TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry you are struggling with pain. Second day in hospital was my worst day too. That's the day they added toradol to my oxy 5-325. They also had me on a muscle relaxer and meloxicam (anti inflammatory). They stopped my toradol late on the third day though because it was not going to be a med I could take at home. It seems by then though the oxy and other meds were doing the trick. These first days are rough but they will pass. When you get home to your nest with your ice machine you will feel much better.
 
That should give you some relief...dilaudid does work quick!
 
Not sure. I guess I need to je able to walk further thst three feet to be sent home
Right now it letup some but now terrified to call to go the bathroom. My 7.5s are due in anothr half hour.

The food is good & I'm not nauseated any more just cant eat more than a few bites. I sure hope for a litte improvement tomorrow.

Thanks all for sticking with me today.
 
dianehelen,
I hope your pain is better controlled. You will have to walk further than 3 ft before you go home. It gets better everyday, tomorrow you will walk further.
 
That sucks they had me on every 4 hours for meds and nurses used to come in just before 4 hrs was up even at night. They were also giving me diclofenac/voltaren through the iv until I went home. I did have the femoral block as well so I really didnt have break through pain. I was getting out of bed on my own using my walker to go to the loo and back which was more than enough exercise with pt. I think you have to walk more than 3 feet before you go home. Wishing you a pain free night.
 
It does get better and the sooner you can get home, the better you'll feel. Those first few steps are terrifying, but they get better, too. My biggest problem that second day was getting dizzy. Once that was conquered I could walk better. You will get there.
 
Im not dizzy. But the transition from bed to walker then just turning around to use commode is just excruciating. I had meds, waited half hour for relief, then rang for potty brigade. I am sleeping well, so that's good, other than the every few hours for vitals & meds.

Oh and clara @uva55 I now "get" what you warned me of re sore abdominal muscles. Oh yaa owe

I hope I see some, even a teeny bit better tomorrow.
 
I don't remember getting ANY medication in the hospital. I must have really been out of it. I do remember walking up and down the hall and getting yelled at by the nurses because I went to the bathroom by myself. I also remember getting violently sick at night and not eating any food at all. Everything started getting into focus once I got home. My mind cleared. The ice machine worked and life became much better. I am wishing the same for you soon.
 
Diane, this DOES suck. I remember my OS coming in on day 2 and telling me day 2 was the worst. That seems to be a common thread here. So then, tomorrow will be better. I'm glad they gave you an extra. Just keep insisting. I don't know why they cut people off dilauded. Really, what's the difference, in fact. But whatever, it is painful for many of us to walk early on....although@Floridagal was walking the halls and I'm in awe of that!
 
Hopefully you can go home soon. Keep asking for the pain meds as much as you need them and let your OS know if they aren't working. As each shift comes on in the morning continue to ask them to bring you the meds by the clock. Good nurses want to do whatever they can to help their patients feel well and have as little pain as possible on the way. You'll be home soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Diane, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I was in such pain and so out of it I barely remember much of the hospital, but once I went over to transition care (day 4) the pain was less and more manageable. You don't want to go home until your pain is under control.
 
Just woke up at 4am UK time and checking how you're doing. Hang in there Diane, better days ahead. Just make sure you go home armed with a cross section of drugs that keep your pain under control.
 
Don't know what to tell ya. I was home 6 hours after surgery, which was on a Friday. Saturday morning I was calling to ask for something more for pain. They told me to double up the oxycodones - 5/325's (I am NEVER given the higher dosage ones for some reason), but all that did was land me in the ER a week later. But.... if you look at it this way, Halloween is just 2 1/2 months away..... and in 4 weeks, you'll be feeling better, in 6 weeks, you'll be feeling so much better.... then in 8 weeks, even better.... by Halloween, you'll probably have a hard time remembering exactly what the pain level was while you were in the hospital! By Thanksgiving, you'll be thinking wow! I don't hurt nearly as much! I wouldn't have believed it myself, but I am about 11-12 weeks out, and the pain is already tolerable maybe 95 % of the time. I still have twinges; I am still extremely sensitive on the inside of the knee; I still have numbness on the outside of the knee; things like walking to the "north 40" on hilly land for bomb drills give me pain and my knee will "give out"; etc, but overall, I am (painwise), okay - it is tolerable. In fact, it sort of crept up on me. The excruciating pain in the beginning was more than I had ever experienced before surgery, and I thought THAT was bad. It is just now that I am finally not feeling the arthritic pain in my knee. (I still felt it in the beginning.) And I still have swelling, but again, it is tolerable and I am bending as much as I can. I don't do exercises every day because I still feel somewhat worn out and don't have the time for them, but if I think about them while watching TV, I'll do a few stretches, etc. Never thought I'd be the one to tell you it gets better, but it does, and I am! Course, if I were ever to do it again, I'd make sure the doctor knows upfront that I need more pain meds than what he gave me and that his PA needs to not tell me to be off them within 30 days! I do still take a hydrocodone at night (lower dosage, of course), but I am going to try it without now since even the night pain seems to be letting up some. Keep the faith! We are! We know you will be fine. And remember, you can vent here!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so the good, I'm sleeping well , beds are really comphy. only time im not in pain is. Either sleeping if not moving.my stomach is killing me from not eating and taking pain meds. Had a loose bm at 4am maybe that will help. Pt has been very gentle and easy going, not pressuring me

But I'm up to the 7.5 Percocet along with 2 pure oxy slow release and not sure how many but got an oxy ir last nite, helped some. Im trying to force down graham crackers before the meds todsy.the lack of appetite is. bizarre huh

The bad is I still cant take more that a few steps with the. Walker

Gonna have to get hubby to switch the recliners, I will indeed need the lift one
 
Thank God you are able to get some sleep. It will help those first few days go by a bit quicker. The stomach thing sounds horrible though, I hope that improves for you soon. I think a lot of us had a hard time walking this early on. If you can't take more than a few steps then don't try.
Sending hugs
Tabby xxx
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Glad you were able to get some sleep. That will help. Hopefully they will get your meds situation worked out. Walking is hard at the beginning. I found that the first few steps were really bad but it got a little better after that. Hope you get to go home soon.
 
Pt just left. She was very gentle. Had more diarrhea, ughh guess better than constipated. Rom is 80/2 , I guess that is ok for now. Walked a bit more, but my right side now hurts from putting so much on it, keeping it off the left

Probably go home today
 
Hope you can go home today. Things are better when you are in charge of your care at home. Wishing you a pain controlled day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom