Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Dislocation following revision

Feeling tired and sore today, so that means yesterday I did too much! :walking: I didn't think I had other than feeling a little more tired than usual. I am going to take it slower today, rest more, and smile that I am not going to abuse my body! :egypdance: I am going to nurture it. It is such a relief to not have the mind set I did with my earlier surgeries that I need to whip myself in shape. Nope, I just need to pace, pace, pace. I learned that here from you all. It gives me the confidence I need. Slow and steady to the finish line. Wishing everyone well and just wanted to say: "THANK YOU!" :praying:
 
Hard to stay between the lines between enough and too much sometimes, I found.
:groan:
We find them the hard way but can always make a memo to self, as it never seems to hurt until we stop.
You are staying positive and yes, keep pacing ( or not pacing, if necessary:heehee:)

Chill out and hope you have a restful evening.:ice:
 
Hi, I just read your story and I have recently underwent my third surgery and second revision. I have always been scared to death of dislocating since I am a dancer, I always have been a bad patient, never really followed the doctors instructions and my most recent revision (Sept. 18, 2020 brand new implant triflange acetabular component placed due to significant bone loss). your story hit home that we can easily dislocate from doing a simple movement. Can you give me any advice since I am 2 weeks PO,I don't dislocate? I am dealing with significant abductor weakness and have been doing the standing exercises. Now I am afraid to do them lying down. I tried doing the clam exercises, but my leg wont even move. I have to admit, when I do sit, sometimes I reach to get something off the floor, should I not be doing that? Oh, I am so scared now.
[Bonesmart.org] Dislocation following revision


Hugs you get better, I know you will, we always do! Our bodies are amazing machines and with tender loving care they heal!

Looking forward to hearing about your recovery!
 
Hi @Figsktr-Thank you for sharing with us about your journey. I know that the moderator will post the recommended post op articles. I don't have the organized list that they provide with anyone new. I encourage reading everyone of them, because much of what you are sharing will be addressed in those articles. Those articles helped me immensely! As far as picking things up off the floor, since you have a posterior access revision, it would be best to not do so until your surgeon clears you. It is important to talk to your surgeon about your post op restrictions so that you can have the best recovery possible. Those restrictions are the bread and butter of how to help avoid dislocations. Only your surgeon knows what restrictions need to be in place for your post operative period. I do my exercises (hip abduction, extension, hamstring curls) in standing. I do quad and gluteal sets in bed, but they are the only ones. I find for my situation, it hurts to do any of the others in bed. Everyone's situation is unique to them. I listen to my body, and if it hurts, I change my course of action. The most valuable thing us hipsters can do is walking. The articles cover that. You are in the right place to get the support you are seeking. I think the moderator will help you start a thread for your personal journey going forward. I do not know how that process works, but they are fantastic on this website. My thoughts are with you during your healing time. Keep us posted!
 
Hi Everyone: A day of rest did help. I am on day two of trying to see how it goes without ibuprofen and tylenol. I think that they were starting to do a number on my stomach, since I have been taking them going back to my dislocation in July. I am depending on ice. I admit, I am much stiffer without them and moving slower, but that would be expected. I do notice more tightness in the joint itself, and I plan to talk to my surgeon when I see him on 10/22 for my post op visit and follow up x-ray. I am attributing it to the constraint liner and of course being 5 weeks post op. I can live with stiffness and even reduced mobility, if that comes with a constraint liner (?), in order to have more peace of mind about dislocations. I know the specific tasks that I want to ask him if I can do in the future at 6+ months such as light weedwacking in my garden beds with a battery weedwacker not a gas weedwacker (they require more physical control) and using our rider mower in our fields for Spring mowing. Uneven terrain with mowing can do some jarring to my pelvis/hips as well as the motion of getting in and out of a somewhat confined space. I was able to do both in the past at the right time interval without issue, but I want to be careful. It all comes down to protecting my constraint liner, so I look forward to my up coming appointment. Fellow constraint liner hipsters, any input from your experience is greatly appreciated. I can find lots on the internet from the perspective of surgeon's research and surgeries, but nothing so far from the patient's themselves. Constraint liners are nothing new. They have been used for some time, but it surprises me how little is out there from those who have one. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?
 
@melquist Are you talking about a locking ring? If you go to this thread, post number 3 shows an illustration of a locking ring. And if you do a search for locking ring you will get a list of threads that include a discussion of this. Most of the threads are old and now closed as members are off the board living life again.

Note that Josephine, our former Nurse Director did mention there could be some restriction in mobility. However I would not be concerned at this point as you are only 5 weeks out of surgery.
 
Thank you @Jaycey. I did go to the thread/s. They were informative. I do not know if a constraint liner and a locking ring are the same thing, but I do know this. I am tired of all of this and the "what if's" as the one thread said when she decided she was done with the "what ifs". I am too, or at least I am going to try to do that. I think I also heard something else I needed to hear "...members are off the board living life again." l need to do that: live life again. I need to "unstuck" myself. Surgery is done with the best option I have going forward. It all comes down to that. I have what I need to go forward and do what I can and back off what I can't. I will find my new normal, and whatever that is, it is going to give me the opportunity to keep moving along. I am going to sign off from posting, because I have pretty much exhausted anything I can say at this point. Thanks everyone for everything. Wishing you all the best!
 
@melquist .... I understand your need to back off from the forum to try and reestablish some "normal" to your life again where your hip is not the center of the universe.

Just know that you're always part of our BoneSmart family. We care about you and how you're getting along with the challenge of finding what normal means for you going forward. You and your hip have been through so much. It will take time, so try your best to go slow and listen to your body as you start doing more things. It will tell you when it's not quite ready for an activity or motion and that will be your signal to back up and let a little more time pass before attempting that again. We will always be here if you need us and will be thrilled to celebrate your successes with you.
 
:hi: @melquist
I understand your need not to saturate yourself in "all things hips" however, as a Jamie relays, we will be rooting for you and these are early days so do come back whether it is to glean any information or to vent or just to update your progress every now and then.

Wishing you all the best, friend.:friends:
 
:cry:We’ll miss you, but we understand. There comes a time...
Please stop by to say :hi: or update once in awhile. We’d love it.
All the best to you!
@melquist
 
Hi Everyone: Just thought I would stop by and say Hi. I missed you all. I am doing well, walking daily and able to do more daily activities. I am up on my feet quite a bit now with some sitting on the porch enjoying the weather and just being able to sit. I admit I am also back for some support. Yesterday my hip made a scraping sound when I was doing hip abduction exercises. I immediately stopped, and thought that it was not a sound I have ever had before. I have had the usual noises going up stairs, etc, but this was different. I called the surgeon and he felt that the constraint liner was indicating I was at the end of my range of motion. Okay that makes sense, because I did have my leg going out further than before. I had no pain, nothing. It made that same scraping sound again today when I went to turn from the sink to the stove but it was very brief. It sounds like my hip joint needs to get oiled to best describe it. I see my Doc next Thursday for my post op and first x-ray post op. I guess I just need to have some reassurance I did look on the website for hip replacement sounds, but it said that the section was removed. Anyone with a constraint liner have this type of noise? Thanks everyone for being a place to voice a need for some feedback.
 
I am sorry but I cannot address your issue specifically as I have no experience with that kind of liner. I did want to send best wishes and some good vibes for your visit with the surgeon. I hope you get answers and everything turns out fine.
 
Melquist, your surgeon is going to be the best person to check into that sound you've been hearing. But the fact that it's not accompanied by any pain or loss of movement says a lot....that it probably is just your hip letting you know that's it's limit for range of motion and to not push quite so hard with the abduction exercises. Walking is really all you need to do for your new hip, so you might want to just stick with that until you see your surgeon.

You'll be a lot less likely to experience these noises and other issues with your hip when the muscles surrounding your joint regain their strength. That mostly comes with time along with some strengthening exercises and just plain walking. You're still relatively early in your recovery process and your hip has been through a lot in the past year or so. Just be sure you're not trying to move too fast with your recovery.
 
Sounds like that constraint liner was doing what it is supposed to do - constraining. It's good that you called your surgeon. I hope he reassured you. Let us know how it goes Thursday.
 
Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate the encouraging advice, and I am staying with walking and not the exercises for now until I see him. I will post what he says.
 
Well, I didn't get to see my surgeon on Thursday. I am so disappointed. I couldn't get another appointment until 11/5. We got caught in a highway shut down due to a fire/crash, and no cars were moving for over a half hour when we gave up and turned around. Apparently I wasn't the only one who wasn't able to get to the doctor as a result of this. I am in a holding pattern for now doing light daily ADL's and backing off of a walking program until I see the surgeon. My hip flexors have become so painful when trying to do steady walking that it became more of a shuffle than anything else. I am fine with short distances though and can stay up and about for most of the day. That part has gone well. I am 8 weeks, and I admit that I am frustrated that this is going so dang slow as far as the walking and how tight my hip feels. It is like a vice grip is holding it together. I cannot alternate on the stairs yet. I am not doing the exercises for now either, because that feeling of restricted movement doesn't feel like muscle tightness. It feels mechanical. I want peace of mind with my first post op x-ray to know that all is well in there and what mobility I can expect. This time around has been much slower than anything before. I just have to be patient to find out about the liner. It seems like I should be further along for being at 2 months, but I guess I don't get to decide for now. Thanks everyone for letting me let off some steam.
 
Hi @melquist
I’m sorry you missed your appointment through no fault of your own. Certainly disappointing. At only two months into a revision recovery there is still ample time for improvement as your body continues to heal over the next ten, or more, months. I hope you obtain the peace of mind you’re seeking through reassurance from your surgeon that you’re progressing as you should. Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom