Revision THR Dislocation following revision

Firstly thank you for your continued encouragement. I have been absent for a few days dealing with a complete melt down! I honestly wonder if I suffer from PTSD due to the numerous traumas. To make matters worse today has been awful. I had been feeling quite a lot better but the pain today has been horrible.
I have a feeling I might have caused bruising by using too much force massaging the muscles with a tennis ball. I can’t think what else it could be.

The other news is I am having more surgery, this time on my left hip!! This is my decision.
I have written about it on my own thread, here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/now-facing-left-hip-revision.56241/

I hope you are all continuing to improve and have enjoyed the sunny weekend.
Much love
Jane
 
@melquist, I understand that you and Beckford have been supporting each other a lot, but it is important to for each of you keep your detailed updates in your own threads, otherwise we all get confused and forget whose thread we're reading.
 
OK...I understand.
How do we private message?

I think you’ll find it handy in the future to have most of the updates on your progress in your own thread. Kind of like your own personal journal of recovery. You may want to reference an update of your progress one day that you recall typing, but don’t remember where you typed it. It‘s happened to many I’m sure.

You two are a great encouragement to one another. Heartwarming to see. Thanks for sharing your journey with us all and allowing us to support you along the way.
 
Well, I did something stupid today. I've been feeling great, being careful, not over doing it, and I went into the gardens with my husband to putter a little bit together. I lost my footing and starting to fall, but somehow managed to keep my momentum going forward knowing while it was happening that I was in trouble. I somehow managed to fall forward against a shrub still upright. It was terrifying and like a slow motion nightmare of terror thinking I am going to fall and dislocate again. It is amazing how so much can happen in a matter of seconds. I burst out in tears with my husband quickly coming over not knowing what had just happened. He had been looking the other way when I started to fall. I didn't end up falling, but the staggering movement before I finally was able to stop the momentum of the fall feels like I strained everything along my whole right leg and hip. I am walking fine, but I do feel sore everywhere. I immediately took some ibuprofen, and I am trying to settle my mental meltdown on what just happened. It is just too uneven out there, and no matter how careful I was being stepping about with my husband right near me the chance I took seems like what the heck was I thinking?! I took a shower, got in bed and I am resting. I told my husband I am not going back out there. I will walk only on even hard surfaces that have no variation in terrain. I am so fearful right now that I have done damage. I am 3 weeks and 2 days today. I don't think I can ever go in our gardens again. It is just too unstable out there for the history my hip has been through. I feel so overwhelmed by this. I am not in pain, just sore like I strained things. My head wants to run a million miles into the "what if" category. I need an objective perspective, and right now, I can't seem to get myself to that place. At least I can come here and voice today's unpleasant event. My confidence is trashed.
 
So sorry to hear of your mishap today, thank goodness you didn't actually fall. I'm sure you are pretty sore right now but taking some ibuprofen, a shower and stretching out in bed sound like a great way to relax and try to calm your worried mind. Don't forget to use ice and elevation, works really well for pain and soreness. Try to focus on something else for right now, read a book/magazine or watch some mindless TV.

Remember that this is all temporary, continue to take things slow and for now it might be best to stay out of the garden. Still go outside and sit in a chair to enjoy the fresh air and supervise your hubby in the garden. :friends:
 
Thank you Elf1. I am doing exactly what you advised. I already mentally feel better. If I think about it, my hip/leg held up well with quite a stumble. I am not going to sit in fear with this, and I will slow down.
 
I do not have your complicated history but I take two walking (hiking) poles when I go on uneven ground. I have four replaced joints so I really do not want any issues with any of them.

The hiking poles gives me stability if I trip or step on something I do not expect or there is a hole I do not see clearly. I am weaning off them around outside of the house now but when we go further I always take them. I can still enjoy the great outdoors and can walk the border of our fields (we have acreage) but not take any chances.

I purchased mine on Amazon years ago after one of my surgeries. I actually purchased an inexpensive pair to try out and never found a reason to buy another. They are height adjustable and very easy to use. Less issues than a cane for my bad thumb joints and they keep me more upright and even than a cane. Also a plus is arm exercise at the same time.
 
Thank you Leeja for this great recommendation. I never thought about this, and it makes total sense. I will pursue this.
 
Leejaa is so right. Walking poles are a wonderful option for extra stability until you get your full strength back. Of course, you are so new in this recovery, at this point it probably is best not to venture out on uneven ground just yet. Let's get you healed and back on the road toward gaining muscle strength first. That will take place by walking on smooth surfaces for at least a couple of months. The walking poles will be beneficial there too - great for confidence-building. Until you can get back out to work in the garden, maybe you can find a place to sit and look at it to enjoy the beauty of nature this Fall.
 
Sorry to hear this, it is the fright that is the worst part and as you say your hip was fine, they are very strong these implants so my consultant tells me. I fell very shortly after my op ( fainted) it worried the life out of me and took a few days to get over the shock. You will be fine , just keep to nice flat even surfaces. I can’t remember if you said you were still using a crutch or stick but might it be worth having a folding stick in case you get tired or need a bit of extra support on some days? I bought one on Amazon for less than £10 and it’s come in handy a few times. Look after yourself, you will be back to gardening but maybe it’s just too soon? X
 
Thank you so much everyone. I ordered the walking poles today, and I will stay on even ground until I am strong enough in a few months to try a bit more but not until then. I cannot believe how "detached" I have been at the weakness of my right hip, leg. The 2nd dislocation 6 weeks prior to my hip surgery resulted in a lot of bed time. That compounded my loss of strength even before I got to the surgery point. My brain and body have not been on the same page. It is amazing that I worked in the rehabilitation field and would have advised any patient I worked with in my situation to not do what I did yesterday. I admit that this is the first time I am emotionally grasping that I have to get my strength foundation back. If I didn't have such a wonderful place to come voice what happened and my fears, it would be so easy to catastrophize this. It is a wake up call. I woke up.
 
Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
Let’s turn this around. Instead of ruminating over all of the ”what if’s” use this event as a
warning and reminder of what you’re NOT ready for yet. Be thankful it happened instead of beating yourself up over it. You weren’t hurt and a valuable lesson was learned. That’s a blessing! Wishing you peace, comfort and a nice, “safe” weekend! :wink:
@melquist
 
Layla is right. It's not unusual for people in the medical field to be great when advising or working with others and completely unaware that they should follow the same guidance when they have surgery or an injury. It's just human nature! Even our retired Nurse Director, Josephine, used to lament that she was the worst patient when she had her knees replaced. So, you're certainly not alone with this. The good news is that you now are on a good path to a successful recovery.

How about posting a photo of you with your new walking sticks? I'd love to see you in action with them.
 
Hi :hi: @melquist
I am assuming you‘ve received the hiking poles by now...have your tried them out?
If so, hope you’re liking them. Let us know when you have time.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
 
Hi Layla :wave: : My order was lost somewhere during shipping, so I have to re-order them. Meanwhile I have been walking :walking: daily with my cane for added security and up to 16 minutes now. I am very happy about that. No limp, but until my hip feels stronger, I will use the cane for security. I will have to order the poles again, since they disappeared into the ether. Only one week to go before the 6 week mark.
 
If it's anything like my experience with Amazon two days after the replacement comes the original will show. :shrug: Sounds like you are making good progress, happy healing @melquist.
 
Back
Top Bottom