Guest viewing is limited

PKR Eileen's knee journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to OS. He said if it gets worse he will do an x-ray but for the time being I am not to do any PT for 1-2 weeks untill pain and swelling has decreased.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I hope after a few weeks the pain and swelling decreases.
 
MRI of my left knee came back, still have to wait till the 28th to discuss it with my OS but it shows damage I'm just not sure how bad it is and what he is going to want to do.

My mri:
PATELLOFEMORAL COMPARTMENT: The quadriceps tendon demonstrates a focal area of T1 and T2 hyperintensity along the lateral aspect of the tendon. The etiology is uncertain, but the differential may include post traumatic changes and/or postsurgical changes. Recommend clinical correlation The patella tendon is intact. The patellofemoral joint space is maintained. The patellofemoral articular cartilage demonstrates patella articular cartilage fraying and signal changes suggestive a chondromalacia.
Small amount joint fluid is noted.

Looking forward to getting a plan in place and possibly not being in pain everyday [emoji3]


Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I'm going to tag @Josephine for her assessment of the MRI report.
I hope your surgeon comes up with a plan for you.
 
The patellofemoral articular cartilage demonstrates patella articular cartilage fraying and signal changes suggestive a chondromalacia.
Small amount joint fluid is noted.
To be honest I don't really do MRI scan reports. But I read this from yours and it tells me you have some cartilage damage issues called chondromalacia. This is a condition where the cartilage on the undersurface of the patella (kneecap) deteriorates and softens.

The patellofemoral articular cartilage demonstrates patella articular cartilage fraying
Patients with chondromalacia patella frequently have abnormal patellar "tracking" toward the lateral (outer) side of the femur. This slightly off-kilter pathway allows the undersurface of the patella to grate along the femur, causing chronic inflammation and pain. Certain individuals are predisposed to develop chondromalacia patella: females, knock-kneed or flat-footed runners, or those with an unusually shaped patella undersurface.
 
So a few firsts this week. Had my first long road trip, 6 hours to my mom's house. My knee handled that pretty well but I wasn't driving. Today I helped make pies and dinner.... that was definitely too much today. I probably should have taken more breaks today since I am now laid up for the night. All in all though it has been a wonderful day.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Try to rest up as much as you can. And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Hopefully you can take it easy tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Had my 6 week post op today and still very happy with my OS :) . He is very happy with my progress and not happy with my former PT. He said what they did in forcing my knee is manipulation and he only allows that with his patients as MUA and only if after 3 or 4 months there has been no progress in extension and rom. He refilled both pain pills and gave me 500 mg aleve since I can't take any more Tylenol. He wants me to start using the aleve more often than pain pills but recognizes that at night I need something stronger to make it through the night and that I will still have bad pain days.

I also got cleared to drive yay! Was nervous to get behind the wheel again but as soon as I did it was like riding a bike. I know I won't be going many places yet but it is nice to know that I CAN! We talked about my left knee MRI and it is not enough damage to need a PKR yet and the alignment isn't bad enough where a tibial osteotomy will help.

He wants me to use my new PT to work on the quad strength in that leg as well and said his homework between now and my next appointment in 6 weeks is to talk to his colleagues and do research on what we can do for that knee since I reacted badly to cortisone shots and the synvisc doesn't work any more. Felt more of my depression fall away at this appointment and can see the light at the end the tunnel.

Right knee patellofemoral arthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Happy to hear you had a good appointment. Driving again is awesome!
 
I'm happy to hear that your appt with your OS has gone so well. Maybe @Josephine might have an idea of what could be tried other than Synvisc or cortisone on your left knee to help it along until your OS feels it's time for a replacement.
 
his homework between now and my next appointment in 6 weeks is to talk to his colleagues and do research on what we can do for that knee since I reacted badly to cortisone shots and the synvisc doesn't work any more.
I would have thought this was a signal that replacement is more than due. What's the hold-up?

Try this and assess your quality of life for yourself
 

Attachments

Glad to hear that things are improving and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Take it easy and slow and you should continue to improve. Being able to drive again certainly lifts the spirits too
Best wishes
 
So new sensation today.. with the swelling being pretty much gone I noticed today that I can "feel" the difference in my knee, almost feels like a joint hinge. Doesn't hurt but feels strange and can tell it's not my real knee cap. Has anyone else felt this?

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Doesn't hurt but feels strange and can tell it's not my real knee cap.
It is still your own kneecap. It just has a plastic button at the back of it, instead of the worn cartilage you had before.

Eventually, you'll get used to the different feeling and you'll stop noticing it.
 
I felt the same way for several months but as I'm farther away from my surgery the knee feels more like my own.
 
Ty Celle and newlybionic!
New concern and hoping it's nothing. I know from past surgeries that I tend to reject disolvable sutures and my OS pulled one on Monday that was truncated by my incision. Every surgery I've had I have spit alot of them but always before incision was healed or it would cause my incision not to seal completly. Well on Monday my OS was very happy bc my incision is completely healed. Tonight I noticed some blood and push coming from my incision in a few spots. I cleaned it off and looked a little closer and the sutures are pushing thru the closed incision... I have spit 5 more thru my scar and now have slight seepage and I can see quite a few more spots where sutures are trying to push thru, they look like little white heads under the skin. Is this normal for them to push thru a healed scar or do I need to call my OS ?

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
You can't go wrong by giving your OS a call and ask his advice. In the meantime keep it clean and dry.
 
@newlybionic, thank you. I did not like seeing any pus or blood coming from it, freaked me out a little until I saw the sutures but still not liking it. I am going to call his nurse in the am. I put a gauze wrap on it for the night since I don't want anything getting in.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I think it would be a good idea to let your surgeon have a look at your incision. I'm not very happy about the pus. It may be minor, but he does need to know what's going on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom