BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] DLR recovery #2

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by DLR, Aug 16, 2018.

1. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :yes!:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yay! Those small victories mean such a lot.

3. winemama

winemama senior

Mine either, she believes better safe than sorry. After all we have been through, 1 pill is nothing

• Like Like x 1
  4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    While some surgeons are still cautious, it really isn't necessary to take antibiotics prior to dental work. The bacteria in your mouth are not the ones usually responsible for joint infections. And the prophylactic use of antibiotics is one of the reasons why we now have so many antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

5. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yay on the tub bath!

• Like Like x 1
  6. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    Battling feeling depressed. While so much is going well, I can’t walk without pain at a level 7. Each step as I bend the knee has the same lateral calf pain since day 1. Physio and chiropractor think it is where the hamstring attaches below the knee. The pain has not changed since day 1 and at 6 weeks I am battling the fears what if this never changes. Sorry..just being real!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    @DLR
    It’s ok
    This is NOT your new normal. My varus correction took 3.5 months to settle behind my knee and I still have moments with it. That knee didn’t get that way overnight. It won’t go away overnight.
    Lmk if you need a shoulder and a hug
    :flwrysmile:

8. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    @traceys thank you!! You don’t know (actually maybe you do) how much I needed your response today

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rather

Rather junior member

@DLR I'm so sorry that you are still battling pain and that the depression dementors are hovering around you. I keep thinking about each of the reductions that got me to the point of surgery - like the proverbial frog in a pot of water slowly heated to boiling, you don't even realize how long your knee has been deteriorating and limiting your life to the point where surgery was the only option. One the one hand, that says that recovery will also take a long time, but recovery will come. Just think about how long it could take that frog to realize that the water is actually getting cooler. Each degree of healing is happening for you, but they are hard to recognize day-by-day and their schedule is unpredictable. Hang in there - we are here for you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
  11. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @DLR Hope you're feeling a bit better today. I can remember feeling in a similar way at 6 weeks over the pain on my lateral knee side, along with a few others, and wondering if this was the new status quo and if I should have left well alone. That week I had to fill in a questionnaire from the hospital about my recovery and had a phone call 2 weeks later asking if I'd like to go and talk to their knee professor, but by 8 weeks there was improvement and I could start to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I still get some pain in that area, which I'm convinced is the ITB band in my case, but it's intermittent and improving all the time. If only I could get rid of the back ache I'd be a happy bunny. Hang on in there, it's early days and I'm sure it will improve. I saw my OS at 8 weeks and he said to expect pain and swelling for 6 months so I'm hanging on to that, although there are days when I'm still impatient and wish the pain free days would hurry up!

12. TimeBuster

TimeBuster member

@DLR Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Hope you're feeling better today.

13. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    @Lindylee thank you for the encouragement and reminders of the long process, I remember my OS saying the same with my first knee, it’s just hard to remember when you’re in pain
    @TimeBuster thank you I appreciate the prayers and thoughts
    Today is a better day...last night we had an indoor campfire due to pouring rain with 11 friends from our small group. The rain was a blessing for me as I could sit in a comfy chair with my leg up. Our friends have a beautiful room overlooking a river valley...it was so nice just to socialize with others...definitely a God given blessing!

• Like Like x 3
  14. beachy

beachy post-grad

That's a BIG triumph!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    It is a beautiful sunny morning here in Ontario. A dear friend reminded me this weekend to be gentle with myself and remember all my body has had to deal with in the past 10 months... dental surgery, knee replacement, 2 cataract surgeries, 2nd dental surgery, appendicitis, 2nd knee replacement, 3rd dental surgery...
    It was a good reminder of why my energy feels low, the body is using it to heal.
    Patience may be a virtue....but I don’t love it ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That’s a lot of healing going on, :wowspring:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rather

Rather junior member

Wow, Diane. Your body is fighting the good fight in the face of many surgical incursions! Find some comfort in the fact that you have a body that will not give up - it keeps moving forward with everything it can to bring you back to great health.

18. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    @Rather thank you... it was a good reminder to myself that I have had a lot of recoveries this past year and my body is working hard to keep ahead.
    Today was a good day I was discharged from in home pt with ROM 125/0. Now I will just keep working on letting my hamstring and IT band attachments at the knee get happy with their new alignment so I can walk more than 400 metres at a time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wow! They are wonderful numbers for less than 2 months out. You are doing so well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    Tomorrow will be 7 weeks. The pain in the lateral calf has improved dramatically. This weekend we hosted a fundraiser for a children’s camp in Northern Ontario while the workload was easy as many teens did the physical work I did spend 10 hours Saturday standing, walking or sitting in a regular chair (no elevating)... what a sense of accomplishment and very little knee swelling! I was exhausted and every muscle in my body hurt lol but my knees did well. We even had overnight guests who stayed on through Sunday afternoon. This week I will rest and elevate to recover but all in all it was great! Hang in everyone there is hope

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1