THR Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dorothy. Long time no see. :)
The good news seems to be that you still have potential for resolving pain, even though it may end up being a surgical resolution. I admire your patience in exploring every nook and cranny of this problem, and giving each option a chance to work before moving on to the next. It sounds like life is good and full in spite of the pain issues, and you are seeing the positives. It would be so easy to get fixated on the negatives, and where does that ever get anybody?

If surgery it is, then I look forward to hearing that....it worked!! Whenever that is.

Sharon
 
Hi Dorothy,

Do you have a date for the nerve ablation yet? It would be interesting to see if something like that might make a change on the pains that you are having from the adductor. I have often found that with my new SI pains (also from surgery) that when I'm having issues with my pelvis, that adductor tendon (which originates off the pubic bone) will be tight and painful. I've also have great tension in the adductor at the groin since my surgery because of the change in the angle with that fake hip. I don't have pain further down in the muscle itself, just at the top. I've also had a big change in the way I carry my pelvis front/back vs. the traditional tilt of the pelvis side to side from LLD issues.

Have you had any MRI imaging done of your hip for the adductor muscles/tendons or for your SI joint since your surgery? Just wonder if that type of diagnostic test would reveal anything helpful for the next steps. Please keep us posted on your sports medicine OS appointments and I do hope that they will have the capacity to figure out what is going on!!

In the meantime, try to take it easy now that you've run out of money and ideas on alternatives. When I was at the same point in recovery after my surgery I just stopped everything -- I didn't have a job though. I spent my days resting on the couch listening to the radio and using the computer for 2 months. Same time of year and everything, it was really depressing mentally but seemed to help my aliments settle down and more healing occur.

I hope for improvement for you, I know you have those horses and hopes of trail riding this summer.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Dorothy

12:44 am
66 weeks post op

I can't believe that in reading your journey I am reading about myself.

I am 16 months post surgery....got hurt at PT 4 weeks post surgery (tore psoas muscle near off the bone and the adductor almost the same)....still on morphine for the pain...and I am finally getting to see a second OS Wednesday and that was after I fired my first OS for dismissing my pain as being all in my head.

I am curious how you are doing now.

I must admit I spend a fair amt of time on the edge of tears because I cannot believe that this is happening to me. I got a hip replacement to lose pain not gain pain.

It is reassuring to know that someone else went through some of the same stuff.

I'm afraid to hear the second OS say there is nothing wrong with the hip. I just want to know how come I have to eat pain killers and put up with a jerk GP who thinks it is time for me to go off the morphine and go on tylenol. WHAT!!! That is his idea of pain management. Under prescribe and you are on your own.

I think I will print off some of your posts to show the new OS. I'm also taking my hubby along as it seems doctors take you more seriously if you're male or have a male with you. (That's my experience.)

After 3 falls in 4 days because my balance is crappy, something has to be done. I've had Xrays to check that the prosthesis is still OK and I didn't break my wrist. Next time I will not be so lucky.

I have been off work for 2 years. I'm getting so disappointed.

Anyway if you can let me know how you are doing I would appreciate it.

Take care
 
Hi Carol, I haven't been on the board in a long time, but Cardie emailed me about your post--I'm glad she did or I would have missed it.

I remember your situation well--isn't it absolutely sickening when PT does stupid things that harm our otherwise great hip replacement?????? I have been through a lot all because of post op PT having their agenda that didn't listen to my complaints that it was too much. Idiots!!!!! Jo has said many times that hips kind of heal themselves and you don't have to go crazy with exercises during the early post op period, and I truly believe that--my first hip is testament to that. I did reasonable exercises with that one and things went very smoothly and I love that hip. Yes, muscles need to be strengthened ... but it's really not that tough to rehab a hip, and you certainly don't have to work to the point of severe pain and injury to get there. Absolutely wrong and ridiculous!!! But, unfortunately there are PTs out there who have crazy beliefs that can hurt patients--we both are examples of that.

Fortunately, my surgeon never doubted that I had pain and something wrong. He did have a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that it happened the first couple of days post op at the hospital and investigated and ruled out everything else under the sun before he could finally believe that the pain was simply overworked and injured tendons and muscles caused by PT. He also had me see a sports med ortho in their practice to get his opinion--that Dr. agreed that it was tendon/muscular. I also saw two other orthos on my own and got the same opinions.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been an easy time to try to get all this straightened out. At around 10 or so months post op, when it became very clear that this wasn't going to heal completely with conservative measures, my surgeon did an adductor longus tendon release surgically and also a hip arthroscopy to look at everything else in and around the hip. In addition to the adductor muscle being damaged, he also did some repair/clean up work on the psoas and the rectus femoris--I don't know exactly what the damage was there, but he has some pictures I'll get to see at my upcoming office visit. He thought the surgery went well ... but then I developed a large hematoma around the adductor longus area that he had hoped would reabsorb with time, but it became clear that this wasn't going to happen because it kept getting larger. A week after the first surgery, he performed a surgical hematoma evacuation which has knocked me on my butt and it's going to take a long time to recover from that. But, I'm feeling a little better every day, so I have hope that will heal fine and move on.

The wound is in a difficult place (up high in the crotch area, where he did the original adductor longus release cut) and the evacuated hematoma space inside is large and drains a lot (it's not a nasty drainage, so I think it's basically a healthy wound trying to heal. I have a Wound Vac machine hooked up to me 24/7 and a dressing that needs to be changed ideally 3x per week. We have a hard time making the dressing stick because of the location and sometimes the home nurse has to come out in between the scheduled dressing changes to redo it. But, I think we have come up with a wound dressing/drape and liquid adhesive combo that is working pretty well. The regular dressings/drape typically used with the Wound Vac doesn't stay on for more than a few hours without springing a leak. My surgeon is providing me with a super tacky/sticky flexible drape that is used in the OR during surgeries that is working better, as well as a liquid adhesive (also an OR product) that goes around the wound/dressing edges that helps it stick MUCH better than the regular Wound Vac dressings/drape material. The nurses are becoming more experienced with using these things and discovering what makes my dressing stick ... so things are going better as time goes by. The home care nurses think it will be another 3 weeks or so before the drainage has slowed enough to ditch the wound vac. I see my surgeon this coming Thursday and I'll get his opinion about how things are healing and if we need to change the treatment plan. Although it certainly hasn't been a pleasant experience to go through, I have accepted that this is the way things are and am taking things one day at a time.

I am SO sorry that you are being blown off by your doctors! I know that would have been intolerable for me--it's bad enough to have the injuries and the additional pain/limitations in the first place, but to have the doctor(s) ignore your concerns would have been "it" for me. I can't imagine going through that too.

I do encourage you to continue to look for an ortho who will take your situation seriously. You may have to go to some place like a teaching hospital or an excellent surgeon who has the reputation for fully investigating problems AND then solving the problem. Don't give up! And, don't be afraid to be assertive in your discussions with these doctors. You need a very experienced ortho, and don't give up until you find that doctor.

Dorothy
 
Putting in a tag so that Carol Mad Rocker sees your message.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Dorothy, I am so pleased you have posted.. You have had such a difficult time, as have quite a few members around our surgery time.

You are so right about aggressive PT often causing issues down the track.. I fail to see why they don't listen, but I guess there is an element of trust and they convince us at a very vulnerable time..

Do keep posting, we miss you! :)

Hugs from down under!
 
Hi Dorothy

I have posted in my thread all the details from my app't with the 2nd OS.
Thank you so much for your information and support. I can see there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you and I hope positive things continue to happen.

I was reading somewhere that the worst thing that a patient can hear is "there is nothing I can do to help you." Maybe it's time those so called professional medical people changed their profession to dog walker. Because if you don't know what to do, the dogs will....:)

Take care and thanks again
 
Poppet--I'll try to stop in more. I guess I have been just so overwhelmed with what's been happening with my situation and hate to keep updating with a "tale of woe" here. Everything could have been so uneventful and different had it not been for that awful aggressive PT after hip number 2. That's why I tell everyone I see not to kill themselves in post op PT. Hips are not that difficult to rehab! My gosh!!!

Even some professionals think you have to push and push or something horrible will happen--like we will all seize up and never be able to walk again. Give me a break!!! One of my home care nurses even said something the other day in the PT's defense about "well ... they do have to push people after a hip replacement." To which I responded--"That is just not true and that's the kind of thinking that gets patients injured like I was." We all know you can't sit in a chair or in bed all the time and do have to push a little bit to walk around and do some moderate exercises as things heal, but push the way I was pushed the first couple of days post op???? I don't think so!!! And, I wouldn't be sitting here with a wound vac hanging off my leg if those idiots hadn't pushed me so hard ... and I hadn't been so vulnerable to their manipulation. "Oh, you are doing fine ... keep trying ... keep going ... " as I was crying saying "This hurts SO bad!!!" "Why does my leg hurt worse every day instead of getting better every day as the first one did??" First hip PT post op (at a different hospital) was much easier and I never felt like it was too difficult for me. Healed up and strengthened up just fine and didn't even need outpatient PT--did everything on my own. I went easy at first and increased the walking and exercises as my body told me I could. That's the way it should be.

And, something I ran into even after this last couple of surgeries to repair the previous post-hip-replacement damage was that PT evals were routinely added to my list of orders (the hospital based PA's write the general orders and I was on the total joint replacement floor, so it was routine). I found the PTs who visited me to be oblivious to my situation being different from a hip replacement patient--I don't know how many of them I had to tell--"I'm not a hip replacement patient--I don't have to do what you typically have people doing post op." AND they were still confused and stuck in their "but we have to help you strengthen your leg and walk the minimum distance for discharge ..." (I had been advised by my MD NOT to exercise the leg after the hematoma started AND to do no more than walk from my bed to the bathroom or a very short walk in the hall occasionally when I started feeling cage-bound in my room.) But, the PTs didn't believe me and were stuck in their routine/rut. Weird. I finally told the last one I saw to leave me alone or I was going to get very angry, AND when my surgeon came in for his next visit, I told him he had better remove PT in all shape and form from my chart and people needed to be reminded why I was there (and that my situation was different), or I was going to get angry and heads were going to roll. He took care of that immediately and no one bugged me about it again. But, I was amazed what I had to go through to get them to back off.

Patients really need to speak up for themselves and absolutely REFUSE exercises that are too difficult or too painful, no matter what the PT's tell you. If they have a problem with that, discuss it with your surgeon and get things straightened out that way.

If I ever have to have a revision done, I will arrive at the hospital with a pre-approved list of exercises (pre-discussed with my surgeon) that I will do, and strict instructions that NO ONE is to manipulate and push me into anything else. I know what is reasonable and what's not. And, they darn well better abide by that ...

I've gotten tough, huh?! lol

Dorothy
 
I hate to keep referring to a dog but I honestly believe you would have been in better care with a dog at least you would have felt loved unconditionally and they would have been happy if you would have followed you own gut feeling. Gosh darn it... Why is it so hard to get good health care. One day my OT told me nice people don't get good health care.

Why?

Keep you chin up....
 
It is so sad that Mad Rocker that we have to be such strong advocates for ourselves, when, we pay and expect professional expertise and care.. I get where you are coming from!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom