Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dog lover's recovery page

Status
Not open for further replies.
DL,

I had to stop narcotics at about 3 weeks due to nausea & vomiting. I then did in my gut with NSAIDs and continued to throw up till week 5-6. Things finally turned around with anti nausea meds and limiting NSAIDs to one Celebrex day @ 6 weeks. I have to say i think the nausea and vomiting was worse physicaly and emotional than most of my pain. The only pain that made me cry was post op day 3 when i was pulled up off of toilet and almost fell. When I finally went to the ER with nausea and vomiting I was depressed, scared, desperate for help and in tears.

Oh my. I totally understand what you are talking about. I am on my third day of feeling human since the NAUSEA has dissipated. Two plus weeks of hat and I couldn't function. My problem was probably all the aspirin they had me on for DVT Prophylaxis. I am now taking only Tylenol and probably not enough for the pain I am still in. I take 650 three times a day. See the OS next week. Will ask him. I was in tears to with the nausea. Can't function with it. Glad you too are better.

I really want to know when I can walk without a lot of,pain in my knees. I think I am at the stage of hitting the wall. My PT says a lot,of,people hit it. I just want to be better.

Thanks for your reply.

Ice helps, elivation helps, Tylenol keeps the heat out of the knee but frankly my knees hurt. They often wake me up and I am often frozen in pain when I get ready to take the first steps. I have just finished week 9 and the only thing I take is 1000 mg Tylenol in am and before bed plus Celebrex 200 mg every pm.

I try to keep going and just put up with the discomfort. Nights are the worst.

ChrisO
 
I am curious as to when those with bilaterals and/or those with RTKR started driving?

I am approaching 7 weeks and haven't started yet. I have just started using a cane, and it's still pretty difficult, I can't do stairs that well.

I see the OS this Tuesday and am hoping for his ok

I think I would be ok driving. Would practice, though.

Thx.
 
DL, I had first knee done Oct. 24th, the second Oct. 27th and was walking [Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page unassisted Nov. 13---the 21st day after my first surgery. I am of the opinion that I was generally ahead of the curve in being able to do this so soon. I was driving
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
by week 5 (a couple of very short trips) and drove myself to my 6 weeks checkup, but was not comfortable for longer trips until about 12 weeks post op.


However, these two things are patient specific. It depends entirely on whether your knee is ready for either activity and if you feel confident and comfortable about doing either.
 
I've finally been able to do a full forward rotation on a bike, have driven, and have climbed the 16 stairs inside our home. Since all of this, and a pretty intense PT session a day ago, my knees have started clicking. Of course, they weren't doing this when I saw my OS day before yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't like the way it feels. My knes used to click preop sometimes. I took it easy yesterday and iced, but am experiencing same today.

Thank you
Lisa.
 
Yeah, that clicking thing I found got worse for weeks. Uncomfortable but not painful. Been in decline now for some months, not quite gone away but much reduced. I think it's the ligaments etc just 'bedding in'.
 
I had a BTKR and I began to drive---very little trips here and there---about six weeks after my surgical date. I was off of the pain meds and my legs were strong enough to do what I needed to do---including an emergency brake.

AS for the clicking, that is all quite normal, as your knee has been replaced with metal and plastic. I heard both of mine at times---it seemed like stereo---but now, I believe that my muscles have strengthened to the point that i do not here it---or I have become too desensitized to it!!:loll:

As for walking without a cane, it was at about seven weeks, as I can remember going to my parents' home for Christmas, and I tossed the cane into the car and never used it to get out of the car---or for anything thereafter!
 
I'm a week later than you and I have not given up pain meds. I take 1 1/2 5/325 hydroodone at 8-9 pm. Sleep most of night. If I wake up around 3 or 4 I will take one or 1/2 pill. Before therpy I take 1 1/2- 2 pills. Rest of dat I take 1/2 pill every 5-6 hrs with maybe n extra strength tylenol. I may be having MUA so don't know if I'm going to need more pain control or if it will be the same
 
I am about eight weeks, doing really well, taking Tylenol and aleve, icing a lot and going to PT. BUT....... I find I still have enough edema in both knees that it inhibits walking with a good bend.

Is this edema ever going to go away? Do others suffer from this at this stage? I really think if the edema would go down, the pain will improve and I will walk better.

Thx.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
The swelling will eventually go away. You're just 2 months post op in a recovery that takes 12 months--so that's just 1/6th of the way down the road. There's still a lot of healing going on on the inside. Just 'cause the incision looks all healed and pretty doesn't mean all that stuff on the inside we can't see is all well too.


And you're right---when the swelling goes down, the pain will also go, the bend will increase, and walking will be much easier. So just keep elevating and icing. Take stronger pain meds if necessary--being in pain is not conducive to healing. Watch your activity level---you may be doing more than you realize.

TIME & PATIENCE----TIME & PATIENCE----TIME & PATIENCE----this is what it's going to take no matter what we do. So just plan to take the time and somehow find the patience. YOU CAN DO IT!
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
The swelling will eventually go away. You're just 2 months post op in a recovery that takes 12 months--so that's just 1/6th of the way down the road. There's still a lot of healing going on on the inside. Just 'cause the incision looks all healed and pretty doesn't mean all that stuff on the inside we can't see is all well too.


And you're right---when the swelling goes down, the pain will also go, the bend will increase, and walking will be much easier. So just keep elevating and icing. Take stronger pain meds if necessary--being in pain is not conducive to healing. Watch your activity level---you may be doing more than you realize.

TIME & PATIENCE----TIME & PATIENCE----TIME & PATIENCE----this is what it's going to take no matter what we do. So just plan to take the time and somehow find the patience. YOU CAN DO IT!
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page


Thanks for the reminder. Patience is often a luxury I don't have. Thanks for the reminder.
 
I am wondering if anyone has experience taking ultram or tramadol? I am currently only taking Advil and Tylenol and with the level of activity I have now, my pain just isn't getting any better. I am still having edema in both knees despite ice, etc. I called my OS and asked for suggestions BUT will not take any narcotics as they made me so sick early on. So, his nurse called and said he suggested ultram. When I researched the drug it says it is opiate LIKE. I'm a nurse and not really sure what that means.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who may have taken this drug.

Thx
Lisa.
 
Opiate-like means just that. It is a medication that is not derived from opiates (which can make some people sick) that performs similar pain relief to an opiate drug. I suggest you give it a try since the Advil and Tylenol are not working for you. Can you tell me how much of the Advil and Tylenol you have been taking and how often? That could be part of the problem as well because you will need to take a fairly large dose on a set schedule for it to really be effective for this type of pain.
 
Opiate-like means just that. It is a medication that is not derived from opiates (which can make some people sick) that performs similar pain relief to an opiate drug. I suggest you give it a try since the Advil and Tylenol are not working for you. Can you tell me how much of the Advil and Tylenol you have been taking and how often? That could be part of the problem as well because you will need to take a fairly large dose on a set schedule for it to really be effective for this type of pain.

I am taking 600 mg of advil 3 x day and 1000 mg of Tylenol 3 x daily
 
I've been on tramadol since I came off morphine post op. I was on the short acting tramadol every 6 hours, but pain tended to come back after about 4 hours so there was a gap between doses. After my fall, had a lot of trouble controlling pain. They have since put me on the long acting tramadol....I take it twice a day. Just before bed and as soon as I wake up. It's working great. It does make me a bit mentally fuzzy. Dont recognise that until I try to do work, then I struggle a bit mentally from the drug. But for pain relief I'm very happy with it.
 
I've been on tramadol since I came off morphine post op. I was on the short acting tramadol every 6 hours, but pain tended to come back after about 4 hours so there was a gap between doses. After my fall, had a lot of trouble controlling pain. They have since put me on the long acting tramadol....I take it twice a day. Just before bed and as soon as I wake up. It's working great. It does make me a bit mentally fuzzy. Dont recognise that until I try to do work, then I struggle a bit mentally from the drug. But for pain relief I'm very happy with it.

Thanks so much DL. I haven't pick up the prescription yet, so m not sure which does he has prescribed. I can't take it if it make me loopy as I am driving now and hope to be back to work, at least on a very part time basis.

I hope you continue to feel great! Give that cute little one a big hug for me!
 
I'm wondering when those who have had bilaterals returned to work? Of course, for those who are still working.....I know there are many variables, but just interested to see the timeframe in which others have returned.

I see my surgeon Thursday and I am hoping he lets me return to work. I am just at the 12 week point. I still go to PT twice a week, pool PT once a week. My ROM on both legs is good. I still get edema and have difficulty with weight bearing activities after about 10 minutes. Walking without a cane, just started that, about 15 minutes outside, in which the last 5 minutes are pretty uncomfortable, dare I say painful. I'm only taking ibuprofen for pain, as I can't tolerate anything else from a GI perspective.

Having said all that, I need to return to work, but was really thinking I would be in a better place than I actually am. I know I am doing well, just wish the pain and/or discomfort was better. I enjoyed the conversation WHAT IS PAIN AND WHAT IS DISCOMFORT!

Thank you
Lisa.
 
Well, it's not automatic, but it is highly likely. Just be prepared to have the full body pat down or do the scan thing. They don't care if you have a note from your doc or that you have scars in the right place---if you set the alarm off, you get the real deal---so be prepared.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom