TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a pretty picture! I didn't get one until my first visit with the OS. Try to get some protein down. Maybe a protein drink. That will help with the nausea and the healing! Sleep as much as you can. Start asking for those meds 20 minutes early, maybe then you'll get them on time. Throw a fit!!
 
Nursing supervisor to Diane's room STAT! There's no reason you can't tell your nurse to bring you the pain meds every 4 hours around the clock. I found that easier when working in the hospital than trying to rush and get the meds when called. I could plan my day better. If no ice machine then they can get you some ice. Be tough. You can do it!
 
Not no ice, just no ice machine . They have no ice packs, that I baery feek thru thick ace. Wrap
 
Welcome to your new knee. You know what to do and what to expect, but everyone's still here if you need anything. :wave: keeping you in my prayers
 
It's quite acceptable for you to feel weepy Diane. I allowed PT to push me too hard when I was in the hospital- right about the time my nerve block wore off. I SOBBED for 30 minutes. I can't ever remember crying that deeply! But I let it all out with the PT and my fiance' standing right by my bed! Finally the nurse came in with some happy juice and put me out of my misery! I hope they've given you something that helps you sleep by now. Bless Your Heart- I'm praying for you~
 
Do that have gel packs? They gave me an ice machine to take home, but the hospital used high gel packs. It is very normal to get weepy when you're in pain. I remember they sat me up in a wheel chair and I just laid my head on the tray. Ask to see the floor nurse if the pain meds don't get better.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Hope they get the pain under control. You are one courageous lady, but pain gets to the best of us. I cried for most of the time the first few days, when I wasn't being sick. Hope you can get some rest too.
Tabby xxx
 
Day two with your brand new knee! Hope you had a restful night and that your pain is controlled. If it's not, you know what to do. How long will you be in the hospital? It's so much better when you can be home and settled in your "nest." Hang in there...every day will be better and bring you closer to your goal.
 
Morning all
So I have been sleeping alot , guess that is normal with all the pain meds. Pain at 1or 2 when in beb. But standing goes to 8, on the back oh the leg . Did that seem normal? Having hard time typing on tablet.

Sto up earlier, peed in bedside commode.

Guess today will be bsttle with pt oh well.guess I will hande It.

Thats all for now. Nausea ok, wii try to eat some bfst
 
Good morning, Diane. You are on the road to recovery, whether it feels that way right now or not. The inside of your new knee looks great - no bone on bone! And I'll bet your leg is straight now. I like to think of how strong all that metal and plastic is, even though it feels so fragile to you. Little by little you'll be unattached from all that medical equipment and you'll be able to feel the improvement that is happening in your body. Our bodies are truly amazing - without us consciously doing anything, all the cells are very busy monitoring and adjusting to promote healing.

I cried at the drop of a hat throughout my recovery, whether I was in pain or perfectly fine. I think it was just all that built up emotion flowing out. I discovered that although moving was painful for me, I think it actually made me feel better. Just changing your position can help.

May you have a comfortable day today, and may you notice improvement. Mostly may you feel the love that surrounds you.
 
Sending you good thoughts, Diane. You are amazing -- soon you will feel better. As for ice -- there's no excuse for not having it. Have your husband stalk the desk until they get it. I'm an old ICU nurse and I can tell, desk stalkers get priority. Also having him follow your nurse around (nurse stalker!). Polite firmness about whatever you need and a time limit for getting it, as in "I would like my pain medication that is due at ___. Please be sure I have it no later than __". The nurses aren't being slow or lazy - they're just juggling too much stuff. Giving time expectations helps them prioritize (I am a nursing prof now, and I teach my students to teach patients this technique -- self advocacy).


RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/2016
 
Ok drain is out did not bother me. Took immonilizer oit. Biggest wieird problem, having trouble typing on my tabLET. wonder what is causing that
 
You are on your way! When do you get to go home? Hoping everything is well and going good for you.
 
Saw pt, he was very gentle. Did 4 ecersizes. 5 ankle pumps 5 but clench. 5 quad pumps. Wants me to sit in chair 2 hours,dont think I'll make to. Hurting..


P
 
You can't type because you are loopy from pain meds, anesthesia residuals, general opioid stupor! I couldn't forM coherent sentences for weeks, as I recall. Nothing to concern yourself about. All part of the process. Glad to hear that PT was gentle. Do keep doing your ankle pumps. They're important. Medicate, medicate. I hope those nurses get it together. As a nurse I have often been appalled by some of my colleague's disregard for the urgency needed.
You are well loved here on BS. We're all looking out for you!
 
Ask for more pain meds if you're still hurting. Get it under control. The last med they gave me was a muscle relaxant and it helped everything work together and finally gave me relief.

Thinking of you.
 
do not sit in the chair!!! Your leg will be hanging down swelling all the time. You need to lie in bed with your leg elevated!! Sitting in a chair!!! that is crazy!!
 
Hello, Diane. I can't believe you made so many posts while in the hospital. I didn't make any until Wednesday night. Maybe I'm just lazy huh? That's a shame about the ice. I woke up in recovery with the ice machine already running and they sent me home with it. I am completely thrilled with the care I got at JFK Hospital. All calls were answered over the intercom immediately, and I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for someone to come in. I told the nurse I would give them an "excellent" rating if the hospital calls for my opinion. They were "super" good.
 
Diane, hurting on the back of the knee is completely normal. So is calf pain. I think that was the worst the few first days. Keep after them for meds and ice! Hopefully, you can get home really soon and can take of things yourself!
 
See, I told you the removal of the drain does not hurt. You can't type because of the happy juice, I kept falling asleep on the tablet, then when I woke up I would find lines zzzzzzzzzzmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkkkkkkkkkkkkkkllllllllllllllllll, LOL, it will get better, see told you PT not bad, I am glad you are feeling a little better, sleep as much as you can.

When do you go home???

I hurt on the back of the knee, the calf and thigh.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom