Guest viewing is limited

THR Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorothy,

As I'm sure you've read here too many times, LLD is something that usually takes care of itself. I won't pretend it isn't kind of shocking when we first encounter it, but give things a few months to settle and I am willing to bet that it gets absorbed...(the DIFFERNCE that is...not your new hip :happydance:)

Z
 
My follow up appointment went very well. The PA examined my legs and she said my pelvis was even and my ankles were even, so she didn't see what the PT was seeing the other day when she noticed the leg length thing. From everything the PA did, she thinks my legs are even. She said they rarely have any leg length issues that they don't even bother measure at the follow up appointments.

X-rays look good and I am to return 8/6 for the next f/u. Very busy day and boy am I tired. Amazing how this fatigue thing works after surgery.

Dorothy
 
Glad your follow up went well, Dorothy. Your body is definitely telling you it wants rest, rest and more rest and you, I know, have the wisdom to "go with it". So good to hear you walked out to the barn and saw your horses. I have never been around horses but imagine they are like giant "doggies" with personalities and what not? Take care.
 
Dorothy,
I'm so glad to hear about the LLD! I love that your surgeon is so confident they don't even measure at the follow-up! My surgeon is the same way. You have to love these confident guys! Wow, making it out to the horses is a huge accomplishment especially with this heat wave. Take it easy and don't push it, you know the routine:) Have a happy and restful 4th of July!
Dee
 
Thanks! The horse care has become part of my normal routine. It's nice that it's summer and pretty easy so I can do it. I love doing something useful at this time when I otherwise feel like an invalid, hobbling around with a walker.

Every morning I take a pain pill and then I walk out to the horses. I top off the water (using a hose), put their fly masks on, give them a treat, spray them with fly spray, and chat with them a bit. Then I go to my chair in the shade and sip on my iced tea I bring with me in my walker bag. My dogs are with me too, of course. We hang out there and I rest a while, and then make my way back to the house. Then I rest until I feel like doing something again.

I then do some hip exercises. Rest some more and maybe take a nap. Then I do a little housework--but nothing major.

In the early evening, I make the trek back out to the barn and take off the fly masks, hang with the horses for a while, then go back to my chair and rest before making the trip back to the house. I might play some ball with the dogs while in my chair if they feel up to it. It's been kind of hot here, so they tend to get their fill of running around just yelling at the horses along the fenceline--they think they are helping me keep order at the barn, lol.

It's a really good workout pushing the walker through the yard with the grass and bumps. I often have to pick it up with each step. When I went to my Dr visit yesterday, I was amazed how easy it was to walk through their halls with no bumps and geographical hazards to contend with, ha ha.

All in all the hip feels good. My low back is bothering me on that side, and I think that's causing even more problem than the hip. Unfortuately, the stretches I was previously doing for that can't be done without breaking my hip restrictions, so I'm trying a bunch of "legal" stretches that might target the area. I'm also using a small heating pad on the back, which helps relax the offending muscle.

All in all, I feel like I'm doing well and am making good progress. It does help having gone through it before because I don't tend to worry as much about dislocation, stepping wrong, things like that. I just go with the flow more than last time. I also know more about how important it is to pace myself so I can do things I want to do without overloading my body so that it sets me back. Very important lesson learned last go round.

And,although I have a laptop and doing some computer things is easier, typing is still painful to my low back. So, I don't get to type as much on other threads as I would like. I think about you all preparing for your surgeries or going through recovery all the time.

Dorothy
 
Dorothy,

Hang in there, as you well know it's all part of the healing and recovery. We love to hear from you when you feel up to it and we know how much you care about all of us.

Sounds like you have a wonderful "routine" worked out for yourself, doggies and horses. Day by day, bit by bit, you will get there. Hope you had an enjoyable 4th. And yes, this weather is HOT!

Take care, sending you love and hugs.
 
What a great update, Dorothy. You're doing so well. It's really nice to have something like your horses and dogs that give you incentive to get exercise above and beyond those PT things. And that's so much more fun and easier to incorporate in your day. I like your routine. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Dorothy,

It certainly sounds like you are coming along nicely with your descriptions of the trips out to tend to the horses & sip tea in your outside chair with the dogs doing their work!! You must have 4-wheel drive on that walker of yours :)

How's your appetite nowadays? I sure struggled with that for a while after surgery too and part of it was the sluggish digestion that came from those different medications & the lack of much activity. Nice that Mike was bringing you a piece of pie -- maybe he can gather some other goodies you might enjoy too. Each morning with my cup of coffee I would eat a little bowel of blueberries and half a banana, that was yummy.

I hope that your back will settle down as time progresses, do be careful on the lap top -- are you more comfortable at a table vs. with it on your lap?

Take care,
Cardie
 
My appetite seems to be coming back. I don't want it to come back toooo much, though. I do have weight to lose ... and it will go ... I'm determined. At the same time,I'm making sure I eat enough for healing my body and hip. Not skimping on healing calories and nutrition.

I can't wait until I can switch from my walker to cane for my outside walks. It's difficult to get the walker through the yard and the barn area--it doesn't have 4 wheel drive, lol. I don't think I was doing this much outside walking last hip because it was during the winter. I didn't go out to the barn much for the first 3 weeks and I think I was on a cane around the time I started. I do enjoy my treks out there and it is a good reason to push myself at times I'd rather lie in bed ... after I've already rested enough. I'm being very careful not to push too hard though. I did too much yesterday and was pretty much exhausted today. I made one trip out to the barn, went out to breakfast, and that was it. I slept for several hours this afternoon. My body needed it. The hip was stiffer too, a sure sign I did too much yesterday. Last hip, I would have pushed right through and kept going, but I know better this time. Tomorrow is another day and I know that some days are "push" days and some days are "rest" days. The body knows what it needs.

Dorothy
 
I'm having a blue day. No real reason. Things are going well, weather is great, everyone in my life is healthy, my beloved animals are healthy and happy (I just love my animals to pieces!!!) ... I guess I'm just at that place where I'm just kind of sad.

This is such an up and down process. Seems like I was feeling out of it and hobbling around for a while ... and then the next day I noticed a lot of improvement. Then that kind of stalled for a little ... then I feel better. Overall, I think I'm doing better than last hip, even considering the back problems that have plagued me this time. I found a way to stretch out that muscle a little and the PA I saw at my follow up appointment suggested I started taking Celebrex for the back. Maybe a combo of things are working, but I don't have that horrible "keep me awake" back spasm and pains going down my leg that I had the first week and a half, for which I'm very grateful.

I know "this too shall pass", but I'm just feeling blue. Maybe hearing about any interesting things people are doing in their lives will perk me up?? Please feel free to post about your lives and goings on.

Dorothy
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012
for a blue lady--sometimes all the stuff just sort of catches up and overwhelms us.

I have a little critter here who wants to chase those blues away for you
[Bonesmart.org] Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012


Take care, Dorothy, you're doing so well with your recovery.
[Bonesmart.org] Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012
 
Don't despair, Dorothy. We are all living lives of such great excitement, that every single Bonesmartie will soon be along to entertain you with our tales of personal adventure. For example, I've had a stellar time today arranging for post-op PT, and picking out a new pair of frames for my latest vision prescription!!

The nice thing about this surgery is that you don't have to have a reason to justify a down day. Your body is very busy behind the scenes, and your mind has enforced downtime to allow the body to do what it needs. It is a common thread for many of us...we want to resume our busy lives, both mentally and physically. We fight the fact that it's perfectly okay to lie around for hours on end....nap, read, watch tv, contemplate our navel. I've got a list going of projects to tackle that I've long put off....I bet I never get to most of them! If they weren't important enough to fit into my busy schedule, they aren't really any more important now. But I like knowing the list is there. When I get bored or down, I can look at it, and feel better about doing nothing at all.

Perhaps it will amuse you to know what is on my list so far.
1. Put all my old credit card statements into chronological order, so I can find the one I need easily on the extremely rare occasion that I need to find one.
2. Once they are in chronological order, go back into my financial history to try and put down a logistical history of travel experiences. My SO and I have been together almost 15 years. We have taken MANY road trips...so many, that they all run together now. Where exactly did we go on which trip out west and what city did we stay in which hotel and what was the name of that restaurant we swore to stay away from?
3. Sort through the old photos and keep the keepers, and pitch the awful ones, or the ones where no one can identify who that relative is anyway.
4. Overhaul my password system so I can keep my online data safer and still remember how to access it.

So exciting, I just don't know which to tackle first!!

Dorothy, I say give in to the down times. Pour a glass of iced tea, find your most comfortable place to perch for awhile, lounge around with whatever your idea of a good book is, or start an online scrabble game, or pop a dvd into the player...you get the idea. Nap, and then nap some more. While away a summer day, and tomorrow...as Scarlett O'Hara always said....will be better.

If this post doesn't help, I'll be along later to tell you what I had for dinner, and who won the euchre game that my SO and are playing with friends tonight.

:)

Sharon
 
Hi Dorothy,

Well, I don't have a good project list going to regale you with like Sharon has. But I can give you a little peek into a condensed version of the day(s) here lately...

Yesterday I had to take my oldest to get his wisdom teeth extracted, that was a little nerve wracking from the maternal perspective -- but all went really well & quite quickly!! Spent the afternoon being the mother hen and watching over him while we watched part of Antiques Roadshow where they actually did re-appraisals of items from the 1998 show. We also watched a couple of other PBS shows about these 2 beautiful Manor homes in England some place -- we didn't really have the sound up loud enough to hear, just marveling at the beauty of them.

Today I went back to the gym again with a return to my tiny workout regime which really only takes about 1/2 an hour and that's mostly because of people clogging up the leg machines I need! It worked pretty well today and I did 5 minutes on the treadmill to see how my gait was doing. Then I took my youngest to the pool so she could swim with her friends and I mostly lay on a chair in the shade trying to stay cool & read. I went in the water twice, but it was 86 degrees and not particularly refreshing!! Wisdom tooth boy was fine today, didn't need much doting. Middle child has managed to up-side down his circadian rhythms with late night computer games and sleeping in most of the day...

Not sure what's on the docket for tomorrow -- it's going to be beastly hot again. Sunday we visit my Dad and putter around his house for a little bit. He has a flock of rat terriers that we work on socializing.

When you are relaxing in your outside chair with your iced tea, do your dogs chase and play with each other? I always get the biggest kick out of watching our two & how their personalities come through in those little interactions. Maggie, the lab, is always the instigator and will run around inciting Max, the aussie/border collie blend, to chase her. Max is always more serious about the chase than Maggie is and he always dominates -- but she seems to get a kick out of it and always starts things up!! It is a hoot to watch :puppysmooze:

I hope the tide of sadness recedes some for tomorrow -- :SUNsmile:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Oh Dorothy, it was a sad evening for the girls! We usually play girls against the guys, and we usually play 3 rounds, and it's usually one and one and the third round determines the winners. And we're pretty well-matched so sometimes it goes to the guys and sometimes to the girls. But tonight....ai yi yi!! They creamed us! They demolished us! They polished us off and flicked the crumbs to the floor! We lost all. Three. Games.

Ignominious defeat. :(

Sharon
 
Hi Dorothy,

Max and Maggie just stopping by to say hi to you and your girls :)

[Bonesmart.org] Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012
 
Oh Max and Maggie are so cute!!! Thanks for posting their pictures.

Sharon, sorry about the card game. Boy, you are getting close to your surgery date. I hope this one goes as well as the last. I remember you had an excellent recovery after the first one.

Dorothy
 
Dorothy,

Would love to try to get together when you come up this way again. Is Dr. C's office in Widewaters? If so, there are many restaurants near by that we could meet at. Perhaps for lunch?

I think after the 1st THR there is some "excitement" if you will, each day as we heal and things change. With the 2nd one I found that little excitement gone and it seemed longer even if it really wasn't. But in a way it is longer because of the healing of both hips. Those blues come and go for quite some time but eventually it is longer between the bouts. After all, there is the new life we have, but there is some grieving for how things were before hip problems...(if one can remember that...:scratch:)

Take good care and enjoy those animals!
 
I think you are on to something about the "less excitement with the second hip" theory. I was just in utter amazement every time my leg did something new after the first hip replacement. I think my surgeon thought I was really funny when he came to see me at the hospital and I was so excited like a little kid at Christmas because I had been able to stand and lift my leg at the hip joint at a PT session, something I hadn't been able to do for months before the hip replacement. Silly, but it was SUCH a big deal for me that day.

Today is a big deal day! I actually did several full straight leg raises while lying on my bed! Previously I had only been able to get the leg a couple of inches off the bed with a lot of struggle until this morning ... then all the sudden this morning--boom! I was able to do about 5 good ones, nice and high and was able to hold them pretty well on the way back down with good control of the leg. The strength is returning!

I've also been trying to do the side lying leg raise, which is another of Dr. C's "required exercises" between weeks 2 and 6. That's a tough one. Haven't been able to do much in that department, but I did get it raised a couple of inches, weakly. But, I can do a really good clamshell. I do a bunch of them. I remember that was how I worked my way up to doing the side lying leg raise last hip, so I know I'm getting there.

I think I'm actually about a week ahead of where I was with the last hip, exercises-wise. I still have to use a walker, though. I tried a cane yesterday and it just wasn't enough support. But, I'm getting there ... I just hate lugging the walker around; a cane is much easier. But all in all, I'm very pleased to be where I'm at--I'm just a little more than 2 weeks post op. So, today is a day of happy events! Things are so up and down with hip recovery.

Diane--yes, Dr. C is at Widewaters. There is a Chinese buffet on Erie Blvd a mile or two from there called Fuji Sun or something close to that and I love that place. If I can walk OK (to be able to handle a buffet without a cane to get in the way and if you are also able to do so at that point), I would love to meet there; otherwise, there are many other places to choose from in that area. My appointment is August 6. We can talk more as it get's closer and we know how we are each doing.

I'm having problems with my insurance for my home PT, though. When I was discharged from the hospital, they gave approval for only 2 visits. The first one was pretty much worthless because of how sore I was from the hospital PT. The next one got me started with some very easy ones. She made a 3rd one without getting prior approval, assuming that they would allow me more than just 2 considering that I wasn't doing well at that point. She called me last week and said they surprised her and denied any further home PT except for the pre-approved 2. That's sounds crazy. I called the insurance and the person I spoke with acted as if the therapist just didn't submit some paperwork, so I called the PT back. She called this morning and said she spent over an hour between faxing more justification and talking on the phone with a representative and still has to wait for someone else to give final approval. Crazy! She even explained to them that they were doing me a disservice because the hospital discharge planner had recommended inpatient rehab for me (which I refused, since I wanted to come home). So, here I was saving them a ton of money by not going to inpatient rehab, yet they were dragging their feet on a few more home PT visits. All she is asking for are 3 more and then she thinks I can be on my own. I'd probably be done with it by now, but I got a late start because of being so beaten up by the hospital PT. I told her to call me if they deny her and I'll call them again. Regardless, she is making a visit tomorrow, even if she doesn't get paid for it. She doesn't feel right just dumping me like that. I make jewelry and I'm going to give her a chain mail bracelet as a gift for all her extra work on this case. Who would have thought it would be so tough just getting approval for a few home PT visits!

And what's even crazier yet is that after I got home from the hospital, I received a letter from the insurance company saying that they had approved an additional 5 days in the hospital after my surgery! How much money would that have cost them?????? I know the case manager/discharge planner was very concerned about my being discharged to home alone with the level of pain I was in and she is probably the one that pushed for more hospital days--too bad no one had the brains to figure out *their own PT staff* was the cause of the pain. I was fine until they worked the **** out of me!The world of healthcare is a strange place ...

Dorothy
 
Dorothy,

Sounds great, I love Chinese! Even if I'm still using my cane, I'll manage (we'll see where you are at also).

Know what you mean about the ins. Companies...it is crazy, they still have not paid for my rehab. #2 saying it was not medically necessary. Seems like they are more willing to pay for more expensive care...makes no sense.

So glad you had an up day. Yeah! It will come. 2 weeks is not long at all and you are doing great...keep on keeping on...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom