TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have an ace wrap over the incision then you don't need anything else between the pad and the ice. As far a a potty run try to take it about 45 minutes approximately after you take pain meds so they are on board fully. It will start to get better every day but right now you still are in a fog of all the meds. Have your husband help to make sure you take your meds at the right time.
 
Glad you are home you can try drinking a smoothie or a protein shake if you dont feel like eating it will help with the pain meds. Also try drinking yogurt its good for your tummy as well. Hang in there the ice will eventually feel good it needs time to get through the bandage. Take care :)
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
I also found the colder the shake was, the more it helped to settle my tummy.
 
I'm glad you are feeling a little better, I didn't have an ace bandage so I could feel the cold of the ice pack, it may just take a little longer to get thru all the layers!!!
 
They cut mine off, too. But, once that cold get through it's going to feel so good! Keep it up all night!
 
Ya hubby has been great. He is a night owl and will bring my oxy at 12:30. I will set my little bed phone for 4:30 oxy. Al so have tramadol for breakthru. Tho so far cant distinguish pain from breakthrough, it's all just pain , ouchie.

@FlaGranny are you able to sleep in your bed at. Night? How you feelig today, 2 days ahead of me? Same question @zammie24 . @FlaGranny still thinking you will go thru in 6 wks?
 
Dianehelen,
So glad that you are home! I always find too that I feel so much better around my stuff and in my space. You will look back on this thread in a few days, weeks, months and see just how much better you feel. Hang in there. At least the surgery part is done!
Jen
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Bedtime is whenever and wherever you fall asleep. Try to find where you are most comfortable.
 
hopefully you are asleep right now. Are you sleeping in bed or recliner? Hope you are able to find a relatively comfortable spot.
 
Hi all! @dianehelen I'm camping out in my first floor guest bedroom for a while / slept well due to meds but trying to wean off -been icing and elevating as much as possible- it hasn't been too bad! Did u all get the elevated toilet seat/commode? That's a huge help


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Hey, Diane. You have endured a lot! Take a moment to pat yourself on the back. You did it - you had your surgery, and it is over. And you survived. That was a big brave thing, and you did it and because of that you'll be able to enjoy your life more. Be so proud of yourself. I really enjoy the past tense nature of the verbs above, so don't let that go unnoticed. Also note the future tense of enjoying life more.

Interesting that they gave you Tramadol for break through pain and oxy for your main med. Mine was just the opposite - I had and loved Tramadol round the clock and had oxy in my back pocket in case things got miserable. If the Tramadol works for you, it has the advantage of less brain fuzz. Surprisingly to me, extra strength Tylenol also helped. I would never have believed that, because I've never thought it did much for me for a headache or any other ache or pain. But for surgery pain, it was great. I still take one on occasion when my knee announces its displeasure. Adding Tylenol allowed me to have something for pain every two hours.

When I left the hospital my surgeon told me to do whatever makes me comfortable. Keep the ice on as much as feels good. Put your leg in whatever position feels best. And what I'm saying to you is to love yourself. You did great and every hour you are healing. Rest comfortably now. :console2:
 
Morning. So first night home not great but not super terrible. Wierd how I was nodding off in recliner, so got into bed right at 10 just after meds. Had hubby set med alarm for 2am, I had one set for 6am. Bed was decently comfortable but could NOT fall asleep. Hubby came in at 2 figured that would do it , nope 3am took 2 tylenol pm, still nope 4am took a xanax, I think I dozed o n & off till aboit 7. Also the elevation is not comfortable in bed. So I took it off. I know I can sleep on& off all day in my lift recliner. Hubby got up, set me up with ice, pillows, meds coffee & yogurt, then went went back to bed.

Lets see how first whole day home goes. Walking still quite painful, but able to put some weight on it. 45 mins to oxy time.

Thank you every one here for your wonderful support and care. It REALLY comes thru

:flwrysmile:
 
@dianehelen - I didn't have an ace bandage wrap after the first day, just a dressing. I would think the ace wrap would prevent the cold from helping. Is it necessary?

I couldn't put much weight on my knee at first, too. I leaned on the walker quite a bit.

My husband would put my daily medicines in little dipping dishes so they would always be close at hand. That was very helpful.

I'm sorry you couldn't sleep very much. I hope you're able to get some rest today.
 
OK Cheated took 8am oxy 10 mind early. New area of pain rearing it's ugly head, actual incision right over knee cap, hope it kicks in asap.
 
I'm here too following your progress and hoping for the best for you. Your husband is a gem. It will get better day by day. You have what you need - pain medicines, ice, a comfortable bed and a loving caring husband! The rest will follow in time.
 
Glad you're home. It takes a few days to get your home routine established...but you will and it will make things easier. You did a lot of research prior to surgery in regards to what worked for others. Now you need to evaluate what works best for you. Hopeful for a good day for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom