TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane,
Glad to hear that things are going well with knee number two. I just can't imagine starting recovery all over again like that. You are courageous, my friend! :thumb:

Two hundred yards is quite a walk for 2 weeks out! It seems the nighttime discomfort seems to hang on. I am 4 months out today and still dealing with that. Icing helps me more than anything at night.

Sounds like things are going great and you are well on your way!
Niki
 
Trying to catch up around here and it is so good to see that you are doing so well! I hope things continue as they seem to be for you! :thumb:
 
Well it's Sunday morning in snowy England and I have just checked in for a bit of advice/reassurance.

I'm just over three weeks into recovery on right knee and 16 weeks on left knee. Things have been going fairly well until yesterday when I think I started a urinary infection.

I had the usual symptoms of needing to go a lot and then not going at all! I used to have a lot of these symptoms but they cleared up after an op for a prolapse repair last June. Things are a little better this morning. Just feel a bit washed out.

Now I'm obviously worried about infection affecting the new knees. I started taking some antibiotics last night (Ciproflaxin) - my doctor allowed me a pack in hand as I used to have so many episodes. I will make an appointment to see him tomorrow.
I've read what Josephine posted about infections and I suppose I am looking for reassurance that it won't happen to me!

Would there be anything to look out for or to see at this stage?
 
Hi Diane

I know you must be worried but I am sure you will be ok, the fact you noticed so quick and took action with the antibiotics. I am sure one of the experienced Moderators will be on here to advise soon and put your mind at rest. Sorry I can't be of any help but I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you. It's bad enough that we are facing this hard recovery without an added worry like that on top.

I have suffered with that in the past and it's not nice - hope you are feeling better on that front :flowerysmile:
 
You know what? I'm not altogether convinced about urinary tract infections being a hazard to a joint replacement. I can see it will certain dental issues but urinary tract - I think not.

If you read my article, you would have also read about how the immune system works and since such an infection takes a while to get into full flow, I really cannot see it escaping the ever vigilant phagocytes!

I often get UTIs and have even stopped taking antibiotics. I would for dental treatments as listed, but this? I really don't buy it!
 
Jo: thanks for your support. It's so nice we can jolly each other along. Im feeling a bit better now, just resting indoors as it's too treacherous to venture outside. I meant to say in an earlier post that I know your area quite well. We used to have a caravan on a farm near your little town and spent many happy days exploring.

Josephine: thanks so much for your reply. I tend to worry about the least thing and you have put my mind at rest. I hate the blasted UTI's without having to worry about the knees as well!
 
Diane - that all sounds good from Josephine :thumb: I bet you will feel better already. Take care!
 
Hi Diane

You obviously know the South Hams well. I know Rattery very well as we used to live in Velwell, which is just down the road. We used to go to The Church House Inn for a meal from time to time, I'm sure you know it. It is a small world!

I hope the weather is better for you tomorrow, I do not like snow or ice. We have escaped the bad weather here and don't have any snow.
 
Hi Diane,

I would probably feel the same way that you do. We just don't need anymore complications at this point. But I'm sure you will be just fine. Otherwise, sounds like you are doing great! Keep taking it easy and enjoying your recovery.

Dori
 
Just to say good news at the doctor's. There is now no trace of UTI and my doctor is of the same opinion as Josephine regarding problems with the knee implants.
We have had a steady thaw today and I managed to get out and do a little walk up and down the street. The new knee is still quite sore and is calling for lots of ice and elevation!
 
Hi Diane

That is good news from the Doctor; relief for you :thumb: Have a good evening!
 
Four week progress report
First of all I don't want anyone to think I am showing off or trying to prove anything. I really did learn my lesson with my first knee when I thought I was in charge and tried to do things way too early.
I am posting this to show how much difference there can be between two knees even on the same person and I can't quite believe myself what I can achieve already.
So today for the first time I managed a full rotation forwards and backwards on the bike and then cycled for a cautious one and a half minutes!
I also decided to drive for the first time. I have an automatic and the left knee doesn't need to do anything so not really hard. But I am well aware of Josephine's warning to take it very slowly. All I did was drive around for 15 minutes and come home again. No visits to the shops! What it did was give me a great feeling of freedom.
I then did my walk. I take a stick with me but didn't use it today and walked just under half a mile.
I have no idea what my ROM is but I can walk upstairs almost normally but not down. I still find the heel slides hard and I still rest a lot in the afternoon and evening and ice and elevate. I am taking Co-codamil and Ibuprofen regularly.
I am cautiously optimistic at this point that my new knee is making good progress and I have no intention of messing things up by standing on trains like last time! The first new knee (almost four months old) is also behaving well.
So mostly I hope this will encourage everyone as I am encouraged when I read of other Bonesmarties achievements.
 
Diney, it sounds like you and the new knee are getting on really well. I'm glad your previous experience is helping you too. Be kind to yourself for a few more months and hopefully you'll have a wonderful summer with knees 1 & 2.
 
Diney, ,

I found my recovery from my second knee to be much easier than from my first knee also. Mine were 2 1/2 years apart. There was not as much pain (or maybe I dealt with it better) and the post op swelling went down much quicker. I found ROM to be pretty much the same. But the key thing this time was that I knew about not pushing myself and allowing the knee to be the boss.
 
Diane, just catching up after being off line for a while. Congrats on your new knee, sounds like you are doing well and it is a success. I am very happy for you. My knee is great, back to hiking and working out. The doc has given me permission to ski again (only beginner runs for now) and I am waiting for the perfect combo of sun and snow to do so.

Be well, be happy, b
 
You're doing well, honey! You'll be back on your tours this summer, no doubt about it!
 
Diane,
Great report! I am amazed at how much you are able to walk with only being 4 weeks out. It's so hard for me to relate to what a "normal" recovery is like, but you sound like you are doing awesome! And I can only imagine how great it must feel to have both knees behind you now. I agree with Josephine. By summer you will be ready to roll!
Niki
 
Hi Diane

You are having a great recovery with this knee, I am so pleased for you. Keep up the good work!
 
Hi Diane, well done on your 4 week anniversary. I'm 8 weeks and still not climbing stairs. Just shows how differently we all recover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom