Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ AndyH99 So happy to hear that your recovery is going well! It's so refreshing to see how you celebrate the small everyday victories and don't sweat the small stuff! Very inspiring!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99
Congratulations on your victory with the cane free walking and stair climbing. @Baybee is so right about the little accomplishments that put us on cloud nine. I'll check my bag of goodies and see if I have any sleep fairies left. If I find any, I will definitely send some across the pond for you. Have a wonderful day!
 
great progress report @AndyH99 ! I like the idea of journaling the progress. The mind can pull some serious tricks and writing it all down would help quantify the small steps forward.
I think you are being very wise in your recovery. If I had one I would present you with a gold star!
 
@AndyH99 its great that you are doing so well. Its so weird that things happen so quickly, then it slows then speeds up again. It like bits heal so you can accomplish the 'little' things and while we are getting used to that, the body is getting ready for the next little thing...i am waffling again!!
 
Good day one and all,

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words, greatly appreciated.

@Suzette I know what your problem is, you're demob happy as it's Friday and you're off to sunnier climes for a nice stress free holiday tomorrow. I hope you have a great stress free day that doesn't spoil your mood in any way.

I've been spacing my updates out as nothing spectacular has been happening recently, but yesterday was rather unusual in a good way.

With all the lovely sunshine out and nary a cloud to be seen my wife took me down to the local park for a change of scenery. I was feeling adventurous so I opted to only use a single cane to start with, taking the 2nd just in case. It has been so long since we've been able to stroll along hand in hand just chatting, meandering slowly and taking the time to stop and stare at the world. ( yes I am thinking of the poem https://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/william-henry-davies.html as I write this ). We got so wrapped up in the moment I didn't even think about the stick or my hips for ages, next thing we realised we were about 1.5 miles from the car and, more importantly, nothing hurt!! It felt so good that I carried on with just 1 stick and we wandered slowly back, taking the time to watch the sun dance on the streams, chat to the owners of the over friendly dogs and laugh at the dogs as they got outwitted by the squirrels running up the tree. All in all a wonderful romantic stroll with my wife on only 1 cane for my longest walk since about April, can't really ask for more.

Now I know you are probably wondering how bad the payback afterwards was/is. In all honesty, so far it's not that bad, I was a bit stiff last night and OMG my abs don't like me this morning, but on the pain front it's easily manageable and not causing any distress, we are even considering a slightly shorter jaunt today! Even better, baring one slight interruption I slept from 11pm to 5:30 am

So all in all a really good day, so time to stick my feet up with a good book for a bit and snooze a little so I'm fully awake for the rugby tonight

Have a great recovery day




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you are really progress in this recovery! Well done for taking this slow and steady.
 
Oh my goodness...you sound so rejuvenated. And what a beautiful sentiment. I'm sure your wife enjoyed the day almost as much as you did. And, the fact that you only suffered from muscle soreness is great news. The best part of this whole adventure, other than having a romantic day with your wife, was that you had a good nights sleep. Congratulations!
 
What great news Andy! I find it interesting that many post-op members seem to appreciate and enjoy the world around them much more than most. it's as though they are seeing the world again "through the eyes of a child"! It's very exciting watching my Bonesmart family recapturing their lives! :-)
 
I am so glad that I didn't spot this update until just now.. it's the perfect bedtime story to go to sleep with.. with me dreaming of romantic sunlit walks with my wonderful husband. And two good hips!
The End
:loveshwr:
 
I find it interesting that many post-op members seem to appreciate and enjoy the world around them much more than most. it's as though they are seeing the world again "through the eyes of a child"! It's very exciting watching my Bonesmart family recapturing their lives! :)

@Cynthia777 I agree, since having my hip done, followed by foot injury i do notice nature things so much more.Simple things like watching a squirrel, watching the sun and the clouds. I also appreciate my little grandson all the more. I suppose it is the slowing down and the patience that we develop, gives us a bit of a different perspective.

@AndyH99 lovely sounding walk, may there be many more. It is so great to see that things really do change and go forward!

[Bonesmart.org] Doing the double! This is @CricketHip on her journey to the other side x
 
Hi @AndyH99 what a lovely day you had yesterday walking with your wife, being able to take everything in and enjoy the beauty and joy of your surroundings without having to concentrate on the pain in your hips.Your recovery has been a wonderful example to us all as you have used the slow and steady approach and it has paid off.I am really pleased for you and I hope this is the first of many lovely pain free walks with your wife.By the way I love that poem too, I remember it from my school days.
 
Yup it goes from needed distraction to open eyed looking about us. On my walk home I see the same people walking dogs, somentv show must finish about then. Here's to more openeyed walks.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good day one and all,

Things continue to progress at a steady pace, albeit frustratingly slow what with the weather being the primary annoyance as it's keeping me indoors atm . At least there haven't been any significant physical blockers with the recovery for a while.

I'm off to the hospital tomorrow to see the surgical team for my belated 6 week assessment, hopefully no issues there and they can approve me driving again and confirm there are no issues preventing me returning to work. Fingers crossed!

Now for the not so fun bit & I need some help on this, has anyone got any suggestions for dealing with this damned insomnia?! Up until a week ago I thought I had it sorted, I was getting 4-5 hours straight sleep and it felt like that would just slowly extend as I got back to normal. However, in the last week I've gone downhill again and the most sleep I can get without waking ( often wide awake for half an hour plus) is around 2 hours. I don't want to have to throw the clock away and start sleeping at strange hours again just to try and keep "normal"! In terms of meds, outside of my normal meds all I'm taking is tramadol now; usually 50mg every 6hrs during the day and 100mg at night, adding in more during the day if pain increases. So, @Jaycey or anyone else - ideas would be greatly appreciated as this feels like my last big hurdle to crack so I can get back to normal life. Thank you

Have a great recovery day & lets hope this wonderful UK weather improves so I can get outside again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Hi @AndyH99 Sorry to hear that you are having problems sleeping.I think a lot of us on here go through this as sometime or another.Have you tried meditation specifically aimed at insomniacs ? Headspace currently have an ap which may be of interest.I recently bought a kindle paper light for the nights I can't sleep which means that I can read without disturbing my husband or getting out of bed.Good luck in finding a solution and I am looking forward to hearing about your review with the OS.
 
Just got caught up with your recovery! Since I'm back to work, even tho it"s mostly at home, my sleep has improved. Getting up early and the getting ready routine must have re-set my circadian clock. I am more active too which definitely helps. Like after your beautiful long walk! I still wake up but the staying awake time is much shorter.
as for the gym, have thought about going a couple times but haven't made it yet. Like you said, for a little bike and a little upper body. By the time I can wear regular clothes I need to be able to fit into them!
Seat cushion. For sure not the donut. Just a pillow still gave me the butt bone pain so I thought the donut would be right. It was cheap and even if only mildly inflated I feel like I'm on a water bed rolling around. I think the memory foam wheelchair type pad sounds good.
another back to work tip. Set a timer for breaks on the hour. Too easy to get wrapped up and sit for too long. Nice to get caught up. Keep up the recovery!
 
Oh @AndyH99, I am so sorry your sleep patterns have taken a nose dive. Whe you go back for your checkup,, I would definitely mention your sleeping problems. They may be able to prescribe something for you. I know it will be another med added to your list, but if it gives you some long needed rest, it may be worth it. Good luck with your appt. I hope all goes well for you.
BTW.. Someone mentioned, I think it was @Cynthia777, that some of us may suffer from a form of PTSD, following this this major surgery and trauma to our bodies. It makes perfect sense to me. My DR prescribed a fast acting anxiety medication for me, for the nights I wake up with my heart racing and find it hard to get back to sleep. I've only had to use it twice, so far, but it works for me. I only feel a little groggy when I get up. Food for thought, my dear.
Have a great day!
 
@AndyH99

I've always read that our bodies do the most healing while we sleep, so this insomnia can't be doing you any good!
I agree with @Nana757, maybe temporarily you can ask your doctor for something to help get your sleep pattern restored?
When my daughter was born, she didn't sleep through the night until she turned 7 years old (and I promise I am not exaggerating)! Needless to say, my sleep pattern went to you know where. I tried every sleeping potion known to man (including prescription sleeping pills), to no avail. FINALLY, several years ago, my physician put me on Trazadone 100 mg and Xanax .5 (low dose) at bedtime. For the first time in many many years, I didn't wake up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. He explained that the Xanax helped put me to sleep and the Trazadone kept me asleep. It's been a lifesaver for years and I've never needed to up the dosage.
I hope this helps Andy....:-)
 
Sounds like you are making great progress. I hope you have a great check up. I started sleeping a lot better after my 6 week check up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom