Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dog lover's recovery page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I'm almost 30 daus put from bilateral knees and oild like to hear from those of you who,may have had similar issues please

So out of the clear blue this week I keep experiencing intermittent nausea. It's awful, even debilitating. I have taken zofran which was prescribed for that. Not sure Iif it's working or not.

I've not changed anything yet, but now am trying to skip a dose of MS Contin and wean off of that and just use Tylenol and dilaudid which it what my OS wants me to do.

Not sure what to do, my appetite
isn't great but am trying to eat or at least drink a protein shake with my pills.

PT is going well. I have good ROM just feel bad with this sick stomach.

Thanks for your advice.


You are basically a tad over four weeks---and, while it seems like a long time, you are still early yet. Looking back at my recovery from a BTKR, I was using, at four weeks, crutches like canes and then I migrated to a cane. I was moving very slowly and still on pain meds---Oxycontin. My appetite was pretty poor--some days things would taste good, other days, things didn't have much taste at all. I have to say that I didn't have nausea issues, but I was still feeling like my head was wrapped in a ginormous cotton. ball.

BTKR's can certainly challenge you and your patience (not to mention you disposition) but I will tell you, when it is all said and done (finally!) that you will not regret it and be happy that you decided to have it done that way.
 
I had my BTKR on November 8th of 2007; I couldn't wait to go home---I had been in longer as I had four DVT's that slowed down my PT for a while. I went home on Saturday---I am not sure of the date, but it was the date of the Ohio State/Michigan game---when they were both ranked #1 and #2. The ride home from the hospital was agonizing, to say the least. I cannot remember much of the "game of the century---again---the pain meds did their job and I napped for most of the game.

Thanksgiving was, without a doubt (and my son agrees) the worst Thanksgiving that I ever had; my family went to my parents' while stayed at home on the recliner and slept.

Christmas, at least the weeks before Christmas---were again interesting as I was busy tearing the adhesions in both knees---my son does a great imitation of what I sounded like. I have to say, though, that by Christmas Day, I wasn't not feeling too bad and could around on my own---that would put me at around six weeks I went to the mall with a cane and a handicapped parking sticker. I was having major sleep issues, though!

I thought that by the time I got back to school on January 3rd, that I would be pretty much healed---at just a little under eight weeks. Boy, was I wrong!

The BTKR challenged me in many, many ways---I can remember being where you are and I would stand by the front window and watch the world go by. ROM came very slowly---if it came at all.

I am sorry to read of your nausea---I hope that the meds and your OS as well as your GP can help solve that issue so you can feel better---a BTKR can certainly make you feel miserable enough at times, so I hope the nausea hits the bricks quickly!

Please remember that both of your knees were seriously traumatized by surgery and are still getting calmed down. Hang in there---like I have said before, it was tremendously challenging for me on many levels, but, looking back, I would have done it no other way!
 
I'm still struggling with nausea. So much so that I really can't do anything. Car rides are out, eating limited, computer use no good, tv watching just ok. Not surewhat the cause is, but would appreciate any help. Taking only Tylenol, aspirin for blood clots, one pain pill at night that's not really helping with sleep. Took zofran this morning, ate cereal which made me feel worse and now just tried pesto bismol. Not getting much exercises in. Really need to feel better.
Thanks
Lisa
 
Dog Lover said:
I'm still struggling with nausea. So much so that I really can't do anything. Car rides are out, eating limited, computer use no good, tv watching just ok. Not surewhat the cause is, but would appreciate any help. Taking only Tylenol, aspirin for blood clots, one pain pill at night that's not really helping with sleep. Took zofran this morning, ate cereal which made me feel worse and now just tried pesto bismol. Not getting much exercises in. Really need to feel better.
Thanks
Lisa

That's the worst! I haven't tried it, but ginger has been mentioned to me for nausea. Chewing it, or making ginger tea, or maybe sipping on ginger ale. My grandfather was a pharmacist and I remember knowing from him to get coke syrup from the pharmacy for nausea. Don't think they have it now, but I did sip on a regular coke on one of those days recently. Ideally, stir it to get some of the bubbles out. It helped. What is the pain pill you are taking at night? My understanding on some of these medications is that the nausea comes from the brain rather than the stomach, a neuro thing rather than a stomach tolerance thing. The Oxycontin is one of those, I think, and imagine the Oxycodone in the Percocet works in the same way. It works on the pain receptors in the brain. Have someone go to your pharmacist, or call them on the phone, and ask for there suggestions. They are probably a better source than the doctor on this. Good luck!
 
That's the worst! I haven't tried it, but ginger has been mentioned to me for nausea. Chewing it, or making ginger tea, or maybe sipping on ginger ale. My grandfather was a pharmacist and I remember knowing from him to get coke syrup from the pharmacy for nausea. Don't think they have it now, but I did sip on a regular coke on one of those days recently. Ideally, stir it to get some of the bubbles out. It helped. What is the pain pill you are taking at night? My understanding on some of these medications is that the nausea comes from the brain rather than the stomach, a neuro thing rather than a stomach tolerance thing. The Oxycontin is one of those, I think, and imagine the Oxycodone in the Percocet works in the same way. It works on the pain receptors in the brain. Have someone go to your pharmacist, or call them on the phone, and ask for there suggestions. They are probably a better source than the doctor on this. Good luck!


Thanks very much for the suggestions. The one pill I take for pain is dilaudid. Hoping for a better day today. Keep fingers crossed n
 
HI all.

Rough weekend. Lots of awful nausea which let to some unexplained bouts of crying?.. I've read here that it can be expected and be ready for it. But I gotta tell you I don't like it and want it to move along.

Going to PT this morning, am hoping I am still on track with my recovery. I wasn't able to do much this weekend due to nausea.

I know we can't compare our own recovery, but it is sometimes helpful. I was wondering at what timeline have most bilaterals started ambulating without the help of crutches, etc. I am still very dependent on crutches and couldn't walk without them. As a matter of fact, I was doing some exercise this weekend a felt my right knee buckle. This hasn't happened in the past and felt pretty bad, will discuss with therapy today.

On another note, but scars look awesome. Completely healed. Last week my PT did some "massaging" of the scar tissue that felt horrible and a bit painful, but was told it necessary to break any adhesions. Have others experienced this?

Well, I am at about week five and getting really bored. Don't know how I'm going to entertain myself thsr next few weeks until I'm cleared for driving and work! So glad this forum is here as it does help. Thank you all!

Happy Monday to all

Lisa.
 
I can vouch for Janet's recommendation of ginger. I often use ginger when I have stomach issues. Fresh ginger is the most potent but I also have good results with Traditional Medicinals Ginger Tea. :beer:
[Bonesmart.org] Dog lover's recovery page
 
My BTKR proceeded more slowly than I would have liked it to, as well. I was on a walker for about three weeks;
i then moved to crutches, and slowly learned to use them like two canes. At about six weeks, I was using one cane; i can remember using a cane as I went to the mall and gimped around while I did my Christmas shopping.

While I never actually broke down and cried, I did have bouts of being low, depressed and lonely. It believe part of it was that I wanted to regain my life, and like you, I was getting bored and I would stand at the front window and watch life pass me by.

I think it is important that you just take it one day at a time and not look forward to things---I know that I did and it became frustrating when things that I expected to happen or wanted to accomplish didn't work out according to my schedule.

Once I learned that it was not up to me, but, rather, up to my knees, I began to feel better about the little victoires that I was experiencing.
 
Here are a couple more things that I will weigh in on, too. You are at six weeks, and your clock is telling you that it is time to get a move on. Meanwhile, the knees,which are in charge, are saying, "Hold on thar!" Northern Ohio winters are not very pretty---sos it is not like I had anything pressing to do; it was dark, bleak, and snowy.

You, though, are looking at a different weather situation, and summertime is telling you that you should be out doing things and having fun. The sense of urgency is there, but your knees are not listening. In a way, to be very honest, I was glad that I had my BTKR done as the weather was lousy and I was content to stay indoors for that time.
 
Hi Lisa,
Nausea is just the worse. If you could get that under control I think everything else would be easier to deal with. Did you talk to your doctor about other meds you can take? Or maybe a higher does of Zofran?
 
Hang in there and try to be patient. I know it is hard.
 
Hi Lisa,
Nausea is just the worse. If you could get that under control I think everything else would be easier to deal with. Did you talk to your doctor about other meds you can take? Or maybe a higher does of Zofran?

I did talk to my surgeon whose response was to stop taking the one or two dilaudud that I take! And he did prescribe another anti-emetic phenergan. I took it last night and it knocked me out. I'm thinking the 650 mg of aspirin I'm taking for DVT might be causing it. I'm going to increase my Prevacid to twice a day. I think I only need to take it for one more week.
Yes nausea makes everything else impossible.
Thank you.
 
I'm curious as to what most people who are at about six weeks post op are using for pain control. at this point I am only using Tylenol and ice. I stopped the aspirin due to nausea I'm reluctant to start any NSAIDS yet due to stomach issues.

Thanks.
 
DL, I think most of us were still using narcotic pain meds at the six weeks mark, and most of us probably continued using them to some degree for another six weeks. I was not completely off pain meds until my 3 month check up. After that I used the BoneSmart cocktail-Tylenol and ibuprofen-three times a day for another 3 months. Now, at 9 months post op, I use it whenever I need to.
 
DL, I think most of us were still using narcotic pain meds at the six weeks mark, and most of us probably continued using them to some degree for another six weeks. I was not completely off pain meds until my 3 month check up. After that I used the BoneSmart cocktail-Tylenol and ibuprofen-three times a day for another 3 months. Now, at 9 months post op, I use it whenever I need to.

Thx very much.
 
I was off narcotic pain meds and was just beginning to get behind the wheel at six weeks. I went to the mall and did some Christmas shopping---which thoroughly wiped me out. I was taking either Alleve or some ibuprofen. I was still icing and elevating when I needed to, which was fairly regularly.
 
I'm curious as to what most people who are at about six weeks post op are using for pain control. at this point I am only using Tylenol and ice. I stopped the aspirin due to nausea I'm reluctant to start any NSAIDS yet due to stomach issues.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I was only taking Tylenol at 6 weeks. I'm 8 weeks now and take Tylenol as needed. If it's a lazy day I'm usually ok without it but if I'm out and walking alot I still need to take it.
 
I am at 6 weeks and still take Norco. I have scaled down from 2 every 4 hours, to 1 every 5 to 6 hours, but I am still taking them. My OS suggested I continue especially while still doing PT. I am still doing PT for a couple more weeks to strengthen my right knee before the surgery date for knee #2. I will continue to reduce as the pain permits.
 
DL,

I had to stop narcotics at about 3 weeks due to nausea & vomiting. I then did in my gut with NSAIDs and continued to throw up till week 5-6. Things finally turned around with anti nausea meds and limiting NSAIDs to one Celebrex day @ 6 weeks. I have to say i think the nausea and vomiting was worse physicaly and emotional than most of my pain. The only pain that made me cry was post op day 3 when i was pulled up off of toilet and almost fell. When I finally went to the ER with nausea and vomiting I was depressed, scared, desperate for help and in tears.

Ice helps, elivation helps, Tylenol keeps the heat out of the knee but frankly my knees hurt. They often wake me up and I am often frozen in pain when I get ready to take the first steps. I have just finished week 9 and the only thing I take is 1000 mg Tylenol in am and before bed plus Celebrex 200 mg every pm.

I try to keep going and just put up with the discomfort. Nights are the worst.

ChrisO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom