TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

Congratulations on the new knee!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Congratulations on your stereo knees, Diney!

You know how it goes this time - ice, elevate, rest. You'll soon be leaping about, judging by last time round.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Welcome back, glad to hear you are doing well. Hope someone figures out what is going on with your Mum.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I forgot to say. My rom was measured on my new knee before I left hospital and it was 90%. I asked if the PTs would measure my three month old knee and it is now 120%. I mention this as encouragement because apart from two sessions in hospital it's all my own work, mainly heel slides and straight leg raises. I also walked a little bit further each day until I could do a mile at my six week check up. If I can get there anyone can!
 
Re: TKR week four question

I totally agree, all I have done is heel slides, exercises for extension and that exercise where you bend your foot under a chair and push it a bit further with your good foot. I gave up on the exercise bike, too boring. I think my muscle tone is as good as it was before and I can walk for an hour with the dogs. My husband measured my ROM today and it's 130. Proof positive that the English way works.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane! Well look at you! Stay away for a week or two and come back to find you have another new knee! Sounds like you are doing great. I know you have to be relieved to have the second knee behind you--and the way the surgery was moved up so quickly, at least you didn't have time to get nervous! Looking forward to hearing how this knee progresses. You are a pro at this now! Niki
 
Re: TKR week four question

think my muscle tone is as good as it was before and I can walk for an hour with the dogs. My husband measured my ROM today and it's 130. Proof positive that the English way works.

Yes, like you, I can walk for an hour with my dogs - it's great - and I notice that I am walking a little faster now, too. And they get a second walk of 30-40 minutes which is now usually with me.

I do think dogs are the best convalescent aid possible - they make you get out and walk, they keep you company, they make you think about something other than your knee and they are always cheerful!

Mind you, I'm not sure that a fully-grown Irish Setter bouncing on the new knee is the greatest therapy ever but the knee seems to cope!

So what interests me is, how do you measure your ROM at home? I've no idea what mine is - it was 120 at the last physio but that was 4 weeks ago.

Diane, you will be able to measure your new knee against your old-new knee and see the progress in the bend!
 
Re: TKR week four question

My husband measures it with a large hinged ruler! He measures the angle at the hinge and follows the diagram in the library regarding where/how to angle/point the two lengths of the ruler. It seems to be pretty accurate because he got it the same as the physio the last time I was measured by her. I've done it on my own and although it's a bit awkward it still works. I tend to measure it when I'm lying down with my knee bent up as far as I can get it.

I so agree about the dogs, and like youI'm walking faster, much to the relief of the dogs! Mine are a greyhound whippet cross who runs for miles in the fields opposite my house and a toy poodle who tries so hard to keep up with the other dog and doesn't stand a chance, she has to run to keep up with his fast walk!

I measure my new TKR against my old TKR and they about the same now. I enjoyed watching it catch up.
 
Re: TKR week four question

For anyone who has an interest:

Amazon.com: goniometer this is a link to where you can by the goniometer like the PTs use to measure your extension and flexion. They seem to be relatively inexpenive.

I got one and the PT showed my husband how to measure for me.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound?? Have been waiting for you to post. You know the rules now just to follow them. Glad to hear your children are coming over to give you some help.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks everyone

I am already amazed at the differences between my two knees. It took eight days for the quads to fire up with the first one but this morning when I tried the straight leg raise on the new knee it lifted a few inches straight away!

Also this time I seem to feel freezing cold a lot of the time. I have been given iron pills because my blood test showed I was a bit anaemic but I think this will sort itself out soon.

I will definitely be following the Bonesmartie mantra and am not planning any train trips to London for a long while!

Josephine sorry to bother you again but could you change my thread name to something more appropriate to my new situation like: Diney's got another new knee!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Also this time I seem to feel freezing cold a lot of the time.
I think that's the body taking all possible resources to the healing process. I too feel cold much of the time -- but a couple of weeks ago I'd be in several layers, in a warm room, huddled under my dressing gown.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Rose,

I have just ordered one! £6:99 and free delivery. Just have to work out how to use it. And how to say it.

Diane,

Isn't feeling cold a sign of shock? And of course, after major surgery, there is bound to be an element of shock to the system. The cold snap we are having probably isn't helping either. Drink loads of hot drinks - hot chocolate, mulled wine, soup, mulled wine ...................
 
Re: TKR week four question

Glad to hear things are going well! You have such a great attitude. I too was very cold after my surgery, my fuzzy blanket followed me everywhere! Not sure if it was trauma, anemia or just my response to pain, but it is better now.
 
It's already changed, Diney :wink1:

As for the goniometer, be careful how you use it. It's very easy to get a bad reading.
I have instructions here Range of Motion (ROM) Information

Also a link where to buy one as your links are dead, Karmigirl.
 
I just went to the Amazon site and searched for goniometer. I have tried to paste the link to the page in here but it doesn't work if you try to follow it - I've no idea why!

They have quite a few - I went for a cheapie.

Thanks Josephine, I will be careful, but to be honest, it's idle curiousity rather than any great concern.
 
Hi Diane, I hope you are having a good day. I am freezing cold too, especially my feet. My husband is having a moan as the heating is on full pelt :th_heehee: but I ignore the comments! I wonder if the asprin could be adding it to it, as it's thinning the blood - just a thought :rolleyespink:
 
Thanks Josephine!
Jo: yesterday we had the heating full on and made a fire and I had a blanket on the sofa! I'm sure the cold feeling is to do with the after effects of the op and all the drugs. I feel a bit more normal today thank goodness!
This first week I'm just walking round the house every hour or so and doing lots of resting. The first knee is bearing up but twinges at the back - I don't think it's used to so much rest!
Tomorrow and Friday will be interesting when I will be looking after myself in the daytime. I've got my backpack ready and my thermos flask!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom