TKR DLR recovery #2

Hi All,
Just to encourage any new kneebies. This is a rollercoaster of a journey. I am 4 weeks post second TKR. Yesterday was a pain filled day, I wasn’t doing anything specific it was just one of those days everything hurt, lots of zingers and couldn’t find a comfortable position. My poor husband by evening he wondered what he had done wrong as I was grumpy!! I assured him he did nothing wrong I was just so done with the pain... I went to bed expecting a rough night instead I got the gift of my first full night sleep in my own bed instead of the recliner...6 3/4 beautiful hours...
while I don’t love rollercoaster rides, this is what it is on the road to recovery...persevere through the hard parts and celebrate the good gifts!
 
I suspect it is simply the reality of a 10 degree valgus knee being corrected and all the tendons, ligaments and muscles being stretched.
This makes perfect sense. It will take a while to stretch out those large soft tissues.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
:dancy: Accomplished a 1 km walk outside using two crutches and a heel toe walk with a small knee bend to avoid triggering my lateral and back of the knee pain. Loving the sunshine! Now elevating and icing as I feel the swelling coming on.
Taking joy in the little accomplishments
 
Yay. That's a great accomplishment for one month out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Oh my the roller coaster ride continues. My knee is fine from my walk, a few zingers but that may have happened anyways...BUT my back has gone into spasm arggh .
Called my chiropractor he can't see my until Friday... oh well the journey continues :dubious:
 
Thankful to say my back pain eased overnight. Curious if anyone knows whether walking with 2 crutches using a 2 point gait pattern (crutch and opposite leg swing through together as opposed to both crutches then walk through) can cause lower back spasms. Will see chiropractor tomorrow.
 
I’m glad you’re better today!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
I have back issues myself, so I understand. Actually, I’m beginning to think it’s not my back as much as it’s my hips. I fear I have a hip issue developing. :yikes: I’m hoping if I close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears it will go away. :bawl:
 
@DLR
My input on the crutch thing
My gait therapist advised walking one crutch opposite leg torques the lower back oddly as your arms aren’t swinging like normal and you tend to hitch your hip.
Preferred I use 2 crutches forward with bad leg.
Found it used less energy and I stood up straighter and faced forward when I saw the video of it.

Glad to hear the body is settling in.
 
Saw my chiropractor today. He worked on pelvis lower back and glutes.
We had a discussion about the lateral knee / calf pain after a test he agrees with physio that it is a hamstring at the attachment as well as the hamstring adjusting to the new orientation from the correction to my values knee.
 
It sucks you are still hurting but knowing it's soft tissues adjusting to having a straight knee is at least somewhat reassuring. Hope it adjusts soon and you can enjoy that new straight knee! :flwrysmile:
 
@FCBayern thanks. While the pain is fatiguing and unchanged since day 1, I remain hopeful, it’s still early on in my recovery. Mostly I share so perhaps someone else on here going through the same won’t feel so lonely on the journey. My first knee I worried so much something was wrong, this time while I still wish things improved more quickly I am maybe a little bit more patient... or maybe not depends on the moment:heehee:
 
Just read your journey and you are doing fantastic!!!! L
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
@DLR I have been a lurker on many threads here including yours. I learned lots about what to expect after surgery and now I keep learning about all aspects of recovery. You remain so optimistic and your willingness to share that is both a humbling and encouraging message. Thank you.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: DLR

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom