TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son was married in November in St. Thomas. A beach wedding (deck, actually) and my profile picture is what I wore. Half the people didn't have shoes on. It was great!
 
Jo
Yes I have got my outfit. It's a simple brown dress with a cream cropped jacket. Enjoy France!

Janet
Now that's the kind of wedding I like and I love what you wore!
 
Gosh. I hadn't realised I had been away so many days!
I had a lovely time on the Isle of Wight and managed to keep up with my friends. We just pottered and had coffees and lunches but it all felt so nice and normal!

My newest knee was fine once I got going but had small aches and pains when sitting too long.

I find I don't need naps anymore but as I said on Doris's thread I do run out of steam and have to walk slower or just sit down instead of finishing a chore but I think this is partly because I am doing so much more now.

For me the best achievement so far was going to London yesterday. I went by train and the tube for a tour guides' reunion supper. We were having such a nice time that it got so late that I missed the last train and stayed over at our host's house.

This morning when I got back to London Bridge I just stood outside the train station in the rain gazing up at the Shard - now London's tallest building at more than 1,000 feet.

When I got back home to my station it was still raining but I walked home for 20 minutes just because I could!

There are still ups and downs but generally recovery is going in the right direction and starting to speed up a little.

Good wishes to my same-day surgery buddies Dori and Luvtocamp - I think you are having a similar recovery.

Jo - I hope you got over your cold and had a great time in France.

Margaret and Barb - I hope all is going well with you!

And encouragement to all you other Bonesmarties, old and new wherever you are on the road to recovery!
 
:goodpost::wow2::hapydancsmil: WAY TO GO DIANE! Although we've missed your posts--sure is good to see that you've reached that point in recovery that you're getting back to really living your life.

This is such an inspiration to those BoneSmarties out there who are still struggling and finding it hard to believe that it really does just get BETTER & BETTER.

Sounds like you've been having a really good time and enjoying yourself throughly. Keep us posted when you can find time. We care.
 
Thanks Judy
I notice you are a steady encourager. Always looking on the bright side and urging others on especially when they hit a setback. That's what all we Bonesmarties need sometime. I'm glad to be able to give a positive report!
 
Hi Diane

That is a great report to read. Fancy you missing the last train - love it :th_heehee:, all I can say is that you must have been having a great time and good for you :thumb: I'm so pleased your knees are doing so well with your recovery.

France was great - just a little wet at times but it didn't bother us!

Have a good week :thumb:
 
Wonderful report from my surgery buddy!! Diney, I am so happy for you, life is such a blessing isn't it?

I am doing ok, not so good as you but I do see the light at the end of this long, long journey. My other health problems---osteoarthritis in all my joints, and fibromyalgia---cause me lots of pain in addition to the pain and swelling I still have from my knee. My other knee has also been very painful the last few weeks, but I just can't talk about replacement for it just yet. I am still so happy with my life---wonderful family and friends---I just keep on keeping on, counting my blessing each day!!

I have been following Natalie Meadows' thread, she is in so much horrible pain with no help availabe for her, it sure makes me more determined to do all I can to get better and not complain about my pain.

I will continue to read your reports and say a prayer for your continued good recovery!!!
 
Thanks Luvtocamp
I know there are lots of people with hard struggles on this site and it does make me think how lucky I am.
You certainly have to be brave to tackle this recovery and when you have additional issues like you it's doubly hard. I know you will get there in the end!
 
Hi, Diane -

It sounds like you're doing great!! I'm doing well, too. I've been getting busier and busier and will hopefully update my saga soon. I feel amazingly blessed.
 
Nearly four months and seven months

Well, I have mostly been getting on and enjoying life. I stayed with my sister and her husband in Norfolk for a few days last week and we walked on the beach and saw some seals. It was such a great feeling striding across the sand BUT unfortunately I never seem to know when to stop.

Because I had walked nearly three miles without any setbacks I thought I must be ready to try a guided walk in London. When I tell you what I did you might think I was being too ambitious and even a bit foolish, but it did seem a good idea at the time!

On Monday I left the house at 9am and caught the train and tube to London. I was there early so had to stand and wait till the walk started at 11am. I was shadowing one of my colleagues, learning the new Olympic walk route. The walk was about three miles but with lots of stops and standing still and finished at the new Westfield shopping mall at about 1pm. I knew by then that I had probably done too much. No pain but very tired. I got home by about 3.30 and went to bed!

It's now Thursday and my newest knee in particular has been sore and painful ever since the walk. I think my knees are telling me that I should have been satisfied with a few days away - doing more walking than normal plus a four hour drive each way to Norfolk.

But Instead of giving them a well earned rest I then marched them round London for a few hours!

I know they will settle down in time but I am cross with myself for attempting to do so much at this stage. I think I need to revise my timescale about going back to work and give it at least another month!

I do hope the rest of my Bonesmartie chums are progressing well and being more sensible than me!
 
Diane, we do just seem to insist on getting a little carried away when we are feeling really good! But you did at least discover that you're still not quite ready to get back to work. Much better than finding it out while you're in charge of a tour group.

That walk on the beach and the seals sounds heavenly. Its good to hear that you are getting on and enjoying life. That's what having these surgeries was all about in the first place.

Take care of those knees and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Diane

Oh dear, it is so annoying when we feel so good and feel back to normal with our stamina and wham we get a wake up call that our knee is still in charge. It's so easily done but at least you know to scale back from work commitments now. Your trip to Norfolk sounded lovely.

All good here with me - still no wedding outfit - panic is setting in :rolleyespink: . Tomorrow is another day I am off outfit hunting again!
 
Hi, Diane -

My goodness, I can relate, except I'm not nearly as ambitious yet. Back at work full time now, so that's not too bad. I started doing a walk at lunch that includes a little uphill, a little downhill and 52 stairs (first down, then up). The walk is nice because it is helping me build stamina.

However, what's not helping me is when I have to stand around for a little while (hallway conversations, etc). Buzz does not like that at all, although I'm happy to see that Neil is "a-ok" with it. Boy, does Buzz get stiff when I do this! I sometimes think standing is much worse than walking (Buzz gets pretty stiff after a long shower, too).

Another new development - the skin across the front of Buzz went into sensitive overdrive this week. It had been pretty numb, so I guess some nerves are waking up. It woke ME up the other night.

The knees are in charge!

Good luck finding your outfit, Jo. The time is getting short!
 
Hi all

Judy
Thanks for the message. I have attached a photo of one of the seals to show how close I got - and also one of me walking on the beach!

Jo
I hope the shopping trip is successful!

Barb
You are so right I think it is the standing that is the real killer. You seem to be doing really well, back to work full time. I hope good progress continues.

I have cancelled my May guiding job and am going to try and be patient for a little longer!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Diney's got another new knee!
    IMG_1007.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 175
  • [Bonesmart.org] Diney's got another new knee!
    IMG_0060.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 163
Oh, Diane, that seal pic is fantastic----you really were close! And you look so happy walking on the beach. Have a great day!
 
Hi Diane
Thanks so much for your post on my thread. I hope you have a good trip to France and enjoy the wedding. Thanks for your support regarding my Mother, it's tough to see our beloved parents suffering. We have to find some inner strength to deal with this part of our life. Thanks again for your support. Take care and have fun :thumb:
 
Jo, I'm so sorry about your mom. I've been through it and it's the hardest thing I've ever experienced. My heart goes out to you and your family. Some people fade slowly and gently and are happy in their world. I wish that for your mom.
 
Diney,

Please post some pictures of you in all your wedding finery, can't wait to see them. Have a great time this weekend, just don't overdo it.
 
Well I am back from my wedding adventure in France and have attached two photos. One of the happy couple (my best friend's daughter and her groom) and one of me in my hat standing with my son.

It was a lovely occasion. The ceremony was outside under the trees and then we had canapés on the terrace below the chateau before going inside to eat.

And I did manage to dance! Just one bop but it made it all worth while! As Jo said on her post about her son's wedding, there was a lot of standing and a very busy day but my knees were OK.

I also attempted another test walk for the Olympics on Monday evening and my knees did better this time. The left knee is five months old today and still gets a bit twingy and sore but I can tell it is improving slowly all the time. The right is eight months and very happy. So I am hoping that I may get to guide at least one walk before the games start on July 27.

I hope everyone else is doing well!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Diney's got another new knee!
    IMG_0091.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 166
  • [Bonesmart.org] Diney's got another new knee!
    IMG_0088.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom