it gets worse to come back in. He is very happy with my progress and I am currently waiting at the pharmacy to get more oxycotin... I didn't want to use it anymore but I need something for the nighttime so that I am not chasing the pain every morning and he agrees.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
@hacker0721 That is good news and you must feel so relieved and happy with your progress. Let's hope your knee settles quickly. Your OS sounds very caring and helpful too.
 
@SupperSnapper, very relieved. I know I got lucky finding my OS especially in a military facility. He has been amazing. MRI ordered for my left knee on the 14th and at my next appointment on the 28th we will discuss the results. Scared but excited to get second knee worked on to be able to be pain free for once... honestly I don't know what I'll do with myself being pain free lol not something I've known since I was 10.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I'm glad to hear that your visit with your OS has gone so well. He sounds like he really is a very caring doctor.
 
I'm sorry you have had to live with pain since age 10 :flabber:
Hoping for better days ahead for you, hang in there :console2:
 
@Majella, honestly it became normal for me... after a while popping Tylenol and aleve was a daily thing and I only thought about it when I had flare ups, the weather was bad, or I fell. The last few years it has gotten much more apprent bc I could no longer pop Tylenol bc I got diagnosed with nafld. Now that I have had the PKR I can tell the difference and it is amazing.
@newlybionic, he really is very caring, he is also young which is why I believe he did not have the belief that I am too young for a replacement.


Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
On a side note took the oxycotin for first time in over a week and wow I forgot how strong this stuff is. Hopefully it will solve the issue of waking up in severe pain in the morning. I am enjoying sleeping thru the night but if this doesn't work I will go back to setting alarms and hoping I wake up to them.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom