TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane-

Thanks for posting you story at six months. Those of us following behind can look ahead and say "ok, just get thru the next few weeks and you'll be turning corners too" Some days it feels like the pain/tightness will never change, yet we all know after just a few weeks it's better. Like you said, the roller coaster ride becomes quite boring, you just want to get off. Good luck going forward and please continue to post for those of us struggling not to jump out of our car at the next bend in the ride! :sigh:
 
Hi Jo
Thanks! I went shopping with a couple of friends yesterday and the new knee did feel a bit sore after a while but I'm having an easier day today and I'm sure it will be fine.
Bev
Keep the car door shut for now, wait a while and the destination will be great!
 
Hi Diane,

You are definitely back in the swing of things. I really appreciate this report. We went in on the same day and I can definitely relate to the progress you have made. Thank you for sharing and I will continue to look forward to your good news.

Dori
 
Diane! I still can't get over how much walking your are able to do on that new second knee! Sounds like you're recovery is going really well--both of them. I think what really helps is that you have such a great attitude. You know when to push a bit and you know when to take it easy--AND you don't let little setbacks get you down. You're able to realize that they are going to happen at times and you roll with the punches! I wish I could say I have that same attitude! :hysterical:
Niki
 
Hi Niki

You will see from my post on your thread that I've had a little hitch. I think it was too much walking again and now I'm resting. I have to give myself a good talking to in order to keep a positive attitude especially when the setbacks come after good days. I think your attitude is brilliant - much better than mine!

On a different note I had my first sauna on Sunday followed by a walk up and down the pool. It completely wiped me out yesterday - I don't know if that's good or bad!
 
Setbacks are a normal part of any recovery and can be our greatest teachers. Our recovery is not a linear process and when the swelling and such occurs, it is a reminder that despite what we think, Our Body is really in charge and has decided to slow things down...for whatever reason. Just try to go with it and don't beat yourself up. There is no need for negativity. You are definitely in the recovery process and all is well and on point.

Last week you walked, this week you ice and elevate and rest. It's ALL good You'll bounce back from this better than ever!:thumb:

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Three months today!

My left knee is three months and my right knee six months in two days time and the surgery was definitely worth it!

Today I drove to the airport to meet my daughter for a coffee before she flew off on holiday. It was a long walk from the car park and through the terminal building but the knees were fine.

In the afternoon I visited a friend and we walked for about a mile and the new knee was great. If anything the older knee was getting a bit sore!

I'm looking forward to my first trip away next weekend. Three days on the Isle of Wight with three girlfriends.

So still a long way to go. I can't walk fast but I can walk without pain and that's BRILLIANT! :dancy::dancy:
 
I see those glimmers, too, Diane. I've walked longer distances and Neil is excellent and Buzz is coming along.

I am nearly six months for Neil and almost eight weeks for Buzz. I'm back to work next Wednesday, doing part-time for two weeks to get used to sitting at a desk again, then full-time on May 3. We're doing a road trip later in May to some places we've never visited in the Great State of Texas, so that will really be a good test.

Have a great time on your Isle of Wight adventure!
 
Hi Diane

A great report and isn't it wonderful to be able to do all these activities without any pain or worry of how we will deal with them. Have fun away with the girls!
 
Wow Diane!!!! Come on tell us all about this trip you have booked :thumb: :thumb::thumb: Details required please!!!
 
Hi Jo and everyone

I have to admit to being a little bit scared as well as excited now I have actually booked my round the world trip. The trigger was my nephew Edward's wedding in Auckland in August.

I thought it would be a great incentive and reward for my new knees! The right will be 10 months old and the left 7 months by then.

What I have planned is one night in Bangkok then three days in Sydney followed by about a couple of weeks in New Zealand allowing me to travel from the South to the North Island and finally a week in Vancouver before heading home.

I will meet up with my sister and her husband for part of the time in New Zealand and my daughter is going to join me in Vancouver but for the rest of the time I will be travelling solo.

Since my husband died 10 years ago I have been on quite a few holidays but always with friends. This is the big one so I hope me and my knees will be ready for it!
 
Hi, Diane -

That sounds like a spectacular trip!! Lots of hours on an airplane, that's for sure.

I think that might be doable with your knees at 10 and 7 months. When mine are at 11 and 7 months in September we are doing a 15-day cruise from Dover to Barcelona with 12 ports stops along the way in Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, and Morocco.

Our flights won't be nearly as long. You will definitely have to post more about your trip and how you do.

Are you doing lots of tours for folks coming to the Olympics?
 
Hi, Bev -

You should be ok if your progression continues. We have traveled extensively in recent years with my horrible arthritic knees (Europe several times and even Southern Africa). These knees are already much better than those old knees.

Try to get a bulkhead seat or at least an aisle. I have lots of Mileage Plus miles so I often try to get business class seats at least for the longer flights. You might try for Economy Plus seating as well (or the equivalent on whatever airline you are flying).

Definitely get up and move around a lot when you are on the flight. The flight from the east coast to London really seems pretty short to me anymore. We are flying to London in September and have a four-hour leg from Denver to Dulles that we have to do first. On the way back, we're on a Lufthansa non-stop from Frankfurt to Denver (clocks in at about 12 hours flying time).
 
Hi Diane

What a lovely trip and treat for you and your knees :thumb: I am sure you will be fine with the flights as you have plenty of rest between countries. How exciting!!!! I do think it's good to have something to look forward to and also an aim - you certainly have both. Our son is getting married in June, so that's my goal :thumb:

Wonderful news Diane and you will have a ball.
 
Barb-

I should be flying 1st class but it's normally the red eye and I never sleep so I'm going to request an aisle seat so I don't bother my seat mate. I'm hoping by 9 months I'm good for the flight over to London and then a short hop to Edinburgh mid week.

Thanks!
 
Barb

The longest leg of my trip will be Auckland to Vancouver, about 13 hours. London to Bangkok is 9 hours and about the same Bangkok to Sydney. I've booked regular seats but at least I've got aisle seats. I plan on getting up and walking around a lot!

I'm hoping to do a few Olympic walks by the end of May. I have got my first job back at work on May 24, an all day London coach tour with 11 Americans, 5 with wheelchairs.

Bev

I'm sure you will be fine by November. I used to be quite a frequent flyer to the States and even with pre-op achey knees the journey never seemed that bad.

Jo

Thanks for your support and as ever a positive, upbeat response!

You must be getting excited about your son's wedding. I'm sure your knee will be ready to party in June. Will it be in Devon or will you have to travel?
 
Hi Diane
The wedding is in Wiltshire, so nice and easy for us. We are staying up there for a few days, so it should be a lot of fun. I shall be outfit hunting in May and the biggest worry - shoes :rolleyespink: I am so used to living in trainers or Birkenstocks that the thought of proper shoes frightens the life out of me!
 
Jo
I know what you mean about shoes. I've also got a wedding at the beginning of June - the daughter of my best friend. I haven't worn heels since my son's wedding two and a half years ago and pre-knee ops they nearly killed me! I have bought a pair of shoes with a very small heel, just enough to hopefully make my dress look elegant enough!
As the MOG (mother of the groom) will you be wearing a hat?
 
Hi Diane
A big no to that - I am not a hat person!! The wedding is in a hotel so it's not so formal but I expect there will still be some hats! I take it you have your outfit if you have the shoes? I really must put my mind to the outfit :scratch:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom