Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Andy. I'm truly sorry about your mother. I like that you're planning to lay her to rest next to her husband under their tree. I lost my mother suddenly a while back, and find comfort knowing that her ashes are now next to other family members in a small, lovely country cemetery in a place she loved. Grieving and mourning are much like our recovery from surgery; they set their own pace and ebb and flow according to their own needs and schedule. And rereading this I sound so very much like the touchy-feely Californian that I am. Please accept a little California TLC from across the pond.
 
Oh, Andy .....I sound so very much like the touchy-feely Californian that I am. Please accept a little California TLC from across the pond.

Let there be more "touchy feely" from California and beyond. This is a huge emotional journey as well as a huge physical one and it all is addressed by different people in different ways x
[Bonesmart.org] Doing the double!
 
Hi @AndyH99
Hope you are doing okay. Cushions/HR/Amazon sorted? Have you started your phased return to work or are you doing your trip first? Look forward to an update!
 
Hello @AndyH99 , sorry about your mom it's sad to lose a family member. Good to hear your getting out and about and having a little normalicy in your day. I too am weaning myself off of tramadel I've been on it for 2 years prior to surgery now I have to pay the piper! I'm down to 25 mg / day and now going to every other day for a week or so. I tried cold turkey but it was horrible and I chickened out , but I don't think I could of took the pain the last 2 years so I would do the same. Good luck with the process of that and maybe when that's out of your system your sleep patterns can return to normal . One day at a time I say!
 
Good day one and all,

It's been an ugly week or so since I last posted, more focused on stepping through each day without loosing the plot rather than pure hip issues; though I suspect they are related. It's not that I'd forgotten my extended family, just that the hole was very dark and not a place I wanted to drag others into when they needed to be focused on recovering.

The pain killer withdrawal process has proved a fair bit nastier than I anticipated and the symptoms have dragged on a bit, but the good news is I'm out the other side and climbing the hill to mental normality again thank heavens! I suspect doing a rapid cut down then cold turkey was most of the reason, but I couldn't accept taking them any more so they went. It can drive you into a rather dark & depressing place but I feel so much better not being on them now, the best but of all is I can now sleep 6hrs plus most nights so fingers crossed on that front. Paracetamol helps me along at times now, but the other stuff is tucked away in a box hopefully never to be needed again or at least for a very long time.

As for the hips, one I almost forget I've had done now, it just feels part of me and I only feel the very occasional twinge. The other is still causing me aches, pains and a weird kind of decompression pain when I take weight off of it, but this feels like it's improving with use so all is good. I'm now walking at a minimum a couple of miles a day with no stick and I'm only occasional using one stick when I get tired so it's really great and positive in terms of physical progress. I'm still waiting to see me OS for confirmation that everything is fine but till they finally get back to me I'm pushing onwards anyway.

I'm off to see my GP today (yes, a Saturday!) to see if she will sign me off as fit to go back to work on a phased return basis. No idea if she will given the OS hasn't signed off yet but I might be able to take that next step towards being normal again. It will be interesting to see what's happened whilst I've been away as at least a dozen people I know we'll have departed whilst I've been off and they've reorganised (again), it should prove interesting.

On another fun front, trying to curb one of the more enjoyable aspects of my recovery is proving annoying. After surgery till about a week ago I could eat anything that wasn't moving and both my weight and blood sugar have remained nicely stable. Weirdly enough, now I'm more mobile and active I find I'm putting on weight despite cutting back a little on the food intake. I suspect the old healing "fast burner" has turned off now so I'll have to regulate all those lovely cakes, sauces, sweets and desserts now; it was fun whilst it lasted!

I hope everyone is feeling great and recoveries are going well. I plan to catch up on my thread reading at some point this weekend to see how you all are.

Have a great recovery day, remember to stop and stare at how beautiful the world is around you and show someone special how you feel.

TTFN


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
So sorry to hear about your mother's passing Andy. Recovery is painful but a loss during that time is doubly hard.

Sounds like you are doing really well! Easy does it on the phased return. That energy drain hit me like a ton of bricks the first day. Plan your down time to compensate.
 
Well, that didn't go as planned! Dr won't sign me off as fit to return to work till at least the end of the month. Main reason was that my post op meeting hasn't happened yet ( hospital cancelled and haven't managed to rebook yet) but she wants me to recover further as I've just come off pain meds and started walking with minimal aids. I really like my GP but I'm a little frustrated now as work won't let me back till the Dr signs me off as OK!

@Jaycey couldn't agree more on the tiredness, a couple of mile walk a day is wiping me out still so I think my work would be a lot worse.

Real temptation to rehang my punch bag up today. Might be a nice relief to let out some stress. Especially ahead of the rugby tonight!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
she wants me to recover further as I've just come off pain meds and started walking with minimal aids.
Hats off to your GP. I know you are frustrated but she really does sound reasonable.

Your project for Monday - start nagging the surgeon's office. Tell them you are not willing to get back in the queue. Squeaky wheel and all that.
 
Hi @AndyH99, I've been wondering how you were doing. It's good to hear your update. The pain medication withdrawal sounds intense. I'm glad to hear you are sleeping better. I had a feeling there was a connection.

Sorry to hear you have to wait longer to return to work, but sometimes things work out for the best. I totally agree about hips and emotions being connected. I've studied that with the chakra system. Take care of yourself...
 
@AndyH99, I am so very sorry to hear about your mother passing. I can't imagine having to go through recovery and the loss of a parent. I am thinking of you.

I am glad you were able to wean off the pain medications. After surgery, my cousin sent me a book called "Dream Land" about oxycontin and heroin addictions. I think it scared me, because I decided to wean off pain meds, although I wasn't really feeling pain so it made sense. I weaned off the oxycodone first, because I was on the 12 hour oxycontin. Next I eliminated the day time dose of oxy, kept the night dose until the one week mark, and then switched to the tylenol. I think I actually went through 3 days of withdrawal after a week, because I had such a hard time sleeping, mostly anxiousness and not pain. I was glad to be through with it and wondered how hard it would be to get off after a month. I don't think people who are experiencing pain should go off their meds, but was glad to not need it.

Best wishes on returning to work. I can't imagine your not being able to if you are able to walk a couple of miles!! That's amazing progress. Take care and have a restful weekend.
 
Andy I am so sorry about your Mom. Maintaining your positive outlook and humor has helped you through this. She and your Dad must have been wonderful people to have such a good son.
I was taking Vicodin for only 3 months prior to surgery and found that my brain liked it far more than what little pain relief I was getting from it. So I stopped taking it. Oh my, sorry to be graphic, but not just loose stools, it was water. I cried. I was a witch with a capital B. It was awful. I took probiotics and it took about a month to improve. Post-Op I had Oxy and only took about 10 of them total and they didn't have the same brain effect. Otherwise I was taking Mobic and Tylenol which fortunately was enough.
And turning off the post op appetite is a challenge for me too! It was nice eating day and night whatever was put in front of me and whatever I wanted. I'm going to have to find some fat pants to wear until I can get rid of this muffin top that has appeared!
I hope you are cleared for work soon. Are you sleeping better? Getting back to a work routine will help that too I think. It warms my heart to think of how kind and supportive you've been to me and so many others here while you were going through 2 very dramatic life events. My best to you.
 
hi @AndyH99
Wow, lots of stuff going on, congrats on getting off of the pain meds. I also agree about being a sneaky well as to the OC appt. Maybe that office doesn't realize how important it is to you and for your return to work it's crucial.
Another week or two will be so beneficial for you and I hope you see that, too.
I would love to write more but I am stepping up my walking routine and OMG! I cannot keep my eyes open.
wishing nothing but the best for you..
 
Good day one and all,

Thank you all for the kind words, I hopefully get to go and see my parent's cherry tree site this weekend coming so all is good and it should be quite cathartic.

Quite a busy weekend for me after the Dr's trip, mostly outside making the most of potentially some of the last good weather for a while so good food, good company and the occasional bit of shopping!

Today I'm basically going to nag the hell out of the hospital until I get an appointment, even if I have to go and sit on their laps to achieve it (not a pretty thought I know). Once that's sorted I have my schedule for the week planned, so

1 - Chase the boss to see if I can nab some research work that I can do "unofficially" so I don't loose all my marbles
2 - Hit the gym daily and try to make some small steps forward in strength and stamina.
3 - Start my new Coursera courses and get my brain back in shape.
4 - Start reading my new books, almost two months worth of journals and books to catch up on.
5 - Most important of all, get stuff sorted at home so my wonderful wife feels pampered when she gets home from work. Returning the pampering is fun imho!

Even if they won't let me head back to work I'm going to make the most of it.

Have fun one and all, I intend to, assuming my hips don't decide otherwise!!
 
@AndyH99 your continuing positive attitude through all this is just great! And as one who has indeed gone and sat on the desk in the hospital booking office I say GO FOR IT!

Do take it easy in the gym. I remember my first visit post LTHR. It took all my energy just getting there. Stayed only a few minutes as I knew I needed the energy to get back home. Daily short visits soon brought back the strength and stamina.
Even if they won't let me head back to work I'm going to make the most of it.
:thumb:
 
Brilliant attitude you have not only turned the corner your approaching the finishing line.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good day one and all,

First off - WooHoo!!! on a couple of fronts.
My first solo gym session yesterday and I managed the upright bike and concept 2 rower so rather pleased; I hit the weights for a short while and they managed to kick my butt rather well compared to what I've shifted in my powerlifting days, I know it's not the same anymore but it did make me laugh.
Next is I have my OS follow up appointment booked in for tomorrow pm. I was told it was that or November, you can guess my reaction to the Nov option. So fingers crossed all will be well come the appointment and I can take a step towards mundane reality again.

A quite day watching the rain for me and fiddling with my computers, books and some research I need to complete. Work really is a state of mind it seems.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@AndyH99 just catching up with your thread and it sounds like you have made great progress with your gym visits and preparation for a return to work.I hope all goes well at your appointment tomorrow and you can move forward to normal life.Raining here too I'm afraid.What happened to the Indian summer we were promised ? Let us know how you get on.
 
Oh! Good luck tomorrow!
That's great that you snagged an appointment!
 
Hi excellent news you have that appointment. Great you are moving forward with everything too.

I am in day 2 of being in Manchester and now Chester then powys......My thigh pain burns, have booked appt at docs as it's doing my head in now.

Am so happy that all your pains and twinges have settled down and I hope you won't have muscle ache tomorrow after the gym !
X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom