Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Diane, Sorry your knee is hurting today! I guess it is letting you kno who's in charge ! Feel better!
 
Hi Diane

My fingers are crossed that you are over the balance issues and you are on the mend. I'm sorry about your knee playing up, how annoying at this stage. Do you have an appointment with your OS soon? It would be good if you have to discuss it with him. You are being wise to rest and ice the knee. I hope today is a better day for you.
 
Hi Jo
Balance still ok which is good. I had a better day with the knee yesterday. A short trip to the supermarket and it felt fine. Iced and rested a lot also. Today I tried a slightly longer walk and it's achey again but not as bad as the other day. I have my check up with the OS next Wednesday when hopefully it will be feeling good again. I am getting bored of the roller coaster! You sound to be doing well which is great!
 
Hi Diane

I'm so pleased to read that your knee is starting to behave again :thumb: Get it all sorted for next Wednesday and I'm sure your OS will be delighted with how well you have done with knee number two.

I am pleased with how my knee is progressing, the last couple of weeks I have made good progress. I'm just back from a gentle stroll with my dog - enjoying this sunshine :thumb:
 
I'm so glad to hear that your pain is getting better, Diane and your balance issues. Sounds like you are doing good, too, Jo.
 
I had an interesting session with my osteopath yesterday. She has been seeing me for years and helped me through my tour guide exams when my old arthritic knees were really painful.

I told her about my setback after walking pain-free and she said that my popliteus muscle behind the knee wasn't working and that my foot was a bit jammed. She did some very gentle work on me and said I should take shorter walks and find benches to rest on for the time being. She also thought a few minutes on the exercise bike throughout the day would be good as it keeps the knee in the right alignment which my walking doesn't at the moment. I bought some new trainers two weeks ago and she said my left foot is already pushing the inner side out of shape. I am going back to see the podiatrist in two weeks time so she can look at my new gait and see if I need new orthotics.

The osteo also said I should ice rest and elevate more. Now where have I heard that before?

She also gave my neck a bit of gentle treatment and wondered if the dizzy episode could have been related to that rather than labrynthitis. She said your neck can be pulled into an uncomfortable position during surgery.

Anyway I got home and dozed/slept for the rest of the afternoon. I'm planning on a small outing with two friends this afternoon and then tomorrow I am driving my Dad to visit Mum in her new care home - a 30 minute drive to the coast. So not too much walking on the horizon!
 
Morning Diane

That's all very interesting - I have a lot of faith in my chiropractor and he was so helpful about issues related to my knee in the past. She could be right and it could all be connected.

Have a good weekend and enjoy your day tomorrow with your parents.
 
Diane,It all sounds hopeful. Enjoy your outing, and the visit with your parents, sounds lovely!
 
She also gave my neck a bit of gentle treatment and wondered if the dizzy episode could have been related to that rather than labrynthitis.
Oh yes! I quite forgot about that. When my neck is really playing up I get terrible attacks of dizziness that would take me scampering to my osteo or chiro. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to happen much these days (touch wood!).

Diney, I thought about you on Friday. I was walking up Kingsway near Aldwych and one of those open top tour buses when past. I had a good look in case you were on it but it was empty! :th_heehee:
 
Josephine, as if I would dare to be back guiding yet! If you had seen me I'm pretty sure you would have had something to say about it!
I've been thinking I should say something about the last week or so but was a bit scared of your reaction. I can just see your raised eyebrows.
I thought it would be helpful to others if I said that I think that Jazyb's attitude to recuperation is the model to copy - a slow steady pace with lots of rest, ice and elevation which is clearly paying off.
If I am honest my painful knee is the result of impatience and doing too much too quickly. I may not have boarded a crowded train but when I looked back over the week leading up to the setback I realised I not only walked a mile but did a full supermarket shop the next day, continued to go out and visit friends and generally act as if my knee was 6 months old rather than 6 weeks.
This has led to me getting anxious that something more serious is going on when it's probably the case that I have angered the tissue and my knee wants me finally to rest and stop walking and give it more than just half a day off. So I am going to try and take my own advice and hope I can give a better report at 8 weeks.
 
I've just got back from my visit to the OS. I saw the Physio first and she said my knee looked good and had good movement. Then the OS saw me and admired his handiwork and said I had a good stable platform. When I said I had been suffering some pain in the knee over the last week but this was after I had walked a mile he just smiled and said that was quite a long way to walk at this stage and he wasn't in the least bit worried.
So I am home again icing and resting and back to short walks till the knee allows me out more. It definitely appreciates the rest and is getting better!
 
Great report Diane and good to know your OS wasn't worried about your knee pain from last week - very reassuring.
 
Diane, please tell your surgeon he is definitely on my list of favourites! :th_heehee:
 
Hi, Diane - How have you been lately? I've been thinking about you as the madness gears up for the Olympics.

I think I told you we will be in London in September for a day, but you will be doing a trip to Jersey. We will hopefully be back in July 2013 for a day again! We are doing a cruise next year to the North Cape and Sptizbergen that leaves from Dover.
 
Ten weeks tomorrow!
Well I went dark for a few days because there wasn't much to report but this is where I am now:
I'm getting happier with my progress as I can do most things and am off painkillers. On Tuesday I stayed all day at my weekly church course for the first time and gave a 10 minute talk standing up at the end. The knee ached a bit afterwards but nothing really bad. Today I did a 30 minute supermarket shop and I visited my Dad for his birthday.
The furthest I have walked in one go since the knee pain kicked in a few weeks ago is a quarter of a mile. I would like to be able to start walking further than that soon.
I've no idea about my rom or extension but I think they are both ok for this stage.
Ruby Sue - thanks for your message. Just the other day I was asked if I could do a one day London tour for 11 American visitors. Five of them are in wheelchairs and they want a coach panoramic taking in the whole city. It's not till late May so I have said yes! I will now have to work hard revising as I am a bit rusty!
 
Hi Diane
You sound as if you are doing well and getting back on track. It really is good to get back to living our life 
 
11 weeks today for the new knee :thumb:
This is for all the Bonesmarties following behind!

I can finally believe that I will be back to tour guiding in the summer and going on long walks again!

This was my day so far:
I drove my son to work - a 40 minute round trip. Then I walked the long way to my village which is about a mile and stopped for a coffee and then walked half a mile home again.

After a quick rest with some ice and elevation I drove into town for my eye test and chose some new glasses. This all took about an hour with quite a bit of standing.

Then I walked to an electrical shop to buy a new printer cartridge before driving to the supermarket to do a shop for the weekend.

Then I fiinally drove home and put my feet up!

The sun was shining and I had minimal pain, just a few twinges. When I woke up this morning my knee didn't feel that great but that's what is strange with this recovery. Once I started walking it felt fine. On other days I have thought it was going to be good and then the knee hasn't wanted to play ball.

So I am more than happy at this stage of my recovery. I know I still have to be patient and not overdo things but each week I can do more and today was a normal day!

As for the first knee, that's coming up for six months. It still has days with the tight band feeling but generally is a good solid workhorse!

Have a good weekend fellow Bonesmarties and thank you for all your support so far!
 
Fantastic report, Diane! It's so good to hear these positive stories. It looks like you will be ready for the madness of the summer tourist season and the Olympics.

I hope to be right behind you in returning to normal life.
 
Hi Diane
That is a great and positive report :thumb: You have had a busy 6 months but I bet you are so pleased it's all behind you now. Your knee story is an absolute success story Diane - well done!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom