Guest viewing is limited

PKR Eileen's knee journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we're here for you! We've been there and I don't think non-kneesies can ever really know the extent of what we go thru.




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Love this site!!!! Just had THR and if it weren't for all the advice I have received by all the posts, my recovery wouldn't be far less comfortable.

Eileen, while my surgery is much different from your TNR- please follow the B/S Mantra's so important. Read them daily... lastly, I can't stress the importance of ICE, ICE, ICE. Get multiple gel packs and keep rotating them. Ice is a natural pain killer and it will help more than you know.

Stay strong!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Ice is my best friend :) doctor just called and new script is in. So first outing ... have to go on post so styling in car so mom can get on post than she will get my meds. Getting in car was not fun...

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Sigh. All the struggles I am finding I am having are all on me... I again somehow missed my 12 hour oxycotin dose... had to deal with my son's school and the time passed than trying to figure out why I could not get pain under control. thankfully I had the Norco that my OS has switched me to so it was not as bad as not taking anything but I have got to figure out a better way to make sure this doesn't happen again....[emoji54]

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Have you tried setting an alarm to remind you about your medications? I used to do that. I also wrote myself a little chart each day that said when each dose was due. As I took that dose, I ticked it on the chart and set my alarm for the next due dose.

Are you resting enough? Unless you have a phone by your bed or wherever you rest, anything that is not an emergency should wait. Let the school know that you are recovering from major surgery and ask them to defer anything that is not an emergency. If you take your medications properly, your will not be able to think clearly enough to make important decisions at the moment.
 
Just a point, don't elevate with your leg straight as it really stretches the leg in the wrong way. It's perfectly ok to have a slight bend in it and your knee won't complain. These early days are the worst but honestly you will soon be feeling much better :)
 
@Celle
I had an alarm set but hadn't gotten the Norco yet so was still on percs with benadryl which knocks me out. I'm hoping that I'll wake to the alarms now that not needing to the benadryl with every dose. The school is aware that I had a pkr but this was not a situation that could be deferred unfortunately. Thankfully my husband was only 20 mins away and he went to the school but I was on phone and forgot the time [emoji54]. My mil is here now so I should be able to not have to deal with any of that until she has to leave at beginning of November.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
@suppersnapper
I actually just found most comfortable position which is surprising to me... lol laying on my side with knee on couch slightly bent, a small throw pillow behind it being supported by my good leg. When I have it up at all the pain is twice as bad.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
So glad you found a comfy position. It gets better, and easier, I promise. Hugs to you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
So was looking at my knee tonight and was amused by the apparent bruising pattern... looks very strange... almost looks like someone with large hands smacked it lol. (The faded scar is from when I had my OATS bone graph at age 17. ) .
[Bonesmart.org] Eileen's knee journey.
 
The bruising will turn all different colors as it finally fades but it does like like someone got you with a bear print! Lol
 
Just had a YES this is worth it moment! Was looking for remote for tv which had been put on other side of the living room. I got up to get it and in a momment of not remembering I did not grab my crutches and was half way across the room before I realized that I was walking without my knee giving out on me! Granted, now I am in alot of pain because it was too much too fast but knowing that my knee has stability again and that I can do it gave me a feeling of accomplishment and hope :) My 5 year old saw me and she got excited and woke her brother up saying look Mommies walking lol. :)
 
@hacker0721 I think you will be continue to be surprised with your new knee's strength. I was out walking last week and over here we have stiles between fields - like very large stone steps to climb over into a new field. The drop from the last stile to the ground on one was about 20" and there was a whole gang of people walking behind me and waiting behind me so I jumped down! Now 20" doesn't sound like a big deal but it was for me. It was fine, my knee did not complain and was good the next day too. It surprised me anyway. It's two years since my surgery but my knee is amazing! At 65 who knows what I can do?

Sending you lots of good wishes from the UK
 
@SupperSnapper
That's awesome! I remember visiting family in Ireland as a kid and playing on stiles :) I would be afraid to jump down [emoji5] I am so happy that I know that my knee is more stable after last night but won't be walking without assistance of crutches or walker anytime soon because the rest of the night was torture lol.i have been doing little heel slides and flexing my ankle a lot which seems to be helping but try anything else and knee says no. I am 4 days post op and have found certain things a little eaiser. I still have to use both hands to lift my leg into the couch but 2 days ago it killed just to do that and today I barely feel anything. I'll take the little victories. My 5 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son keep trying to help me and it's hard to tell them no but as much as they want to help they end up in the way more often lol. Yesterday my daughter wanted to help me walk so rested her hands on my waist from behind me. Was afraid she would make me lode my balance. Going to have a chat with them tonight about what will be helpful and what isn't. I am so glad I stumbled on this site before surgery because knowing I'm not alone in this long painful journey and seeing others reach points where they can say it was worth it is keeping me from falling into the post op blues. [emoji4]

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
@hacker0721 Your recovery will take time and really you can't rush it but already after only 4 days you can see small improvements. After about a month you will feel much better but it is a bit slow at first. It must be hard with young children. I thought of my recovery as money in the bank, take it easy now, keep the exercise down, ice and ice again and rest as much as you can and it will pay off in the coming months.
You are quite right about using aids. Even later when you start going out, the cane does let other know that you need a bit of help and also will give you confidence.
You sound as if you are doing well so far.
 
Am hoping the new pain meds are helping you get through this with less pain now.. thinking of you!
 
@BBCG
So far Norco is working and no insane itching with it :) pain is more bearable worst at night.
Got phone call from PT to schedule 1st appointment which is next wensday. Not going to let them do anything that causes severe pain.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Don't let them do anything that causes pain at all. Just discomfort is good enough x
 
Good! Am so glad the Norco works for you.. My pain was also worse at night, but that was partly due to the muscle spasms and nervy twitchy stuff that happened, too. That continued for quite a while.
Also glad you don't need to see PT for a week, but where I am, most are pretty insistent that they get your ROM where they want it pretty quick. (Say, maybe you can practice being firm with the PT not to push you past what is comfortable with your kiddos? They could pretend they're the PT?! But, no; best to wait and see what they are like.) Some are understanding and don't push! Watching your recovery could really be beneficial for your youngsters, too. Sometimes, a family member's experience is why people go in to medicine or PT, etc! Hope your week gets better and better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom