Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Dislocation following revision

Well...it’s three months to date since your revision. I hope things are looking up since you last stopped by. Please share an update as time allows. We’d love to hear from you.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
@melquist
 
Hi @Layla. Thanks for your welfare check.

I did finally get to see my surgeon for my first post op with him the first week of November. My x-ray shows that the constraint liner looks good, and there are no problems. He recommended P.T., and I explained why I had not wanted to go to the first place I had attended due to no treatment only home exercises of which I am all too familiar. He recommended another clinic which requires more than a 2 hour round trip, but I decided I needed help.

I am progressing, but it is very slow. He said that multiple revisions can do that. I explained to him that the fear of dislocating is ever present in my mind, but he assured me it would not do that unless something violent happened. Since violent would be a pretty dramatic thing, I have since started to feel more confidence. I really needed that appointment to objectively know that all is well in my hip. I did start with the new PT last week, and he was excellent. He actually does hands on, treatment. I thought that didn't exist anymore, actually touching a patient for tissue work. The PT is being very conservative with me, and emphasized to not over do it. I know he will help me.

I continue to have intermittent episodes of the joint making a suctioning noise. I am going to be very specific with this, because I can find absolutely nothing on the internet about the "noises" that constraint liners make from a patient's perspective. It has happened on 3 or 4 separate occasions. Biomechanically, it is if I am at the kitchen sink, and I go to turn to the cooktop on the island. I have been able to determine that I must have my right foot fixed when I turn, so I am at the end of my available hip external rotation. It makes a suctioning sound. It isn't pleasant, and I do get a little sore afterwards. For me, the constraint liner, has and will reduce the amount of hip mobility I will have. I hope to get used to this and that sound. I want to assure myself that it is the device doing its job and not letting me dislocate. I just have to get past the mental block that it will stay in place. It isn't as emotionally disabling as it was.

I am better, doing more, but I have a long way to go. I am learning to accept that. I can't "ra, ra, chin up" my way through this. I am the type of person who is not alert to my body mechanics when doing activities. I can't do that anymore, because it has and will get me into trouble. I have to remember to slow down and stay tuned into feet, leg positions. Maybe that it what I have to do indefinitely. I hadn't planned on writing so much. I am being long winded, because there are more people out there getting these constraint liners, and they too may want to hear a voice of experience in the process. Thanks for listening everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear things are heading the right direction even if slowly @melquist. As far as paying attention to how you move mechanically if you concentrate on it for a while and develop new habits you will once again most likely move without thinking about it. Our brains and bodies are truly miraculous.
 
Thank you @FCBayern. Your encouragement that I can keep practicing a new way of moving and have it become a new normal was tremendously helpful. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
 
Hello @melquist
Thanks for sharing an update. You’re doing well and learning a lot along the way. I’m sure the explanation you received from your surgeon along with the description of the physical sensations you’re experiencing as you heal will be beneficial to another on the forum one day. It’s good to hear you’re taking it slow. May it only get better and better!
Have a wonderful week.:)
 
Glad to hear you are getting some good, sensitive hands-on PT @melquist ! It is SO reassuring when you feel someone has 'got your back' while at the same time helping you to stretch yourself physically (and emotionally!). I owe a great debt to my 1:1 Pilates instructor who is also a certified PT. Over the course of the past year she has helped me strengthen my weak muscles but never put me at risk. I can now really see improvement. :yes!: You'll get there too. Slow and steady works. Somewhat limited ROM is still better than chronic pain in my book. Take care and sending healing vibes for further improvement. :angel:
 
Hi Everyone: I wanted to give an update, since I have not posted for quite awhile. I always felt that any information for those who will be having or have had a constraint liner with locking ring revision would find it helpful from the patient's perspective.

It has been a long haul, BUT, I can say with whole hearted joy that I came out the other side. I am doing fantastic. I am able to garden again, can actually get a sock and shoe on by myself most days, and last week, drum roll, I was able to do the rider mower for our fields.

I have also been able to do some light weedwhacking, and my husband and I go for a walk at the park 5 days a week for 30 minutes. I am still in awe that recovery could look this good.

My recent 6 month post op x-ray looks good. I do still feel a little action going on in there with respect to very soft noise, but I don't notice it unless I think about it.

I no longer have pain or feelings of joint instability. In fact it feels solid. The tightness I experienced continues to improve, but I do notice that there is some tightness that I don't think will come back or maybe it will? Either way, it is more than enough mobility to do the things I love. I can actually say that this joint has become the best joint in my body which has aggressive osteoarthritis in most of my joints.

The constraint liner and locking ring worked well for me. I turned the corner when I had the 100% unheard of these days hands on physical therapy in December for a total of 8 sessions. The strengthening he did for me was helpful, but what helped the most was his helping me build my confidence. I don't think about dislocating all the time like I used to. It does still come to mind periodically, but I think that awareness is important to keep me from doing anything not in my best interest.

I wanted to make a last post to once again thank the forum and to say contributing financially several times was more than worth it for anyone who is wondering. Thank you again everyone, and signing off to move on to a better life with my finally fixed hip.
 
Thank you for your very positive update.

I'm glad things are going so well for you now.
 
Great to hear from you and how well you are doing after a long recovery.
Thank you for your contributions!
Chris
 
What wonderful news. I agree that gaining that confidence in your body again is that last piece of the puzzle. Blessings for the best life possible and reclaiming the joy in everyday things. ❤️ Pat
 
Hello @melquist
Thanks for the awesome update. It sounds as though everything is going really well for you and you’re back to the activities that brings you joy. With several months to go until your one year anniversary, I’m sure you will continue to gain strength and enjoy progress.

Thank you for your support here both financially and through your encouraging words to others. It’s appreciated. Many blessings to you going forward. :)
 
@melquist :wave:
Great to hear from you and know you are doing well. Thanks for leaving this for future hippys that may have similar issues and that may need to see your story has a happy ending.
I hope your summer is Sweeeeet.
:yahoo:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom