Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AndyH99, here's to starting new books! Good for you! Sending wishes for a quick recovery from your cold so that you can enjoy your gym. :)
 
Good day one and all,

I thought I'd wander by as it's coming up to six months post op for me, how time flies.

Things are going well, I'm working full time and starting to do the longer journeys with minimal issues (i.e. a few odd aches), the gym work is coming along slowly, but then I'm being deliberately cautious as the strength rebuilds. Quite often I can go long periods of time without remembering I have had the hips replaced so I can't ask for a better outcome on that front.

There are a few minor issues such as an IT band issue on one side and for some strange reason I find myself shifting my weight more to one side than the other - no pain or anything triggering it, more a subconscious shift. The one real annoyance is the damned cold, the right hip doesn't seem bothered but if the cold gets into the left hip it's time for pain killers and a hot water bottle for a while. But if that is all I ever have an issue with I'm not going to complain.

I hope all my fellow hippies and smarties are healing well and enjoying life. Personally getting my hips done is the best step I ever took, even knowing all the challenges and pain I'd do it again if I had to, to get this outcome.

Have a great healing day, trust the mantras and have fun when you can

Andy
 
Great update @AndyH99 ! By any chance do you have any lower back issues on your left side. My back complains when it is cold as well. A bit of core stability exercises might address this.
 
Thank you for the update @AndyH99 It great to know that there is quality life after double. I guess the joints just won't give up the need to ache when cold. Looking forward to being able to complain about it and apply a bit of heat. Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Hi Andy! you are sounding like you are enjoying life and that is what it's all about! I was literally just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how the return to work was going. Now I know! Ahhhh, life after surgery, isn't it grand?
Based on my own experiences with my back I would have to chime in and agree with Jaycey in regards to core strengthening and flexibility exercises.
So so, so SO good to hear from you! :loveshwr:
 
@Jaycey

Hi, strangely no back pain at all nor knees or anything posture related is aching or leaping out at me. I've even bought new shoes to check the wear pattern and nothing is showing up. The only thing showing anything is the stationary bike work, I have quite a nice bike and it gives me power ratios for each leg and the left is showing as on average 5-7% weaker on the bike. I'm trying to isolate the strengthening work to see if that helps but that will take a month or two. If I solve it I'll let the forum know how and why.

I've found an alternate heat route for my hip as well, there is a miniature heated blanket I've seen that I'm going to try. Could be rather handy and wrap around for those really annoying bone cold days.

Have fun

Andy


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
So happy to hear from you @AndyH99 and that you are getting on with life. I, too, occasionally have to deal with IT issues. But, in the grand scheme of things, it's just a tiny bump in the road and so minor, I feel it's nothing I can't deal with. I just do my stretches and take of couple of Motrin and move on. I keep thinking, eventually it will calm down. Hope it does for you, as well. Happy New Year!
 
Thanks for posting your update @AndyH99. I just had first THR and am going for second as soon as possible. It is great to hear about how you can go awhile and not even think about your replacements! Seems so distant to me right now! Hope your IT issues improve soon. Congrats on your 6 month anniversary. Keep warm!
 
Andy, it's so great to hear how well you are doing. I am in total agreement with you regarding the cold weather! Holy moly does it create deep bone aches!! Wasn't prepared for it, but this too shall pass. Lol! I went out dancing this past weekend and had so much fun. Kinda forgot all about the hip until the next day....I used muscles that haven't been used in a year apparently. Haha! I, too, am loving my new life. Best decision ever! Nothing great comes easily. Keep up the fantastic progress my fellow Hippie! Cheers to 2016 being unstoppable!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy,

Congrats on 6 months! I haven't been on forum for 4 wks. due to a new job.... Yeah, cold aches in my hips 4 months post op! Hang in there! Hope u r doing well today
 
Checking on you Andy! I am so glad to see you are doing well....same here! Yes, I still use a heating pad. I don't know if I need, but it sure is great in this cold weather! My PT(back during summer recovery) said,"If it feels good, then do it"
 
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on, but with my check up tomorrow (the 6 month check got delayed a bit) I got the urge to see how everyone is doing. From my perspective life is brilliant now, whilst I'm careful not to do some of the potentially damaging activities of former years I'm in the gym on a regular basis, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine as much as possible and going through long periods where I actually forget I've had my hips done. Hopefully it will stay that way for many a year! There have been a couple of pain points along the way e.g. my first emergency stop in the car tweaked things, but nothing that's debilitated me for more than a couple of days and the sticks are gathering a nice layer of dust. Fingers crossed everything looks ok in the check up tomorrow.

Hope you're all as well as possible and have a great healing day

Andy
 
Great update @AndyH99 ! So glad you are seeing the benefits from your surgery! Do let us know how your follow-up goes.
 
Hi @AndyH99 good to hear from you and happy things are going so well for you! Let us know how your check-up goes.:)
 
Hi @AndyH99 , I'm so glad I found your posts! I have a question regarding the gym. Are you able to do leg exercises now? As in the leg press? I've been reading that the leg press can shorten the life of our hip replacements. Thank you for your input!
 
@StaceyJG1

Hi,

Despite having no restrictions placed on me by the surgeons I've made some careful changes in my gym work from my old powerlifting days. I still squat and leg press but I keep the weights relatively light and restrict my range of motion to just above the 90 degree mark, I've even managed to comfortably deadlift again by switching to sumo style. I'm also utilising bodyweight work, kettlebells, hammers and other fun stuff to keep it varied and interesting. I know some people who have gone back to regular full range of motion doing really heavy stuff but from seeing the results of their experiences I'm not going to risk my hips now they are working so well nor would I personally advise anyone to do so. At the end of the day your surgeon, physio and the common sense Angel on your shoulder are your best friends for your personal situation. As numerous people told me early on, if it hurts don't do it.

I hope that helps

Andy

Ps - I still miss lifting the heavy stuff some days but the little voice in my ear likes my shiny hips better [emoji56]

Pps - I almost missed one bit, I've never seen the bit about leg press wearing out the implant, the only thing I was told categorically not to do was repetitive impact style exercises eg jogging or kicking a heavy punch bag lots.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom