TKR DLR recovery #2

These valgus knees are a literal, blooming pain aren't they? I had pain for a good few weeks walking that really didn't seem to improve much and sometimes I felt I wasn't even walking in a straight line. I had to really concentrate on keeping straight, felt like a car with a wonky wheel that kept wandering to one side!
 
@Jockette while Friday is still a ways off i know it will be the first available time to see him face to face. We have long wait times with our OS here in Canada. If it was an emergency that would be different but since this pain has been consistent since day 1, I am okay to wait.
 
@DLR, I think the pain I have is similar the yours. In physical therapy yesterday, we were trying to get a flexion measurement and I can't get past a certain point, even though I know I could probably go further. Something in the back of the knee just gives me a hard stop. I am tender at the back of knee, just below where the knee bends on the lateral side. He thinks it is the hamstring. He explained that our hamstrings work really hard trying to bend a stiff knee. Makes sense. I asked if I should stretch and he said no, just let things calm down. I have my 6 week post op appointment tomorrow and will ask :)
 
@Irish471 mine is a bit different, it isn’t the hard stop, it s at the beginning of the bending, just as I rock eel to toe and start the knee bend, it’s on the outer side about an inch down from the crease at the back of the knee.
Who knew these knees could be so complicated. I guess it’s why my surgeon put it off so long, saying knees are much worse than hips.
 
Hi Diane, I just now caught up with your thread. I hope all is well when you see your OS. Hang in there :console2:
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Yesterday was one of those days....feeling so done with this, random aches and pain no way to get comfortable. I know in my heart I was simply exhausted... Sunday church, Monday in triage with a young friend who called in labour at 23 weeks and needed a ride and support until her husband could get there, she delivered a stillborn beautiful baby boy Joshua. Tuesday back down for an hour to see her. Things that pushed my limits but needed to be done and by God’s grace I had the strength.
Last night was decent sleep in the recliner but I (and my back) really look forward to being able to sleep in my bed. I have much to be thankful for, so need to get out of this funk.
Staples are ready to come out tomorrow and hoping my surgeon can shed light on this one area of non changing pain when walking.
Sorry for the weary tone
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
    022CC33B-8226-41CC-BAD3-ABFB523E8601.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 227
@DLR , oh dear, that’s a lot to handle emotionally, not just physically :cry: Lots of prayers for your friend and her family. How heartbreaking!!! Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
I had my visit with the OS, 39 staples removed. When I asked about the one area of persistent pain since day 1, his answer was “honestly I don’t know”. He checked if I had foot drop (nerve problem) which I don’t, I have good flexion 110 at 3+ weeks and my extension is almost 0. He said it will be either soft tissue or ligament pain and time is the only factor for healing. So while the pain remains exhausting hopefully with time it will ease and I can walk farther. For now he said it’s up to me how far to push the pain and when to rest.
 
Sounds like you're making great progress! Hopefully the pain will fade as function continues to return.
How was the staple removal? Are you glad they are out?
 
@Cynof4 the ongoing pain in one spot is fatiguing but yes I am thankful to have the staples out. It was a little more painful this time but not bad just a pinch with each one.
 
@DLR You're doing great. I'm at 13 weeks and 111 and +5 and happy. You are well on your way. :flwrysmile:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: DLR
1 week out LTKR, right knee done 3 months ago. I’m am so lucky, my wife runs the meds like a Swiss Train, keeping under the pain. On the last TKR, I discovered the weighted blanket, and I do believe it helped me sleep, less moving around, I bought a 20 lb blanket, no issues with weight on my knee,
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
@DLR, a good visit but a little frustrating, too. I hope you het some relief from that mystery pain soon!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
So very sorry to hear about your friend, how tragic.
I hope your pain begins to ease soon. It's frustrating when we can't pinpoint the cause. Thank you for your advice about the ball. I don't have one that size, but used my Pilates ring and it works brilliantly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Thanks all for the encouragement. It is interesting how different the two knees are in recovery. In many ways I am doing better this time... better ROM, sleep is better even if it is in the recliner, I can handle stairs better and my swelling is much less. So much to be thankful for!!
My only real thing that is worse this time is my walking. At this point with the first knee I was walking (with a crutch or cane) around our block almost 1 kilometre. This time I can barely make it to the corner about 3 houses away and I find that discouraging.
Pain is one inhibitor but I am also realizing that part of the problem is this time the “strong” leg is not as strong. It is still recovering from my first TKR as well as it is in general weaker as I have had that hip opened 3 times.
All in all I expect patience is required to build endurance...not my strong suit :) and finding the balance of pushing to get stronger and resting to keep the pain in check.
 
Try not to be discouraged, both knees done within 8 months is a lot on your body. :console2:
 
I’m managing, thanks for asking. It’s warm weather now so my knee is more comfortable now that I can go out in shorts.

After reading some posts yesterday about some pretty bad experiences I think I’ll accept what I have. I’m actually thankful no one has suggested revision to me. I am outraged at some of the experiences that some people have and their medical team seems heartless.

I’ve also been praying for your friends who lost their baby. So sad. Some years ago our youth pastor and his wife lost their first baby to crib death when he was 4 weeks old. They named him Joshua also. It was the first baby funeral I’d ever been to. The pastor who conducted the funeral was very compassionate. He used the song Jesus Loves Me and took it apart one line at a time and spoke about each line. I was very impressed with what he said.
 
Finally a sunny warm day! What a difference the sun makes. I even managed a walk using 2 crutches. Hope!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom