Guest viewing is limited

THR Dorothy's 2nd hip recovery, June 22, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think resting yesterday helped a lot. The leg isn't as sore this morning. Not quite as hard getting in and out of bed. I did some easy range of motion type exercises in bed this morning and I think that's all I'll do for the day. Other than that, just walk around the house.

Mike left this morning and is no longer staying her. I'll be fine. I have lots of food and can do most everthing I need to do. My neighbors are coming up to fill the horse water trough and check on them for me. I think I'll probably be able to walk out to the horses by the weekened, but that's not possible yet. Mike will still be back to check on me and do things I can't do, but I really want my personal space back, and I know he prefers his own home too.

I really appreciate everyone's support and well wishes. It means a lot!!!!

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, it's lovely to hear you are feeling better today and pleased you seem all organised to fend for yourself, forward planning is well worth it isn't it.

Take care and keep up the good work

Ann
 
Dorothy,
Wow, I'm impressed with how organized you have things! Walking out to see the horses soon will be a great accomplishment. I totally agree with the not pushing it too much. That's my motto with side 2 and the pain is much better this time
. Thats the game plan I'm using this time. Keep resting, icing....thinking and praying for you:)
Dee
 
I had a bad day yesterday. Extreme exhaustion along with the pain just getting to me. The PT in the hospital really set me back. I slept most of the afternoon. Felt pretty good this morning, and then getting tired again. Have to rest some more. I'm really ticked off about the aggressive hospital PT and I sent an email to my surgeon to give him my opinion and experience. The home PT came Tuesday and I was too sore to work with. She will come back Friday and we will start again. This is absolutely ridiculous and never should have happened. There is no advantage to pushing someone so hard right after surgery.

I'm not going to write much because I'm still just so tired and out of it.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy!!!!

Welcome back to the "other side" again :) Sorry I missed your arrival, I have been busy stumbling around trying to get my ducks all lined up with the new forum -- I have been sneaking a peak in both your threads a couple times though...

I hope when you get back to the forum that you will have had some good resting time and that you are getting plenty to eat and drink as well. It's really a shame that we can't dote on you in real life with casseroles & tasty pies, but we'll try to make up for it here with words & messages. :friends:

Blast that PT person for what he did in the hospital, good grief!! I hope that doctor-King will take care of that issue directly. It sounds like you'll be pacing yourself a whole lot differently with the in-home PT person the next few days. I hope that you are able to stay on top of your pain and are getting plenty of time with the ice pack. :thumb:

2012 has been a big year for you, hang in there good times will be the reward coming.
Take care,
Cardie
 
I'm getting better but I'm still pretty sore and swollen.

It wasn't any one particular PT person at the hospital--it was more like their overall post op program was too aggressive. We all met in a small gym and did things together. All the staff was very nice, but they would tell me to do something ... and I would just do it even if it hurt like "you know what". Looking back, I don't know why I didn't say something more than I did (but you would think that "This hurts so bad!" between sobs would be a clue for them, wouldn't you???????). Part of me didn't want to make bigger fuss because there were so many people around; part of it was the "boss/underling" relationship that we had; Part of it was just wanting to grit my teeth, get it over with, so I could get back to my room and rest.

The home PT comes today and I think we can start doing some things. Her stuff was not even close to as aggressive as the hospital stuff last hip, so things should be fine. I have so much swelling and things hurt in weird places, and I've been on the fence about whether to call the Dr. I think I'll ask for her input on that. I don't want to have to go all the way to his office just to hear "it will settle down in time ..." or the like.

I'm going to rest a little before she gets here.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy

So pleased both hips are done and dusted for you.. Now the slow, steady pathway to recovery... I will be watching for your updates with your more gentle 'at home' PT :)
 
Dorothy,

Keep it gentle! Resting and not overdoing it are so important to keeping the pain manageable. Funny the difference between the two hospitals and their programs. I wonder if some of the changes are part of our health care system changes because I noticed a big change in my two operations and they were in the same hospital and rehab center only a year apart. They definitely were pushing the envelope and a friend who had both knees done on a similar time schedule noticed the same thing. Take it easy and remember to be a self advocate. Don't let them push you!
Dee
 
Absolutely Dorothy, be a strong advocate for yourself honey... You can do it... Don't be pushed into any activity that you know in yourself that your body is not ready for xx
 
Hi Dorothy,
I am surprised that the people leading the PT session did not notice you were not in a good way with the exercises!! THat seems quite "out of tune" to me! Was it that big a group that they could not notice? I am glad you are complaining about it, too. Glad your home PT is better.
Take it very easy. That is exciting that you are thinnking of taking a walk down to the horses so soon! But don;t "grit your teeth" like you did with the PT sessions. People usually love to help. (And if they don't, it's still good for their karma-hee hee!)
Here are warm recovery wishes coming your way!
Elle
 
Hi Dorothy, I hate to see you be hard on yourself about not speaking up about the hospital PT. I think the health care community here is running wild with premiums dropping and trying to process patients as quickly as possible. I had to put my life in their hands as I was my own decision maker and hope for the best. They did a good job, but I too felt rushed out so another could take my hospital room.

I know you'll your find increased progress with rest, ice, elevation and your new PT. Are your riding boots still out in view? You'll be out riding your beloved horses before you know it and what a treat it will be. You've put in a tough year and deserve that gift (and more) after putting so much effort into recovery.
 
After having a low grade temp (ranging from 99.5F to 100.7F) non-stop for several days and feeling worse every day rather than better, I called my surgeon's office. I was told they wanted me seen. They have an after-hours "walk-in" kind of thing at one of their locations, and I went there. I saw a nice young guy P.A. who is one of the at-the-hospital P.A.s. He took my dressing off. It's one of those "super dressings" meant to stay on for a week and it was time for it to come off anyway; I was just to scared to take it off at home because it was so painful and I honestly thought there was something really ugly going on there. The incision surprisingly looks good except for an area of bruising that leads him to believe there is a hematoma nearby, which could be causing a lot of my incision pain. The dressing must have been putting pressure there and it felt better just getting it off. He put some 4x4 gauze pads just to loosely cover it and sent me home with some to rebuild it as it loosens. I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday next week and his guess is that the person I see that day (my surgeon's office P.A.) will choose to leave it uncovered). Other than that, he didn't see anything alarming and thought the hematoma would just reabsorb with time.

I also sent an email to my surgeon with my experience and opinion about the PT at the hospital. I think they do their PT like this because it's a case of trying to better the other hospitals in the area--like "look what *our* total hip patients can do after surgery!" There is always a lot of competition between hospitals. My home PT says that she would diagnose me with a severe hip flexor strain and it's just going to take time and relative rest to heal it. Her exercises are much more "toned down" than last hip. She has a lot of experience in the field and she kind of echo'd what we hear Jo saying all the time--hips don't need a lot of work out during the early stages; aggressive strenthening can begin later and the results will be the same and the ones where they were go-go-go at the beginning. So, she said there was absolutely no reason for the hospital to have been so aggressive.

But, I think I've done enough complaining about the hospital PT. I've told people who need to know about it and "my work is done".

I think I'm feeling a little better and stronger today. I took some pain meds a while ago that are setting in now and I'm very tired ... so I think I'll sign off for now and check in later.

Dorothy
 
Oh, wow, Dorothy, that must have been so scary to have a fever AND pain. Yes, I can imagine expecting the worse when they took of the dressing! So glad that they narrowed it down to a bad bruise (I am sure you might have been feeling "blood clot")

Scary that hospitas are competing,as you say. They do that here, too. I find it strange, but I have grow up in the era of hospitals as helpig places, rather than busnesses.

So good that your regualr PT knows your body and what you need!

And most of all...glad you are feelign better...and hope you feel even better when you wake up!
 
Another day here in hip recovery land.

Funny thing happened this morning--Mike planned to arrive earlier than usual to take the dogs for a walk and then go to his favorite weekend diner for breakfast (to avoid the heat we are having), rather than his usual plan to eat first. One dog, Heidi, gets very excited when she thinks she is going for a walk and starts this jumping, yippy, screechy thing until she is on her way. It's cute, but chaotic. My other dog, Lucy, thinks Heidi is crazy and just tries to stay out of her way.

Well, Heidi was into her craziness and my new neighbor (Mary Ellen) became concerned and rushed over to check to make sure everything was OK with me. I haven't had a chance to talk with her very much lately, but her daughter did see me walking out to put the dogs out into the big fenced yard a couple of days ago and I yelled across the yard that I was a slow poke because I had had a hip replacement. I guess all the daughter told her was "she had surgery". Mary Ellen said she heard Heidi screeching and was concerned something had happened to me and decided to check it out. She was barefoot with her pajamas on. We thanked her profusely for her concern and explained just explained that Heidi is psycho puppy. So, the moral of this story is that I should have a leash in my walker bag in case I fall and can't get up. I'll just flash the leash Heidi's way and she will go into "psycho puppy mode" and I will be saved! :puppysmooze:

My incision is feeling better and I, in general, am feeling better. I don't have much of an appetite,though, which is VERY unusual for me. I can usually keep eating through the worst flu known to man! I've been primarily living off meal drink substitutes--Boost, Ensure, that kind of thing. Mike is bringing me back a piece of pie from the diner--they make geat pies. I have some chicken marinating in the fridge, but it doesn't sound good. I have a variety of frozen and canned goods available, but nothing sounds good right now. I try to eat at least one solid food meal per day. I think I'm getting enough nutrition and calories, but it is a little strange for me not to have an appetite. I want to lose weight, but not quite this way. As usual, I'm very thirsty and drinking a lot of water, iced tea, and an occasional fruit juice. I'll mention this to the P.A. at my follow up Tuesday.

I want to try walking out to see the horses today. Wish me luck!

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy! Sounds like you are right on track in this recovery. Of course you are tired - you have had two major surgeries in a very short space of time. Rest, rest and more rest. Ice that incision as well. It will cut down the swelling. Ease does it for now!
 
I did walk out to see my horses today! I even helped put their fly masks on and sprayed some fly spray on them. It took a long time to walk out and back on grass, having to lift my walker with pretty much every step, rather than glide along (probably about 250 feet one way, plus walking around once I got there). I promptly lied down after returning and took a nap. Just woke up. That must have been quite a journey for me. I think I can walk out to see them by myself now and resume their basic care. It's not much--put fly masks on and off if the flies are nasty and fill their water trough using a hose. It felt good to do something productive. My horses looked at my walker, like "Oh yes, I remember that thing from the last time."

Dorothy
 
What a great update. That must have been quite exhausting using your walker on grass. But well done you! Easy does it right? Very early days!
 
Hi Dorothy, great update. :) I am sure your horses were happy to see you were out and about. Your pups sound like a wonderful and I think the leash in your walker bag is a sure bet for attention!

I ate nothing but chocolate for the first 4 weeks after surgery. Certainly not good nutrition, but it seemed to be what my brain wanted to calm down. Once I got of the narcotics, I went back to my regular diet and vitamins which made helped a lot with stamina.
 
but you would think that "This hurts so bad!" between sobs would be a clue for them, wouldn't you???????)

Um, yeah Dorothy, you would think so wouldn't you? :what: sound like you are putting that behind you now though, so I won't dwell on it, but their behavior sounds quite bizarre. also sounds like you have things under control now and like Sandy said, you know what you need for yourself, just trust it.

Wow, out with the horses already? You go girl :egypdance: i bet that felt fantastic to you. Going out there on your own now? Be careful, I know you are anxious, just don't set yourself back ( know that one from experience :blush: ) hope things continue to improve quickly for you, cathy
 
Hi Jacey, Tracy, and Cathy! Yes, it feels so good to be able to go out to see my horses. I was out for a while yesterday and then spent a little more time in my chair near the barn. It felt great to be outside on a sunny day. I have to be very careful around the horses--they are big animals and can run into me without meaning to. Fortunately, I only have two and they are both middle aged mostly pokey types. One does like to shove me with his head, so we are reviewing "don't hit me--it's non-negotiable!" It's his way of saying hi, but it's enough that he can knock me off balance. Not allowed. A tap on his chest with my dressing stick (from my walker bag) was enough to remind him. He's like a big dog, but there has to be boundaries for safety. My other one is more sedate and respectful. She is no problem at all and very safe to hang out with, even with a walker and a bum hip.

I have my first follow up appointment today. My PT has noticed a leg length discrepancy. Need to find out if it is real or something my body has learned along the way. They didn't say anything about it after the surgery, but I do see and feel what the PT is talking about. Hoping for the best ...

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom