Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AndyH99
Your recovery thread is amazing!!! Congrats. Amazing story. Appreciate the honesty. I spent 90 mins. Tonight reading and found myself laughing, oohing, awhhingg, and very encouraged! Blessings to u and your wife Andy. Continued success. I go under the bilatersl knife on 9-29. Kindest regards. Very best continued recovery this month.
 
Good day one and all,

@Kim22, @pacmac , @Nana757, @Cynthia777 & @Medfordart - thank you for the thoughts and ideas on the sleep issues, I'm going to talk to the Dr either later today or tomorrow to see what they can do for me. I'm also wondering now if the length of my sedation has a link to my ability to sleep. It seems that past 5am in the morning I can sleep normally and wake fully refreshed, but at normal night time I wake every 2 hours. Given I was under sedation for 5 hours and basically out for almost 6 till I woke up I'm wondering if that is linked to a shift in my circadian rhythm and causing part of the problem. I just need to do some research now and see if there's a link or fix.

@topgun & @copsham - thank you, your comments are greatly appreciated. My intent from the thread was to serve as a journal for me so I had a record I could look back on, but also to act as a "pay it forwards" approach to try and give back to all those who need the information and repay in some small way those who helped me.

News from the shoes - as in OMG I managed a real pair of shoes and did the laces up myself!! Small things and I limited the bending by putting the foot on a small stool, but it all counts.

I went food shopping with my wife for the first time since May yesterday, it felt so good to not be a chocolate teapot and go out as a normal person again doing such things. Plus we try and make it fun as a couple doing things like that, though I must admit I wasn't allowed to trolley surf this time . The only thing that spoilt it was I tweaked my hip as I slipped getting back into the car, but no matter, pain will pass. To cap it all I even managed to cook a bit more over the last couple of days, I made my wife her favourite caraway seed cake and a rather spicy chicken, chorizo and pasta dish last night. At last I'm closing in on human again, not long now and I'll be complaining about the washing up just like everyone else - lol.

Thank you everyone for making the journey easier so far, may you all have fantastic healing days with no pain or stress and plenty of love, laughter and friendship to help you along the way



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@AndyH99
I love to cook and that spicey chicken reciepe u just mention sounds delicious... i would love that receipe when u have time if possible????

ThanksDanny
 
Congrats. Your thread has given me courage. My bilateral 9-29. Now 6 days is forever......Glad work is busy....I have lost 21.5 lbs ......Not the 30 the crossfit PA wanted but a good start.......Amazed how I have gone from 2 sport college athlete as well and 6 yrs ARMY Guard......to me.
Keeping hope floats in the fridge ........
Continued wellness Andy. Prayers of healing for others having surgery.
All y'all are so funny and encouraging.
:bolt::thumb:
 
@jettaboi73 no problem, it's very simple, contents are

Diced chicken breasts
Thin sliced chorizo
Crushed garlic
Diced onion
Crushed black peppercorns
Thin sliced mild chilli
Passata
Personal choice of pasta - we like the large penne for this one

Cooking is simple as well

Chorizo, garlic, onion and pepper in a large frying pan to get things started. Once you start getting some colour weeping from the chorizo I throw in the chicken. Once the chicken is almost done I add the passata and turn the heat down quite low to let it simmer and reduce as the chicken finishes. As for the chilli, add into the mix sooner for more heat or leave it till the passata has reduced a little for weaker. You can leave this bubbling for quite a while if need be, just add a little water to slow the reduction but be careful of the chilli strength Pasta is just pasta , dish when ready.

Nice bit is you can do the same dish as a casserole and add a few more choice ingredients if you get the urge, we do it in a slow cooker in the winter.

Enjoy


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@AndyH99
Hey man
Thans for the reciepe gonna try it tonight..
Man i was actually able to get my foot up far enough to get my sock on like a regular person.... been a cpl yrs since i was able to do that...as a guy and from reading your threads i know you know how i feel. Thanks soooo much for your encouragement..

Danny
 
Hi @AndyH99 , I just caught up with your thread. Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping. I wonder if it's linked to the meds.? I've noticed now that I'm off of them I am sleeping through the night. When I was taking them I felt like my subconscious mind would wake me up on schedule. I had to go back on the pain killers after my first attempt to quit them, too. Your body will know when you're ready.

Glad to hear you are enjoying walks and going grocery shopping again. I think it really helps to get back into a normal routine. The more things like that I do, the happier I feel.

Keep us posted! Great reading...
 
Good day one and all,

I hope everyone's recoveries and preparations are going well. Wherever you are in the cycle don't forget to take a look out the window on occasion at how beautiful the world is around you, even now I'm finding that resets my thinking when I take the time to stand and stare.

I was due to have my post op review with my OS on Wednesday this week and they phoned me late morning to cancel. I was not pleased to say the least but such is life and I've pushed onwards anyway.

I've taken my first drive this week and that was rather unusual being out on the road again. It's going to take a bit of getting used to but hopefully not too much of a problem & I'll enjoy the freedom again. The best part of this is that I can finally go and say goodbye to my mother now. I've not mentioned before but whilst I was in hospital my mother passed and I couldn't get over for the funeral, so now at last I can make that trip. A sad time, but one that will release a lot of pent up emotion!

Walks around the park and shops continue with a variation of one and two sticks dependent on how good I was feeling. I even managed a careful couple of 100yds with no aids at all so all good.

Now for the not so fun bit, withdrawal from the pain meds. I'm on the 2nd day of cutting out my tramadol completely. Good news is when I finally got to sleep I slept almost 5hrs straight. Downside is that the withdrawal symptoms are rather unpleasant, I'm wondering how many symptoms I can cram into just a couple of days - but so far I have;
Mood swings and quite emotional crying for no reason (yes I am a bloke - go figure!)
Nausea & sickness
Cold/flu symptoms
Restless legs
Loose BM
Passing a large volume of fluid
Hypersensitive skin
Cold sweats & shakes
Inability to sleep
Joint and muscle pain

The only thing that's helped so far is some lemsip and that's only taken the edge off. So be warned, if you are unlucky you can get the withdrawal symptoms. I feel sorry for my neighbour, he's been on them for over a year after his mini hip and only now is trying to kick them!

With luck I'll be back at work the week after next, so will have to prep my work kit next week and sort my comfy chair pad. But upwards and onwards as they say

Have a great healing day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy
Soooo sorry to hear about your mothers passing.. if u need anything please dont hesitate to ask . I lost my dad 20 yrs ago and there isnt a day that goes by i dont think about him so i know what your going thru.
 
Oh Andy! I am so sorry to hear about your Mother's passing. Of course you have pent up emotions! Can only imagine how important this trip will be for you. Is it scheduled anytime soon?

Boo on the withdrawals to tramadol- my first question is what else are you taking? Are some of the aches and pains related to withdrawal or are they symptoms of needing some form of pain relief?
I am sure that you are, but just in case you aren't, are you following a weaning/phased chart as suggested by your Dr?
Speaking of Dr..... they cancelled your appt? Did they offer you anything soon in compensation? I guess they don't realize how important those follow up appts are for us.
You've got several things going on.. take care of yourself, as you always do. You are a good example of taking your time and letting your body do it's job with the recovery process.
Back to work in 2 weeks..You have done very well!!!!
 
Hopefully we'll be taking the trip in the next couple of weeks, she's due to be interred beside my dad at the base of their tree so we'll likely head over for that all being well.

As for the withdrawals, I'm keeping up the paracetamol to take some of the edge off from the symptoms. In relation to hip pains and muscle aches from the surgical work, there is almost nothing there which is what makes it even more annoying to cope with. I haven't got a weaning chart from the GP, I've just cut down to 50mg doses during the last week and felt good enough to cut them out a couple of days ago so I had the time to get this stage out of the way whilst I'm still off work.

I'm still waiting to hear from the OS again, sadly they don't move that quickly in the UK at times so I suspect it will be a few weeks before I hear from them again. Hopefully I can just keep plodding slowly on till them.

Phased return to work here I come. Funny thing about that though, I asked our HR team if they could organise a cushion for my chair on my return (I gave them the details). I now have an online assessment to do, then an appointment with an occupational health team to assess my needs then they will consider what I need. Made me laugh as all I wanted was a cheap cushion. Time for Amazon I think.
 
@AndyH99 - poor you. That is so sad your Mum passed away and you couln't go to the funeral. I feel for you. I lost my Dad in 2013 and couldn't take about some thing I would have liked to talk about. But I make sure I have only lots of good memories of him - like canooing on the Bavarian lakes with him (canooing was his favourite hobby), long walks in the Alpes, him helping me with my maths and physics at school...
Do take care and keep healthy - Constanze
 
@Chrickethip
You are such a sweet person and i have really enjoyed reading your post... have you had your surgery sorry pain meds havent worn off as of yet.. lol
If not the very best of luck and sending prayers and good thoughts your way...

Danny
 
Hi @AndyH99
Life can be sad as well as wonderful. I am sorry to hear about your mother and I hope you can get to their tree before you go back to work. Looking out of the window rings a positive note for me. Where I live, on a hill we have beautiful view of surrounding country side. I love watching the surrounding wildlife and country side. Look after yourself - feel your emotions and be kind to yourself. I must say that through the hip process I learnt to be able to be vulnerable, such a revelation, makes life easier to recognise and feel it! I think I spent most of my life avoiding it. Take care Andy!
 
@AndyH99
My goodness. You have done so well. So sorry for the passing of your mom. Hope u have a great visit.
Your post have been so encouraging and the details sprinkled with humor are so uplifting. Sending up prayers for u Andy. I know you will get through this. Time does heal the heart. I lost my mother and father many years ago.
Thank you for sharing your heart and recovery.
Many prayers for u. My kids and I are going to pray for u before sleep tonight!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.
You have my sympathies.
As we speak I had to fly out of state because mom is in an ICU with heart problems; it's day to day.
But regardless of outcome I'm so thankfull that I could make the trip.
 
Hi @AndyH99, I always enjoy reading your updates. So sorry about your mom. Mine just passed in May. It's traumatic. I'm sure she's glad that you had your hips done.

I was interested to read about your withdrawal symptoms. I was on tramadol, too. It all takes time. Glad to hear that you are sleeping better, though. Sleep is so healing.

Take care of yourself, and keep us posted...
 
@AndyH99 I am so sorry to hear about your Mom - my sincere condolences for your loss.

And drat about the doctor's office cancelling your appointment! I hope they will get you in quickly.

As for the withdrawal symptoms - UGH! That does not sound like fun at all!
 
Sorry about your mum mate. Feel bad I missed that. I actually found it best to go to a place my mum loved and was able to say to her I hope she was as happy now as she was there. Good luck with OT and make the most of it. Oh BTW its fine for a guy to get misty as they are facing the turmoil, nought wrong with emotions.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom