PKR Eileen's knee journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started having nerve pain and foot spasms today. I know it's all a part of the healing process. The part that is concerning me is I am having severe pain at the top of my thigh. It is a deep pain and is bad enough to wake me up crying. Has anyone had this type of pain? Is it something I need to be concerned about?

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016


I had that deep thigh pain but not from my tkr, it was from my thr 2 years ago. it comes from certain muscles that were cut or traumatized during surgery. I cant say for sure, but my belief it is from the skill of the surgeon. I felt my OS for my knee was far superior to my knee OS. That deep bring me to tears pain subsided, but it was maybe about a month. I hope your goes away soon. It is terrible.
 
Had my first post-op today and feel much better about things. Pt yesterday made me feel like I was behind where I needed to be. My OS is very happy with where I am. Took staples out, he said my incision is sealed and that that spot was a fracture blister but since it has already drained on its own he is not worried about it but we will keep a close eye on it and if it starts draining at all to call him and come in. He was happy with my extension and said go to pt but if something hurts or causes pain that lasts hours after pt I need to not be doing it yet. Refilled my norco and told me if it is not cutting it call him and he will prescribe me something stronger, that I will most likely need meds for at least 2 months and not to let myself be in pain. He also reminded me that while I didn't not get a TKR, the incision he made is the exact same as if I'd had one and that I need to let the soft tissue heal. I'm many ways it felt like I was reading the BS mantras in his office:)
He ordered an MRI of my left knee and said at 3 months postop we would start discussing if I need another PKR or if a TTT will fix that knee for now.
On a weird note. He did say that while in surgery he saw something that he has never seen before. Apparently my knee tried to fix itself and create a fibrous layer over half of my kneecap... he said that he got confused because at first look my knee did not reflect the damage that was seen on the mri bc of that layer but after scrapping it with a knife he knew what it was. Said it was strange but looked like body was attempting to repair cartilage even though it cannot.


Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I'm happy that your OS has prescribed you the meds you need and has re-assured you about your incision. Listen to your knee and you will get better every day.
 
I'm glad your first post-op visit went so well. Your surgeon has a sensible approach to recovery.

Don't let your PT worry you about the ROM (Range of Motion) numbers - PTs seem to get a bit obsessive about the numbers, but there's no reason why you should. Since ROM can continue to improve for at least a year, there's no need to rush to get it.

I thought it was fracture blisters on your incision. Glad you surgeon did, too.
 
Pt yesterday made me feel like I was behind where I needed to be.
I concur---The PT works for you, not the other way around. Your surgical knee sets the schedule for your recovery, not the PT---they can be quite a quantitative lot, but simply ignore them.

Recovery can take longer than we would like it to, and ROM can be gained well after a year post-op.
He was happy with my extension and said go to pt but if something hurts or causes pain that lasts hours after pt I need to not be doing it yet.
Excellent point made by your OS---do not let your PT bully you---and take every exercise or stretch to the point of discomfort only. Again, remember that your PT works for you, and do not let them bully you---you draw that line in the sand and do not let them cross it.
[Bonesmart.org] Eileen's knee journey.
 
Quick question. I know a low grade fever is not always a bad thing and can be due to the stress of having had surgery but how long before a low grade is something I should be concerned about? Been running between 99.5 and 99.9 but dropping back into normal ranges since surgery. Today hit the 100 mark. I'm concerned bc I only get fevers when need meds, normally when I hit 99.1 I call pcp and they run a strep test and 95% of the time it's positive so low grade had always been my warning sign. Trying not to worry about having one but when you don't do much but read or watch TV with the little exercise in between your mind tends to grab on and worry lol.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Sounds like you have a great OS! I believe it's normal to have a slight fever after TKR surgery. If it runs much higher you can give your OS a call. Many have posted about having chills and sweats after surgery.
 
I ran a slight fever with the chills and sweats for a few days. I would just keep a check on it and if it gets higher or doesn't go away in a few days I would call the doctor.
 
Thank you @KarrieB and @Ronsgirl :) helps to have other voices to keep worry at bay.
Had 2nd pt today and multiple times said no and pt moved on to different exercise. Thankfully they are listening to me. One of the ones I said no to I didn't say nc of pain but bc it caused my incision to start oozing. Not sure if that is normal but was first time it's oozed since day 3 postop and do not want to cause any issues with healing incision. I do not think I would have had the confidence to say no without having found BS and reading different recovery threads. Very grateful for all of you, since I am so young having this is have noone else to help navigate thru this. So again thank you all.

Also @zzevi , you asked for me to post a picture after staples came out, I was able to get one before they put the steri strips on. Here it is:
[Bonesmart.org] Eileen's knee journey.

It did bleed a bit after staples were taken out .

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Please please be careful, your wound/incision looks like mine did after staple removal, I think the additional pressure put on the incision along with my pocket of fluid directly to the side where there was bleeding after staple removal lead to my incision opening back up. ( plus I went for p/t following staple removal, had to have my ted stockings removed and a dressing applied as I was bleeding pretty good, was still on warfarin at that point, looking back I should have known better, should have skipped p/t that day and let it heal.)
By no means do I mean to scare you, just let it heal tho, with out a lot of extra pushing at this point for additional ROM. I healed well at the top of my incision and bottom, but at the most stressed point of the knee is where it stayed open. ( the reason I asked for photo's as even with the staples in, thought yours looked like mine, if I can help anyone not go thur what I just got done with, I've been helpful. Also if there is any opening at all, as much as air is good for healing, going out in public, or p/t cover your incision in that area, I tried to follow directions for letting it have air, even when I went to p/t and I think that is where I may have picked up my infections. When cultured by wound care clinic, my incision/wound had 2 types of infection in it. Lucky 10 days of antibotics was all that was needed. But that 10 days helped it on the path to start the healing process again.) Telling you way more than you need to know as your not where I was, BUT I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU HAVE THOSE ISSUES EITHER.
 
Maybe I am being overly cautious, when reading your post I see your OS said this was some sort of blister, maybe all is ok and the incision is more closed than what I am thinking I am seeing. The word drainage also perks up my ears. But again just stay observant, don't let any thing you think is out of the norm go to long, listen to your gut feelings, I turned mine off. Which was wrong, wrong, wrong.
But again, don't let anyone push you and put extra stress on that incision at this pt. Also if your temp goes up, I don't think it would hurt to call in. I didn't have any sweats or chills when I came home, had a heck of a time in recovery tho, broke out in such a sweat that all the sticky pads to check vitals wouldn't stay on, wasn't really out, out at this pt, but not really awake and it was like a panic attack.........very weird.
 
@zzevi thank you and I really appreciate your response. I read thru your recovery thread a few days after my surgery and am so glad that your wound had finally closed and infection was taken care of. My OS believes it was a fracture blister but he did say if I have excessive drainage I need to call him asap. Me personally I would prefer someone be over cautious in their advise rather than assuming everything is good :) so thank you! When it started oozing today I just told pt I wasn't doing that exercise anymore because I want not taking the risk.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Fracture blisters can happen after some knee replacements. They're associated with the swelling. We've recently had a couple of people with them.
Usually, they don't cause any problems, but if they burst they should be covered with a sterile dressing and you should let your surgeon know.
It looks as if yours have settled down, @hacker0721 , so that's good.

It's still very early in your recovery, so it really doesn't matter if you don't do any exercises yet. Just the activities of daily living are enough exercise for your knee.
My surgeon does not allow any formal PT for the first month after a knee replacement. He says that your knee needs that time, to begin its journey of healing.
 
That's when my drainage happened most of the time after working the knee either on my own or p/t with pushing it. Also with that drainage watch for a odor, mine developed a odor which I did go to the O.S. for but he felt it was nothing to be alarmed about. Looking back that may have been when the infection started moving in. Because it had been open for about 4 wks prior to me noticing the odor, to me the odor was noticeable, stayed that way till I finally found out I did have a infection in it, sometimes more of a odor than others. I found it embarassing. I'll keep watching your posting to see how your doing.
 
@Celle I will keep that in mind. I told them today that I was only going to do what I was comfortable with. They didn't know what to say lol. They aren't used to patients saying anything bc it is a military facility, but I'm a civilian so.
@zzevi, I will definitely keep an eye on it, thank you.


Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Ouch! That looks painful and very susceptible to infection. I feel for you. Listen to the pros here and do be mindful, please. We are here for you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I think it will scab over and heal OK.
 
So question for everyone. Because of my liver issues my GI said I am OK to take the pain meds the OS gave me but not to take any supplemental Tylenol. Fever is at 100.9, OS said over 101.4 come in. Am I able to take aleve or another nsaid while on lovenox blood thinners?? Can't call doc bc it's a weekend and military hours.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom