Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dog lover's recovery page

Status
Not open for further replies.
DL, you can do those heel slides in bed or in a recliner stretched all the way out. HOME--ain't it grand to get back! And the heat is really something else. Had to pick up yard very early yesterday morning--all we got were winds up to 40mph--not the really bad stuff a little further north. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
A trick I used for heel slides in rehab, and the PT said he was going to use this with other patients when he saw me do it, was to put the package of wipes under my foot. If I was sitting with foot on floor, it easily slid on the carpet. If in bed, it slides on the sheet without making my heel sore from the friction. A plastic bag works also I'm told.
 
Just checking on you--hope the afternoon storms didn't cause any damage or problems for you. I'll have some stuff to pick up out of the yard in the early am before the heat sets in again, but nothing like what I had Saturday. Temp really did drop--wish it would stay down. I dread thinking what my utility bill will be for this month. But on the positive side--I've got great knees that will let me do all this clean up work without a whimper. Take care.
 
Just checking on you--hope the afternoon storms didn't cause any damage or problems for you. I'll have some stuff to pick up out of the yard in the early am before the heat sets in again, but nothing like what I had Saturday. Temp really did drop--wish it would stay down. I dread thinking what my utility bill will be for this month. But on the positive side--I've got great knees that will let me do all this clean up work without a whimper. Take care.


Had my first outpatient Pt session today. She said I was ahead of where I should be at two weeks (tomorrow). Yeah. Came home and slept for three hours. Exhausted. How could that make me so tired. Oh well. Still very sore but doing ok. Hope all is well with everyone.

Lisa
 
I used a poly pocket under my heel both on the bed and carpet to do heel slides
 
One little trick that helped me was to hook a towel around my ankle and GENTLY pull it backwards. I didn't overdo it; I just went to the point of discomfort and no further. Later on, I used exer-bands and did the same thing on my bed. Sometimes I would lay on my stomach and loop the band around my ankle with my feet up in the air---I would GENTLY pull the leg towards my hamstring---again, to the point of discomfort, no further.
 
One little trick that helped me was to hook a towel around my ankle and GENTLY pull it backwards. I didn't overdo it; I just went to the point of discomfort and no further. Later on, I used exer-bands and did the same thing on my bed. Sometimes I would lay on my stomach and loop the band around my ankle with my feet up in the air---I would GENTLY pull the leg towards my hamstring---again, to the point of discomfort, no further.


Thx very much.
 
The key is to be GENTLE (Did I emphasize GENTLE?). I would do my heal slides on the floor and then I would get on the bed---I would either hold one knee up in the air and pull gently to stretch the quad or lay on my stomach and pull gently to stretch the quad that way.
 
Sitting on our screened porch until it gets too hot to sit here. It makes me feel like I'm outside and living
Life and not home bound. Although yesterday I did go to lowes and walk the store twice on my crutches with a brief rest on the Patio furniture. It went well although I felt like I had to concentrate on walking and NOT looking around AND it was at a turtle's pace.

Going to OS today for first post op visit. Hope all goes well

Happy Friday to all.
 
I have a question!

I will be three weeks post op tomorrow for BTKR and am wondering if it is normal (whatever that is) to still have a good bit of pain? I am still taking all my pain meds and icing. I just went for a little walk at the grocery store using the cart as my walking aide. It went well but gosh my knees really hurt. Am I a sissy or just going through the normal process at this point in my recovery? I think I have a pretty high pain threshold, but maybe I'm wrong.

Wondering how others are at this point in time.

Thanks
Lisa :puppysmooze:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
Lisa, why are you out shopping at the grocery store? It's not your knees that hurt--they metal and plastic and have no feeling. It is bone, soft tissue, muscles, tendons, and ligaments that are hurting. And YES, YES, YES it is perfectly "normal" for you to have pain. You are ONLY 21 days post op. Consider that this recovery takes at least 365 days---that means you are 21/365 of the way along---that leaves you 344/365 to go----that's MOST of the way.



[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
You cannot compare BTKR to other surgeries in which folks are pretty much back to "normal" and doing all they were doing before surgery in a couple or three weeks. It is going to be 4 to 6 months before you feel anything like "normal". We keep trying to get you to understand that this is a marathon not a sprint. It is going to take TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE and then some more TIME & PATIENCE.


[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
You are going to have to step back and take a very very deep breath and dig down very very deep to find the PATIENCE to give yourself the TIME you're going to need to heal. And you CAN do it, and if you DO it, IT WILL GET BETTER AND BETTER!
 
Lisa, If you're a sissy then you're taking us all with you! And of course you have a very high threshold for pain, that's why you took so long to get your new knees! We all wait until we're at the breaking point before we finally make the decision to get our new knees! That being said, now that you have your new knees you must ease up on yourself and recovery will come with patience and exercise, slowly! It will be 6 wks for me this Friday and I just ventured out to the grocery store yesterday for the first time. Did my muscles and tendons, etc. feel it, oh yes they did! They let me know that it will still be a while before they are healed enough not to let me know that they are still angry! Am I a whimp? I don't think so, however I do know that I'm not in charge right now, my knees are and they are calling the shots! And so are your new knees calling the shots Lisa!:thumb: Stay positive and massage your new knees as often as you can, they'll love you for it!:friends:
 
Than,s for your comments. I was basically ouT "shopping" for my mental health and for some actual walking exercise in air conditioning which I think I needed. Yes, patience and I don't know each other very well. Am working on that. :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze:
 
Lisa, If you're a sissy then you're taking us all with you! And of course you have a very high threshold for pain, that's why you took so long to get your new knees! We all wait until we're at the breaking point before we finally make the decision to get our new knees! That being said, now that you have your new knees you must ease up on yourself and recovery will come with patience and exercise, slowly! It will be 6 wks for me this Friday and I just ventured out to the grocery store yesterday for the first time. Did my muscles and tendons, etc. feel it, oh yes they did! They let me know that it will still be a while before they are healed enough not to let me know that they are still angry! Am I a whimp? I don't think so, however I do know that I'm not in charge right now, my knees are and they are calling the shots! And so are your new knees calling the shots Lisa!:thumb: Stay positive and massage your new knees as often as you can, they'll love you for it!:friends:

Thanks very much Jacky. Just not a sit still kind of girl.
 
Hi all

I'm almost 30 daus put from bilateral knees and oild like to hear from those of you who,may have had similar issues please

So out of the clear blue this week I keep experiencing intermittent nausea. It's awful, even debilitating. I have taken zofran which was prescribed for that. Not sure Iif it's working or not.

I've not changed anything yet, but now am trying to skip a dose of MS Contin and wean off of that and just use Tylenol and dilaudid which it what my OS wants me to do.

Not sure what to do, my appetite
isn't great but am trying to eat or at least drink a protein shake with my pills.

PT is going well. I have good ROM just feel bad with this sick stomach.

Thanks for your advice.
 
i've heard other occasional people with the same out of the blue nausea. It happened to me this week at 6 weeks, two weeks after I stopped taking the oxycontin and stopped needing the zofran. I'm still taking Percocet. I tried switching some doses to tramadol, but that made me sleepy. At this point, I don't have pain as much as stiffness and achyness, so I'm cutting back on the Percocet with the goal of getting off it or only using it for occasional doses as needed. Anyway, my nausea went away after a couple of days of cutting out doses of the percoset, and being back on a smaller, spread out dose, seems to be okay. The question is, why nausea now after tolerating it before? I can't answer that one, but I sure sympathize with your tummy!
 
Lisa,

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I reacted so badly to my pain meds that I choose to deal with the pain to get relief from the nausea. I am now afraid to take the narcotics I was sent home on. My PCP did say that the long acting narcotic was the most likely to have started it all. I'll be two months post op next week so the issue is mostly moot now but it was a challenge.

By post op week 2 1/2 I was reacting to my narcotics w/nausea. I ended up going off all narcotics and still had nausea and vomiting. The real bad nausea and vomiting lasted 10 days after I stopped my OxyContin, oxycodone and neurontin. I was on tylenol only because i had to take coumadin for a month. When i was taken off of the coumadin i stated taking NSAIDs. However, The constant vomiting agrivated a gastritis that made taking Motrin and Alieve impossible due to further nausea and epigastric pain.

About a week after the nause and vomiting started i ended up spending an afternoon in the ER for fluids and IV zofran and reglan.

I found that ice water and chewing on ice helped. I ate only when I felt hungry and only what didn't cause nausea thinking about it.
Cold Bananas and cold milk seemed to stay down best of all.
I found that 8 mg of zofran worked better for me than 4. Try one and if you are still nauseous try another. Stick it under your tongue and let it dissolve. It is bitter but seemed to work better faster if let it dissolve. I used to sip ice water after it dissolved to get taste out of my mouth. They made me sleepy, which was good but remember NO DRIVING!
Antacids do help with the nausea. I liked Tums mint flavored best. You can chew them as needed. I tried Guavascon and found it helps w nausea very rapidly but caused bowel cramps and loose BMs. You might not have that reaction.

I researched the NSAIDs and found Celebrex to be reported as the least bad for stomach issues and called my OS office to get a script.
I take 200 mg Celebrex daily and Tylenol for pain. It was hard to get help w this issue, surgeons are not familiar with anti nausea meds and PCP wanted to just let things settle down w antacids and stoping narcotics. The ER visit helped in a number of ways, I stopped the cycle of vomiting w/ rehydration and medication, assured me that nothing serious was wrong and provided evidence to my MDs that I seriously was sick beyond my ability to cope. I don't know what is so special about zofran but I had to call twice to my MD to get more pills. They would only write for 8 pills. I guess they didn't expect I'd have issues for > 2weeks.

I hope you feel better soon. If you do have to come off your narcotics it can be done BUT I don't recommend it as a first choice.

Get the zofran and ice chips,

ChrisO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom